Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When parked up the audio switches off after a few minutes

Re: When parked up the audio switches off after a few minute

I have a feeling that these units are 'put to sleep' via CAN so whilst a hardware wiring solution may be possible I think the CAN has an influence and hence my suggestion of a software solution.

Yes Alex confirmed this in an earlier post

The Kenwood takes it's power feed from the CAN network from the van, so when the network shuts down when the key is taken out (after 20 minutes) then the stereo will shut off as well. It is possible that the stereo may come back on if a door opens as this will activate the CAN network again.

So it seems you could be correct Stu that powering from leisure battery may make no difference.

It would be nice if vagtech could comment
On this :clap

There is of course the opportunity to interrupt CAN to the radio although it's a slightly more brutal way of rowing things.

If you were going to the trouble of fitting a switch to switch live supplies you could also ad an extra pair of terminals on the switch to switch off CAN Hi & CAN Lo. Not something that interests me though to be honest.

Equally neither does running the second supply. There is a danger that you could cause a short between the normal supply from the Van and the supply from the Leisure Battery if you didn't have a properly isolating 3 position switch that went from ON - OFF - AUX.

I have just spoken to a chap called stereo steve
You can buy a dedicated kit for this job i will
Try and find out more :thumb

I thought it was 'SatNav Simon' or is that his brother?

I have just spoken to a chap called stereo steve
You can buy a dedicated kit for this job i will
Try and find out more

This maybe what he is on about, but it does not do anything on the can bus wiring. Spoke to Xtremevan about it earlier. When I mentioned that my Cali was can bus he said he knows very little about can bus. Also suggested talking to Stereo Steve.

http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4995

Interesting.

I think the reason that doesn't work is because it works on the relay being a normally open type held closed in normal operation by the power supply. Interruption of that supply causes the relay to open the contacts that switch the normal supply and close the contacts that switch the secondary (leisure) supply. Reinstatement of the original supply would then switch back.

Did anyone speak to "Stereo Steve" or find a definitive solution to this issue yet? Or did anyone find a work around that doesn't involve a great deal more hassle than getting up off my @rse and switching the stereo back on again periodically when parked up?

:D

Unfortunately I have some experience of the CAN standard and kits. My radio/DVD switches off after 30 mins even with the key still in.

It would be possible to put a small device between the standard audio connector with a in circuit CAN filter. Unfortunately I do not know the on-wire can signals for the Cali so I do not know which message to filter out. It would need someone to put probes on the CAN bus and wait for the power off. Repeat a few times to be sure of the message causing it and then program the filter to dispose of the offending message. If you change the power source to leisure and it is a CAN command it will make no difference.

The hardware would be about ÂŁ50 to ÂŁ75 to start although I have some of the parts. Once it was working a PCB could be knocked up and it may drop to around ÂŁ30.

I agree, you need to interrupt CAN, I think we've discussed this further up in the thread but I'm unsure of the situation with radio code if CAN is interrupted for any length of time.

Sure it uses targeted messages so an inline filter can just sit between the loom and the radio and pass all the CAN messages to the radio with the exception of the one for the power off which it discards. If the radio unit has a power button that would be fine.

Now in the case the power remains on and the CAN tells the radio to turn off the downside is unless you add a switch to send the power off and you have a head unit with no off switch I.e. the devils Kenwood 520 it may not power down even with the key off.

OFC if the CAN message is not to the radio itself but to something else then adding a piggy in the middle board is not going to work.

EDIT: okay now I get it you mean the radio code. That should be fine unless the CAN cuts the power rather than turning the device off. If it's simply an off but continues supplying enough power for the volatile memory to stay refreshed then it should b fine.

By the way does anyone know if the Cali is on CAN 2.0 or 1.3?

The Phaeton switched to 2.0 in MY2008 but they are very different beasts :)

CAN TP2.0 I think Don.

Rrrruhhhh?? :crazy

Getting up and switching it back on manually it is, then.

:laugh2

A simple switch setup, will allow normal every day use with the key, and when you are parked up flip the switch to different position, then it will stay on until you switch it off, only works with aftermarket units

Back