Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheels wheels everywhere and only one......

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
......that fits the bill.

So I've literally checked every wheel on t'interweb to the point of loss of the will to live.

Factor in load rated and TUV approval and that knocks out 90%.
Factor in required rim size/width/ET and PCD and were down to a hand full.

Throw in a colour choice (black not silver) and hey presto zero.

Silver it is and I'll have to have them powder coated black.

Bugger!

Well so long as you don't try to pass the Belgian MOT with them you'll be fine... ;)

But then what's wrong with those lovely BBS original wheels you have? I went to Hamburg for a set of those!
btw - I've seen those BBS powder-coated black and they looked fine :thumb

Don't you start. That's Mrs Pods favourite FAQ!

Reminds me of losing the will to live looking for T25 wheels, plenty would fit but wow wheels are confusing. I gave up in the end and stuck with steels. That said I still have a set of granada scorpio wheels in the garage I need to move on.

Last edited:
Reminds me of losing the will to live looking for T25 wheels, the plenty would fit but wow wheels are confusing. I gave up in the end and stuck with steels. That said I still have a set of granada scorpio wheels in the garage I need to move on.
Indeed. Unbelievably tricky to actually get the manufacturers load data!!

Normally I have capacity for sh*t like this but I'm a broken man!

What really hurts is I've ended up with my first choice.
That's a month of my life I'll never get back.

V nice. T4's run 112x5 PCD not 120x5 so a different world of pain.

Nice colour scheme, black on grey.

V nice. T4's run 112x5 PCD not 120x5 so a different world of pain.

Nice colour scheme, black on grey.
Actually they have some nice stuff. Good work

So as a baseline, what are people using as an acceptable load rating for a wheel?

I'm not talking corner weights of the van but what is actually stamped on the wheel?

Best I've found so far is 880kg for a 17" wheel.

So as a baseline, what are people using as an acceptable load rating for a wheel?

I'm not talking corner weights of the van but what is actually stamped on the wheel?

Best I've found so far is 880kg for a 17" wheel.
20170121_134441.jpg
Last edition wheels 17 "

Ah the Holy Grail. 8.5J?

For sale obvs?

Ah the Holy Grail. 8.5J?

For sale obvs?
Not sure but I think 8j17 et45,not for sale used as winter wheels at the moment.Not easy to find in vgc but avaliable from Germany €400+shipping costs,set of tyres and respray-not cheap.

So with those rims/tyres, what ride height are you running?

So with those rims/tyres, what ride height are you running?
Three fingers on the front from the the wing to the wheel is the lowest I can go on the roads I am driving without modifing (cutting and welding chassis )17"wheels with tyres are similiar to16"original wheels.I will leave California standard height due to weight and bumpy ride on the original springs.Pickup is in different league.Anybody tried Caravelle or Multivan springs?

The rear is easy to check by removing spring and damper and simply stroke the suspension through its travel. Front not so unless you unload the torsion bar pre load.

Those wheels on the pick up were stock option so presumably ok with standard ride height.

My Cali is currently at -40mm front/rear on standard 16" BBS rims.

Hopefully a 17" Autec Ethos ET45 7.5J will clear.

My Cali is currently at -40mm front/rear on standard 16" BBS rims.

Hopefully a 17" Autec Ethos ET45 7.5J will clear.
And hopefully you'll look kindly on poor folk like me who crave your existing wheels.......

I can see where you're going there but I think I'll be keeping them. :thumb

Nothing wrong with the suspension just not like Multivan or Caravelle.Red I has different wings than 102 p's wersions so you can fit wider wheels anyway.

I can see where you're going there but I think I'll be keeping them. :thumb
I'll have a word with Mrs Sidepod. I can't see her letting you keep 2 vans and 2 sets of alloys........

All good Intel guys. Many thanks.

Interesting on the bodywork for the red i model.

Some Wolfrace wheels popped up on Facebook. Very sexy on a T5.

I didn't know about the bigger wings. We'll have to meet and compare....don't say it anyone.

Not any bigger just shorter lip,more space for the wheel.