Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheely Big

Private_Kelly

Private_Kelly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have ordered a California Coast. Not as well specced as an Ocean but equally as good if not better than my old 2010 SE.
Which brings me to the point of the endless array of options that VW and indeed all auto manufacturers use to wring as much money out of our wallets as possible. We are all different and like different things so hey spend away and enjoy. But the one thing I don’t really understand is the obsession some people have with big wheels. I had the option to upgrade to 17 or 18 inch wheels. I opted not to bother. I think the 16 inch Claytons will do the job and they look OK. I mean it doesn’t end with the wheels. Tyres are next on the list and then they have to start messing about with the suspension. Surely VW have spent an awful lot of money researching the optimal set up for their vehicles but we apparently know better. I suppose if I was going to spend all my time doing laps of the Nurburgring I may consider the option myself but since I will be stationary for a good chunk of the time admiring the view and chilling I don’t really care what I’ve got strapped to my axles. Anyway as I said earlier we are all different and at the end of the day whatever floats your boat. Mine floats perfectly well with 16 inch Claytons.

I have ordered a California Coast. Not as well specced as an Ocean but equally as good if not better than my old 2010 SE.
Which brings me to the point of the endless array of options that VW and indeed all auto manufacturers use to wring as much money out of our wallets as possible. We are all different and like different things so hey spend away and enjoy. But the one thing I don’t really understand is the obsession some people have with big wheels. I had the option to upgrade to 17 or 18 inch wheels. I opted not to bother. I think the 16 inch Claytons will do the job and they look OK. I mean it doesn’t end with the wheels. Tyres are next on the list and then they have to start messing about with the suspension. Surely VW have spent an awful lot of money researching the optimal set up for their vehicles but we apparently know better. I suppose if I was going to spend all my time doing laps of the Nurburgring I may consider the option myself but since I will be stationary for a good chunk of the time admiring the view and chilling I don’t really care what I’ve got strapped to my axles. Anyway as I said earlier we are all different and at the end of the day whatever floats your boat. Mine floats perfectly well with 16 inch Claytons.
At least you have a Spare wheel/tyre, I presume.

16" Claytons have taller tyre side walls so should cushion the ride better than bigger diameter wheels thereby promoting a better ride quality. As I understand it the overall diameter of the tyre/wheel combo stays more or less the same regardless of the diameter of the wheel used. So the greater the wheel diameter the shallower the tyre side wall.

However, having had Claytons before I have discovered that for me at least, the best ride quality is obtained from 17" wheels with 235 tyres. (However, I must mention that I haven't tried bigger diameter wheels on a Cali). It may just be me, but the side walls appear to be more flexible giving a less crashy and more car like drive.

I have always thought that the 17" VW Devonport alloy is the optimum choice of wheel. It's designed for the transporter range, is very robust and is easy to clean. Also, it doesn't have any sharp edges to promote corrosion as with the diamond turned types. If you damage one they are a lot cheaper to have refinished than a diamond turned example. Also unlike that type of wheel there is no limit to how many times it can be done. They are reasonably cheap and easy to obtain on Ebay with delivery miles only. However most sets come with 215 tyres which give a harsher ride. I imagine they have all been removed from Transporter vans and are therefore aimed at a harder life with heavier loads. These tyres have stiffer side walls and whilst fine for use on a Cali, they are not as comfortable as the 235 tyre. Nearly new Devonports with 235s are rare on Ebay so if that's what you want it may be easier just to add the option onto your order. However, I'm sure you will find the Claytons just fine.

As for the type of tyre, that depends on where you live and how you will be using your van. We have 235 all season tyres which I think provide a reasonable compromise for all year round use. I'm no expert but they aren't as good as full on winter or summer tyres but save you having two sets. Living in the south of the UK we don't usually have harsh winters so they suit us just fine. If you go to areas where they experience lots of snow and ice you may need dedicated winter tyres which have the ability to stay flexible in extremes of cold. That and the abundance of small slits (sipes) in these tyres give them a far superior grip in winter conditions. Full summer tyres give greater grip and optimum stopping performance in the warmer months. All season tyres aren't supposed to as good at coping with summer or winter conditions but they are a very good compromise.

I agree on the suspension issue. Leave it well alone.

Last edited:
Big advantage of being happy with 16" wheels is plentiful supply of new, straight from the factory, ones available. Alloy wheel & tyre both new for the price of 4 tyres or less.

VW production suspension is a compromise based on cost and designed for vans which can have anything from a no load to full load to carry.
Cali's run at either full or close to it most of the time meaning that for those that wish to they can have the suspension tuned to their own criteria..

“I suppose if I was going to spend all my time doing laps of the Nurburgring I may consider the option myself but since I will be stationary for a good chunk of the time admiring the view and chilling”

Its not the Nurburgring, but roundabouts are a regular encounter. I found standard suspension way to wallowy on our T6.1 hired last summer (lots of disconcerting bodyroll, particularly noticeable on exiting roundabouts when steering changes from pointing right to left). So I went for 30mm lowering springs on our new Ocean and it is a definite improvement.

16" Claytons have taller tyre side walls so should cushion the ride better than bigger diameter wheels thereby promoting a better ride quality. As I understand it the overall diameter of the tyre/wheel combo stays more or less the same regardless of the diameter of the wheel used. So the greater the wheel diameter the shallower the tyre side wall.
Borris I disagree, the narrower tyres run at much higher pressures which negates any benefit from the increased sidewall depth.

“I suppose if I was going to spend all my time doing laps of the Nurburgring I may consider the option myself but since I will be stationary for a good chunk of the time admiring the view and chilling”

Its not the Nurburgring, but roundabouts are a regular encounter. I found standard suspension way to wallowy on our T6.1 hired last summer (lots of disconcerting bodyroll, particularly noticeable on exiting roundabouts when steering changes from pointing right to left). So I went for 30mm lowering springs on our new Ocean and it is a definite improvement.
Agree - the wallowing in a standard T6 Ocean we rented, prior to buying our own Cali, was disconcerting at best and sickness inducing at worst.

Very happy with the VW 30mm lowering springs on our Cali - quite transformational.

However, having had Claytons before I have discovered that for me at least, the best ride quality is obtained from 17" wheels with 235 tyres. (However, I must mention that I haven't tried bigger diameter wheels on a Cali). It may just be me, but the side walls appear to be more flexible giving a less crashy and more car like drive.

I have always thought that the 17" VW Devonport alloy is the optimum choice of wheel. It's designed for the transporter range, is very robust and is easy to clean. Also, it doesn't have any sharp edges to promote corrosion as with the diamond turned types. If you damage one they are a lot cheaper to have refinished than a diamond turned example. Also unlike that type of wheel there is no limit to how many times it can be done. They are reasonably cheap and easy to obtain on Ebay with delivery miles only. However most sets come with 215 tyres which give a harsher ride. I imagine they have all been removed from Transporter vans and are therefore aimed at a harder life with heavier loads. These tyres have stiffer side walls and whilst fine for use on a Cali, they are not as comfortable as the 235 tyre. Nearly new Devonports with 235s are rare on Ebay so if that's what you want it may be easier just to add the option onto your order. However, I'm sure you will find the Claytons just fine.

As for the type of tyre, that depends on where you live and how you will be using your van. We have 235 all season tyres which I think provide a reasonable compromise for all year round use. I'm no expert but they aren't as good as full on winter or summer tyres but save you having two sets. Living in the south of the UK we don't usually have harsh winters so they suit us just fine. If you go to areas where they experience lots of snow and ice you may need dedicated winter tyres which have the ability to stay flexible in extremes of cold. That and the abundance of small slits (sipes) in these tyres give them a far superior grip in winter conditions. Full summer tyres give greater grip and optimum stopping performance in the warmer months. All season tyres aren't supposed to as good at coping with summer or winter conditions but they are a very good compromise.

I agree on the suspension issue. Leave it well alone.
I've recently moved tyre size from 235/55/17 103V to 235/60/17 106V SUV and although only a 155 mile run done it was noticeably smoother (approval gained from the passenger) and what were 'crashy' road sections now give a dull thump. Same tyre pressures used but may drop by 1lb.

So if you increase the aspect ratio from 235/55 to 235/60, doesn't that result the circumstance being greater, and hence putting the speedo reading out? I guess but not much, but it would be nice to know by how much.

So if you increase the aspect ratio from 235/55 to 235/60, doesn't that result the circumstance being greater, and hence putting the speedo reading out? I guess but not much, but it would be nice to know by how much.
Speedo now 100% accurate, agrees with TomTom at all speeds.
Previously when speedo indicated 70 TomTom gave it as 67.
Speed now also agrees with 2 of those roadside speed warnings in the Village Main through road. Previously could do 42 (on the speedo) for a 39/40 speed indication.

Now getting used to no margin over speedo indication.

Do you automatically get the bigger brakes if you opt for the bigger wheels?

Brake size is related to engine power.

Speedo now 100% accurate, agrees with TomTom at all speeds.
Previously when speedo indicated 70 TomTom gave it as 67.
Speed now also agrees with 2 of those roadside speed warnings in the Village Main through road. Previously could do 42 (on the speedo) for a 39/40 speed indication.

Now getting used to no margin over speedo indication.
I'm surprised it's as much as 3 mph at 70mph. As long as you know what it is, especially as it is now indicating the correct actual speed, I would consider it's an advantage.

I'm surprised it's as much as 3 mph at 70mph. As long as you know what it is, especially as it is now indicating the correct actual speed, I would consider it's an advantage.
Was 2MPH out on Summer tyres. Put Nokian Weatherproof All season tyres on and lost another 1MPH.
I found that (Nokian & Vredestein) All Season tyres both have a smaller outer diameter than Summer ones.

Result is 2MPH gain on Summer tyres., Michelin CrossClimate SUV All season fitted, one of a few that have 106 load rating in that size, most being 102.

Evening GrahamB
Has a new member to this fantastic group, I’ve just come across this thread.
I have recently ordered a new Ocean and prepared for the long wait to collection day.
The dealer offered the 30mm lowering springs as an option, which you have and are obviously pleased with the ride and body control over standard suspension.
I know I can use my imagination, but would you be able to post a photo of a side on shot of your van for me please ?
I have not seen another Cali with genuine 30mm springs fitted.
I’d love to see how it’s sitting, compared to standard, before I choose this dealer fit option.
Regards

Heavy duty ARB's (Anti roll bars) are must have to reduce corner & roundabout roll. 50mm drop is more common than 30mm on the Tx range.

There’s been a number of posts saying that the heavy duty ARBs are now standard on 6.1; would be good to have that confirmed.
I was very happy with the VW 30mm lowering springs on my T6, 50mm would have been too much imho and at the time there was no route to get there with OEM kit (I think there may be an expensive B14 or similar option now). Will be going for same 30mm springs on the 6.1 when it arrives; I prefer both the ride and looks, although both previous and new van will be on 18s most of the year.
This is my previous van (T6) with the genuine 30mm springs fitted and on the winter wheels; not the best phot but will give you an idea.

DC2237CC-E762-4CED-8028-0585A8BCA2A9.jpeg

Evening GrahamB
Has a new member to this fantastic group, I’ve just come across this thread.
I have recently ordered a new Ocean and prepared for the long wait to collection day.
The dealer offered the 30mm lowering springs as an option, which you have and are obviously pleased with the ride and body control over standard suspension.
I know I can use my imagination, but would you be able to post a photo of a side on shot of your van for me please ?
I have not seen another Cali with genuine 30mm springs fitted.
I’d love to see how it’s sitting, compared to standard, before I choose this dealer fit option.
Regards
Here you go @RubyCalifornia - best side on shot I have of mine. One thing to note - the ground clearance of rear mudflaps isn’t great when the van is lowered. These are the dealer fitted ones (I forgot to tick the factory fitted option). So they occasionally touch the ground on steep angled slopes or speed bumps. But it doesnt worry me, and the handling is definitely improved, much less rock’n’roll through roundabouts...F88680AF-050A-4240-A3CF-92B9ED9B5AC0.jpeg

If it floats your boat then fine keep the 16"s, I couldn't wait to get them off! VW didn't build a camper until years after westfalia modified a transporter so no VW don't always know better. The beauty of owning a VW Van is that it is blank canvas, a rug in the habitat may be enough for you for others it may be bigger wheels or a change of suspension or whatever. Personally I find the different looks i.e swamper or street low or all the different looks in between interesting. If you love stock that's fine it's a great van. Don't hate the customisation, there will be good and bad but VW will learn from the better aspects, they always have!

Here you go @RubyCalifornia - best side on shot I have of mine. One thing to note - the ground clearance of rear mudflaps isn’t great when the van is lowered. These are the dealer fitted ones (I forgot to tick the factory fitted option). So they occasionally touch the ground on steep angled slopes or speed bumps. But it doesnt worry me, and the handling is definitely improved, much less rock’n’roll through roundabouts...View attachment 79251
Thanks so much for the photo. It’s only personal opinion but it does look much better slightly lower
I shall certainly be having that done at the dealer when it arrives sometime in the next century.
I have not had a test drive of a standard Cali so unfortunately I will not have anything to compare it too.
When this photo was taken, was the boot loaded with your gear ready for a trip as it’s not completely horizontal ? Slightly front end high ? Only asking as Ive read on two different threads about people’s concerns of the van not sitting correctly after having the 30mm VW drop.
really appreciate your reply.
it’s certainly made my mind up on having the lowered springs.
your van and colour scheme look fantastic Graham.
We have gone for white over copper bronze, and I’ve had factory mudflaps, but I guess there isn’t much difference on the dimensions from factory to dealer fit.
Best Wishes and thanks again
enjoy your bank holiday

Thanks so much for the photo. It’s only personal opinion but it does look much better slightly lower
I shall certainly be having that done at the dealer when it arrives sometime in the next century.
I have not had a test drive of a standard Cali so unfortunately I will not have anything to compare it too.
When this photo was taken, was the boot loaded with your gear ready for a trip as it’s not completely horizontal ? Slightly front end high ? Only asking as Ive read on two different threads about people’s concerns of the van not sitting correctly after having the 30mm VW drop.
really appreciate your reply.
it’s certainly made my mind up on having the lowered springs.
your van and colour scheme look fantastic Graham.
We have gone for white over copper bronze, and I’ve had factory mudflaps, but I guess there isn’t much difference on the dimensions from factory to dealer fit.
Best Wishes and thanks again
enjoy your bank holiday
718253EF-9ADE-486A-B007-BC59EBE71DC1.jpeg
Hi @RubyCalifornia
As you have gathered from your search this has been debated before - check the thread:
“T6.1 VW 30MM LOWERING SPRINGS ?”
I have tweaked the second attached photo with about 1 degree of rotation to make the horizontals (bottom edge, chrome strip and colour change line) all look horizontal. If you scroll up the page to align with the edge you will see the hub centres and top/bottom wheel rims are also aligned horizontally. The van is not loaded at all. The apparent rear sag is an optical illusion because the front arch has a higher gap to allow for cornering clearance. A chap called Rowls on here didnt like the look and apparently put his rears back to standard leaving the lowering springs on the front to give a more balanced look at the arches - he said this is approved by Eibach but in fact his van would have been sitting nose down. The downside would also be you would surely still have the same roll tendency at the rear on the longer springs and I am not sure how the suspension balance would work. Unfortunately I think Rowls left the forum so we cant ask him! Thanks for your kind comments about the van - its looking good in that picture as it was just picked up from the detailer. It had to be two tone for us and I am sure you will love yours. The wait will be worth it! Have a great weekend.

There’s been a number of posts saying that the heavy duty ARBs are now standard on 6.1; would be good to have that confirmed.
I was very happy with the VW 30mm lowering springs on my T6, 50mm would have been too much imho and at the time there was no route to get there with OEM kit (I think there may be an expensive B14 or similar option now). Will be going for same 30mm springs on the 6.1 when it arrives; I prefer both the ride and looks, although both previous and new van will be on 18s most of the year.
This is my previous van (T6) with the genuine 30mm springs fitted and on the winter wheels; not the best phot but will give you an idea.

View attachment 79250
18" wheel makes no difference to lowered aspect, just has more metal and less rubber than the 17" wheels (with standard tyre sizes fitted to both).
B14's are a lowered design for use with lowered springs.

30mm looks practical.

View attachment 79261
Hi @RubyCalifornia
As you have gathered from your search this has been debated before - check the thread:
“T6.1 VW 30MM LOWERING SPRINGS ?”
I have tweaked the second attached photo with about 1 degree of rotation to make the horizontals (bottom edge, chrome strip and colour change line) all look horizontal. If you scroll up the page to align with the edge you will see the hub centres and top/bottom wheel rims are also aligned horizontally. The van is not loaded at all. The apparent rear sag is an optical illusion because the front arch has a higher gap to allow for cornering clearance. A chap called Rowls on here didnt like the look and apparently put his rears back to standard leaving the lowering springs on the front to give a more balanced look at the arches - he said this is approved by Eibach but in fact his van would have been sitting nose down. The downside would also be you would surely still have the same roll tendency at the rear on the longer springs and I am not sure how the suspension balance would work. Unfortunately I think Rowls left the forum so we cant ask him! Thanks for your kind comments about the van - its looking good in that picture as it was just picked up from the detailer. It had to be two tone for us and I am sure you will love yours. The wait will be worth it! Have a great weekend.
Thanks again Graham.
It still looks fantastic and I appreciate your time to reply and grateful for the information you have given.
It’s definitely something I will be organising near collection date.
Best Wishes

Back