Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where did all the Cali's go?

BenPcaliman

BenPcaliman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Second hand stock seems to be drying up. Where else can I look for a second hand Cali?

Here
AutoTrader
Motors
EBay
Vw-vans
Honest John

Quite the opposite I thought, seems to be lots listed since the summer.

What´s your price range ?
Are you looking for an Ocean/Se or just a people carrier ( beach ) ?

Second hand stock seems to be drying up. Where else can I look for a second hand Cali?

Here
AutoTrader
Motors
EBay
Vw-vans
Honest John
Some of the hire companies will probably be replacing their fleets soon; probably when the MY19’s are released so there may be a few around then.

Or you can have mine in 5 years if you can wait! ;)
:welcome

Quite a lot for sale on here at the moment, people will either be selling now after the summer or keeping for another year I guess.

Bide your time - you can find the ideal Cali regardless of time of year and usually within a month in my experience, you might need to put some miles in. The two best places by far are here and eBay.

Just beware as ever of some truly fanciful prices being asked for a few of the Calis for sale on this site. No-one in their right mind would go near the asking in a few listings...

Just beware as ever of some truly fanciful prices being asked for a few of the Calis for sale on this site. No-one in their right mind would go near the asking in a few listings...
That has happened I agree, but I just had a quick look on Das Welt Auto listings, and now need a sit down. Stock on here is looking much better value. Also amazed at the ratio of Beaches to Oceans on there, particularly sub £50k.

I often take a look on the VW used van website and there is normally about 70 for sale and generally an even split of Beaches and Oceans.

Just took a look and its showing 41 Beaches and 40 Oceans so definitely more available on there at the moment than usual.

I've been watching the Das Welt Auto listings -- there's quite a lot of vans that seem somewhat overpriced - and they have been on there quite a while......

would it be reasonable to expect that the dealers will eventually significantly drop the prices (i.e. 10%)?

or do they tend to cling on until someone somewhere buys at the inflated price?

what's the mentality of these dealers?

Last edited:
Unfortunately i cant afford a ocean but have a max of 40k for the right SE. Its difficult to know what price is a reasonable price to pay.
Still winter is coming so no rush i guess

I've been watching the Das Welt Auto listings -- there's quite a lot of vans that seem somewhat overpriced - and they have been on there quite a while......

would it be reasonable to expect that the dealers will eventually significantly drop the prices (i.e. 10%)?

or do they tend to cling on until someone somewhere buys at the inflated price?

what's the mentality of these dealers?
I would say with some robust haggling you might get 10% off, if you have no p/x!

I would say with some robust haggling you might get 10% off, if you have no p/x!

Yes, probably worth a try...(has anyone been successful with this? --neither Leicester Van Centre nor Vindis in Northampton centre were interested in negotiating, but that was in mid/late August)

The end of 2018 is on your side for a salesman’s end of year figures.

is now "the end" ?

No, time of year makes no difference whatsoever in private sales IME but in the trade then traditionally the end of each quarter (ie end March, June, Sep, Dec) is where targets must be met and more deals may be available so hit the dealer on Christmas Eve maybe? Might be more applicable if buying a Fiesta or Golf but your typical Cali dealer? I'm not so sure...

I'm not so sure. I bought a 6 month old at Liverpool and got a free mug, that's all.
I'd rung them and offered £500 less than their asking price and was given a firm 'no'. Fortunately overnight they must have had a management meeting and I woke up to see it reduced by £1k, so bought it £500 cheaper than I'd offered 2 working hours before!

So don't expect much of a discount... Nor much logic.

I think there used to be a significant big psychological barrier at £50k. Breaking that for new vans took a while and then another while for used Oceans. Now there are plenty of used Oceans over that amount.
The £50k barrier is now being nudged by Beaches. The idea that a Beach was £10k cheaper than an Ocean has also considerably narrowed.

will try and let you know how I get on!

But there does seem to be great disparity between essentially the same van at different dealers.....which is also (to me) illogical

At a commercial van dealer the bread and butter money is the van sales. Let’s say they sell 50 units a month at £25k, 10% profit. The California, they may only sell 1-2 units with varying profit margins.
I’m sure they are happy to hang on with an inflated price for the right person to come along and pay it to maximise the margin on each Cali sold.

Last edited:
I’m another one looking at the moment. After an older two seat Beach preferably. Been looking in earnest for the last fortnight. Some private sale California’s are slowly coming down in price but a lot still seem to be going for dealer money.

For me, location is a consideration too. I’ve had a couple of Skype calls with sellers which isn’t something I’ve done before. But it means I’m getting to see a few without hours of traveling.

The right one will turn up soon

The discrepancy between dealers is to do with volume & allocation. Higher volume dealers can discount more plus have more quota incentives.

Demo ones are discounted by VW dictated rates, tho there is some wiggle room (so I was told, happy to be corrected.).