Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to go for a first trip?

califonication

califonication

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Any recommendations for where to go this weekend for our first trip?
We live in Bristol and would rather not go more than two hours drive. We've got a three year old and given it's winter, I want to make sure it goes smoothly.
Been looking at Whitemead in the Forest of Dean. I also looked at places in the New Forest, but couldn't find anywhere open this time of year.

As it is your first trip I would suggest you stay nearish to Bristol so you can come back home if the weather doesn't behave or something else isn't working. It's the being away that is the fun bit for children.
There are some nice sites around Cheddar http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...tm_content=Cheddar&utm_campaign=google_places
This is just underer 1½ hours from Bristol by the back roads.
Or Forest of Dean http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/forest-of-dean which is also close. We used to take our children camping here after school on Friday & then back Sunday afternoon.
Have you tried out the heater and all the other bits and bobs to make sure that side of the trip runs smoothly?
Simon

As it is your first trip I would suggest you stay nearish to Bristol so you can come back home if the weather doesn't behave or something else isn't working. It's the being away that is the fun bit for children.
There are some nice sites around Cheddar http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...tm_content=Cheddar&utm_campaign=google_places
This is just underer 1½ hours from Bristol by the back roads.
Or Forest of Dean http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/forest-of-dean which is also close. We used to take our children camping here after school on Friday & then back Sunday afternoon.
Have you tried out the heater and all the other bits and bobs to make sure that side of the trip runs smoothly?
Simon
Thanks Simon. Yes, we tried out the heater and that works. We hired one last summer, so we know a bit of what to expect, but obviously its going to be much colder...we're tying to only buy the minimum to start with until we figure out what we need, so no cali topper.

Very good series of videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxLoMkw6aq35KNvV9sNFM8A which explain in a helpful way what various bits do. Also how to use certain features on the vehicle correctly. We have found them very useful and corrected some of our bad habits.
The Cali Topper is not vital, but handy to keep rain off the canvas bellows which can be hard to dry out when you get back. It does keep the temp up a bit when it's cold, but it can be "fun" fitting it the first time.
If you want any advice or anything, we are towards the middle of Bristol, always happy to help other owners.
Good luck for the weekend. Hope it goes well.

Any recommendations for where to go this weekend for our first trip?
We live in Bristol and would rather not go more than two hours drive. We've got a three year old and given it's winter, I want to make sure it goes smoothly.
Been looking at Whitemead in the Forest of Dean. I also looked at places in the New Forest, but couldn't find anywhere open this time of year.
My suggestion would be somewhere near us in Gloucestershire, there are a couple of site near us, one that might work for you is the Tudor Caravan park in Slimdridge, Pub on site, the Slimbridge wildlife trust at the end of the road and Attwoolls Camping emporium just up the A38 should you need anything.

My suggestion would be somewhere near us in Gloucestershire, there are a couple of site near us, one that might work for you is the Tudor Caravan park in Slimdridge, Pub on site, the Slimbridge wildlife trust at the end of the road and Attwoolls Camping emporium just up the A38 should you need anything.
I like the sound of that one as well. Been meaning to visit Slimbridge for a while.

Mike

I like the sound of that one as well. Been meaning to visit Slimbridge for a while.

Mike

Personally, I would opt for Whitemead Park. It's a sheltered site, with tow excellent food pubs in close walking distance. For daytime activities there is Cannop Ponds, the Speech House sculpture trail and a couple of good viewpoints within a 10 minute drive - you might even spot wild boar!

Further afield there is the Forest Heritage Centre, Littledean Gaol, Symonds Yat and - if open - Clearwell Caves and Puzzle Wood, popular film locations for a wide range of movies from Robin Hood to the latest Star Wars.

Wherever you choose - have a great weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feeding the diving ducks at Slimbridge was the best fun 50 p ever spent!

If you are a CC member,

Tredegar house country park, Newport, might be an outside consideration.

Excellent CC Facilities on site, within the park a lake, nice walks, adventure park, shops, pub, chippy. Local outside the park wetlands. Cardiff a short trip away,

A number of marked, measured, running and walking tracks around the lake and the house, cycleways in and around the park.

All with that great bonus of travelling abroad :shocked

Last edited:
As it's your first trip and maybe cold/wet or both deffo stay somewhere decent. Caravan Clubs sites like Jen mentioned are ideal as the facilities will be top class. :thumb

Thank you for all the suggestions!! Just waiting for the delivery of the forums favourite Outwell Collapsible Kettle and we are good to go!

Feeling particularly proud to have received a message from GrannyJen and earlier in the week from WelshGas...makes me feel like a proper Cali owner!

I will let you know how the weekend goes!

Thank you for all the suggestions!! Just waiting for the delivery of the forums favourite Outwell Collapsible Kettle and we are good to go!

Feeling particularly proud to have received a message from GrannyJen and earlier in the week from WelshGas...makes me feel like a proper Cali owner!

I will let you know how the weekend goes!

You are a Cali owner, that makes you a proper one. In fact any member that has an interest in the social activity of this forum is a Cali owner in spirit regardless of the vehicle.:D

It is the lifestyle, the camaraderie, the discussions, the interests, the enthusiasm, but above all the mutual support that we give to each other that makes this forum tick,

It was just shy of three years ago that I picked Albert up, scratched my head wondering where everything went and what worked how before shrugging my shoulders and setting off to Lands end within 24 hours of removing the plastic wrapping off everything, We then experienced trial by fire, or rather torrential rain, as we parked up in the teeth of one of the worst storms for 100 years :shocked

Enjoy your weekend. Don't be apprehensive. The vehicle will do everything that you want of it then a lot more. If you are made for the lifestyle then the Cali is made for you :thumb:D

As per everyone else advice:
1. Not to far from home and have the dealers number with you in case you have questions.
2. Caravan Club site on a hard standing with electric hook up and get there about twelve so you can select your pitch and get to speak to the warden they are always very helpful.
3. Check the weather reports before you set out. It looks quite good with low winds for next week.
4. Let everyone here know where you are.

Enjoy your first trip in your Cali - we're certainly looking forward to our first trip next year. I agree with the advice you've been given to stay fairly close to home and go to a site with good facilities and things to do on site or nearby.

As you don't have any extra insulation for the roof you might want to bring it down before sleeping - unless of course you are sleeping in it! It makes things much cosier in cold weather!

As you don't have any extra insulation for the roof you might want to bring it down before sleeping - unless of course you are sleeping in it! It makes things much cosier in cold weather!
We had a winter duvet and a blanket with the parking heater set to 2. Early in the morning my head was a bit cold, but I've certainly slept in much worse. I was a bit worried because our boy was up there too, but he slept through till morning.

The first trip went well I think, apart from getting. A flat tire on a trip to Monmouth. Things we've learned:

1. Never try and change the tire yourself. Admittedly I'm not that mechanicaly minded, but with a van full of tools the AA guy struggled to get the spare back under the van.
2. Buy some Brandrup pockets. Loads of storage for big bits but kept loosing phone chargers etc and glovebox isn't accessible when parked up.
3. Car seat fits perfectly under the passenger seat
4. Thereford 355 is amazing and a lifesaver on a cold November night
5. Buy a camping hat, I looked like Doc from Back To The Future
6. Drink wine not beer (see 4)
7. No one needs two iPhones, two iPads and a MacBook in a small van. They spent the whole time in the bottom draw, a glass of wine and a book and we were very happy.
I've seen a check list somewhere so I'm going to print this out, kept getting in and out he can to unplug cables, turn off gas etc. Etc.

8. Does anyone else struggle unplug the power cable? I'm pushing the blue lever, but it still requires a lot of force?

An idea for keeping chargers, phones, books etc etc all in one place is to have a box which sits between the two front seats - ideal for putting odd bits in. When we go out we just throw a coat or similar on top to hide the contents from view. It works well for us and much cheaper than Brandrup pockets.

It is designed that way to enable a very good electrical contact. I have replace sockets and plugs that just plugged in and no positive click.
The damage they cause is not very good, with melting plugs and socket also burnt wiring.
Mine is still a good tight fit after ten years use.