Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where can you view a brand California in a dealership? And can you put a roof box on them?

• Thread starter Zoetheyogateacher
  • Start date
Z

Zoetheyogateacher

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi

We're keen to buy a California Beach Camper. Does anyone know of any dealerships which have display models?

Also... questions ..

1) Can you put a roof box on one? I've seen a camper with one on (not a California)

2) Does it come with a leisure battery? I couldn't see it in the spec

3) Does it come with external hook up?

4) Is the fridge a standard feature?

5) Am I right in thinking the Camper model has the tiny foldaway kitchen?

I think that's it.

Thanks everyone

Do not own a beach, but I think these are the answers to your questions. Others might add or correct me.

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes (possibly as an option)
4) no I don't think so. You buy it seperately I believe.
5) yes

Must add though, that the answers to these questions can be easily found online.
This VW Brochure summs up all the standard equipment that's in a beach for example.
photo.jpg

Last edited:
I have the brochure but couldn't see the leisure battery mentioned. I've looked on threads and thought they were in there but wondered if any of you guys can confirm it.

Thanks

Thanks for that photo. Genuinely couldn't see the leisure battery bit. I did think it was strange!

My guess would be that it's 'the second battery' that is referred to in the brochure

Any idea where to view one?

With that I am afraid I couldn't help you, as I am not in the UK. I'm sure another forum member will come along shortly and give some suggestions.

Do not own a beach, but I think these are the answers to your questions. Others might add or correct me.

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes (possibly as an option)
4) no I don't think so. You buy it seperately I believe.
5) yes

Must add though, that the answers to these questions can be easily found online.
This VW Brochure summs up all the standard equipment that's in a beach for example.
View attachment 83904
Do you know.... the battery ain't listed in my brochure....

Screenshot_20210903-125908_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

In this thread someone else wondered whether the 6.1 beach (UK-version) has a leisure battery. The answer is yes.

Do agree that the UK brochure is not very clear on it though. On the next page though, it is referred to.photo2.jpg

Can't find a local dealer with the Beach but can find one with the Ocean so we're going to see that

Can't find a local dealer with the Beach but can find one with the Ocean so we're going to see that
Depends where you are in the country. Not all very dealers deal with californias, only the ‘lifestyle’ dealers. Of them there are a few who are known to be the main ones - the three biggest that spring to mind are Liverpool, Tonbridge and Breeze in Poole. I’m sure others will add in ones I’ve missed but I think these ones sell the highest numbers so most likely to have demos. But because of the high demand at the moment, even they might not have much to show.

Where are you based?

View attachment 83904
That looks like a pre - T6.1 brochure- or does the beach still get the old style slatted upper bed?

I couldn't find the Camper version on UK configurator. Only the Tour.

Tour had limited options. perhaps more from a dealer.

Demand may have taken the Camper off the UK list? Could speculate as to it being the last 6.1 production year now.

Liverpool have all 3 in.

The 2 leisure batteries in the Ocean and Coast are under the passenger seat and under the wardrobe with access from the boot.

Yes you can have a box on the roof. Different weight allowances for the roof down and the weight when the roof is up

Configurator for T6.1 Beach is still on the VW web site… just done mine.

T6.1 Beach camper comes with Froli bed pads not the slats.

Leisure battery is under the passenger seat.

E3703392-6A81-41AB-AD95-AADA6F82F09F.png

£73K!!! for a Beach???!!!!!
admittedly a posh one..
dumbstruck....

We ended up finding an Ocean nearby. I think the tax position is better on an Ocean so after all that we're probably going to get an Ocean. Although we will probably never use the cooker or the sink. It's not possible to take those out, is it? I think for the car tax they need to stay, don't they?
Depends where you are in the country. Not all very dealers deal with californias, only the ‘lifestyle’ dealers. Of them there are a few who are known to be the main ones - the three biggest that spring to mind are Liverpool, Tonbridge and Breeze in Poole. I’m sure others will add in ones I’ve missed but I think these ones sell the highest numbers so most likely to have demos. But because of the high demand at the moment, even they might not have much to show.

I assume you mean car tax or VED?

The Beach Camper with pop hob is the same as the Ocean.

The Beach Tour with double sliding doors has higher VED.

If you definitely don't want the cooker or sink then don't buy an Ocean as the Beach will work better in most circumstances if you are also using it as an MPV/daily driver. If you start adding a cooking pod and proper compressor fridge and the diesel parking heater the price can quickly match the Ocean but buy what works for you not because the price is right.
Kitchen/wardrobes not removable.

Be aware that the Beach camper has the single sliding door and built in mini cooker, leisure battery and a hook up. The diesel parking heater is an extra and is not the same as the Auxillary Pre heater listed. The Auxillary heater just warms the engine up quicker in cold weather and can run for short periods on residual heat. The parking heater can run all the time until the leisure battery or diesel run out and is what you want for camping beyond the summer. Bodytype campervan.

I think that the T6.1 Beach Tour has a leisure battery and twin sliders but no electric hook up (as the sliding door would hit it) so relies on the engine to charge the battery. The mains plug on drivers seat is only on the 300W invertor. It is classified as a bodytype MPV so higher VED.

I would suggest you hire an Ocean unless you have used one before. Or see if someone nearby has a Beach you could look at.
If you gave a rough idea of where in the country you are someone might be happy to meet.

Back