Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When on hookup, does the inverter still invert?

MrNick

MrNick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Does anybody know - when you're plugged into hookup, would the inverter still be running from the leisure battery and inverting 12v up to 230v, or would it be supplying 230v direct from the hookup?

Trying to work out the best way to power a device when parked up and on hookup.

Mind you, if you're on hookup the leisure battery will be charging anyway, so even if the inverter is still operational it shouldn't be wearing down the leisure batteries (or would it!?)?

the inverter only gets its supply from the battery(according to the circuit diagram), the the battery charger is also charging when the hookup is attached. if you don't want to use the inverter you would have to remove the plug from the inverter and put it into the 230v socket by the sink.
2017-03-08_10-52-40.png

Last edited:
You are correct the inventor would use the leisure battery that would be charging on hook up

Just use your UK outlet while on Hookup !

Ah yes, sorry should have explained - trying to keep that socket free for kettle etc, while having another socket free for low-power devices, without having messy extensions.

I was going to post a new question, but maybe I can join mine to this very helpful thread: in my pre-facelift 2008 Cali, there are a couple of extra 12v "faglighter"-type sockets (the manual says 4, but I'm buggered if I can find any more!). Do these run off the leisure or the main car batteries? I'm getting paranoid about draining the car battery on long stopovers with much radio-listening and phone/laptop-charging, and I'd use these sockets more if I knew they used leisure batteries/hookup. And which battery does the electric door-closer run off? Thanks.

I was going to post a new question, but maybe I can join mine to this very helpful thread: in my pre-facelift 2008 Cali, there are a couple of extra 12v "faglighter"-type sockets (the manual says 4, but I'm buggered if I can find any more!). Do these run off the leisure or the main car batteries? I'm getting paranoid about draining the car battery on long stopovers with much radio-listening and phone/laptop-charging, and I'd use these sockets more if I knew they used leisure batteries/hookup. And which battery does the electric door-closer run off? Thanks.
Got a T6 but presume yours is similar. Have a look up in the rood space. Mines next to light switch. Other locations are next to kitchen plugs, those in dash, one in the boot, offside and the one well hidden one under front right side of bench seat next to sliding door.
Basically I treat its as anything not standard on a builders van runs off the leisure batteries, I believe this includes electric doors.
Plug something in and see what reading you get on battery display.

Mike

they run off the leisure batteries, apart from the one on dashboard which runs off starter battery.

Back