Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

where to start..

T

The Weekend

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
GetFileAttachment

With our kids still young enough (5, 3 and 1) we thought we'd better get them used to the outdoor living we both grew up with. Was planning on camping from our XC90 but then decided a Beach would be ideal for us.
Had this delivered from a Kent dealer this afternoon, bought unseen, bit of a risk I know but hey ho, it had the spec we wanted, mainly anyway. (7 seats, DSG, sat nav and not black or white. We're easily pleased!)
Got home late from work today but my wife, Eva had taken delivery earlier.
Only had a quick look. It's missing the comfort topper (only has a padded multi-flex board) and cooling box.
List of things we want/need to buy to start with are:
1. Topper for upstairs and down. It's got seven seats, what would you recommend that folds/rolls as small as possible but will cover all seven seats folded down as a bed? Guessing the Ikea topper on another thread would work for upstairs?
2. Some plastic boxes as storage under the rear multi-flex board.
3. Drive away awning.
4. No rush but we would want a bike rack (4 bikes) and a tow bar.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
See you out and about

Ed

Volkswagen California 2.0TDI 150PS EU6 BMT DSG 2017 Beige

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 16.31.36.png

Welcome! You'll love your Beach!

Above is our storage setup. Window bags are from Van-Essa and boxes purchased from Cromwell.co.uk There's also room for our toilet behind the 2-smaller-middle boxes.

Comfort mattress shown also.

With our kids still young enough (5, 3 and 1) we thought we'd better get them used to the outdoor living we both grew up with. Was planning on camping from our XC90 but then decided a Beach would be ideal for us.
Had this delivered from a Kent dealer this afternoon, bought unseen, bit of a risk I know but hey ho, it had the spec we wanted, mainly anyway. (7 seats, DSG, sat nav and not black or white. We're easily pleased!)
Got home late from work today but my wife, Eva had taken delivery earlier.
Only had a quick look. It's missing the comfort topper (only has a padded multi-flex board) and cooling box.
List of things we want/need to buy to start with are:
1. Topper for upstairs and down. It's got seven seats, what would you recommend that folds/rolls as small as possible but will cover all seven seats folded down as a bed? Guessing the Ikea topper on another thread would work for upstairs?
2. Some plastic boxes as storage under the rear multi-flex board.
3. Drive away awning.
4. No rush but we would want a bike rack (4 bikes) and a tow bar.
- sell the cooling box on EBay and buy a compressor fridge
- when camping, leave seats 6 & 7 at home and put one child in centre non-isofix child seat
- an upper berth topper is not required if you have the original mattress
- Muji storage boxes: 1 x 18cm drawer, 2 x 24cm drawer and 1 x 30cm drawer fit •perfectly• under the Beach multiflex.
9819ff04f7be3148e2722361a67ffcd0.jpg

The drawers stack in the driveaway awning when camping
- I will be selling a well-used but perfectly serviceable Vango Kela 3, plus groundsheet and carpet for £100 shortly
- the VW Quasi bike rack is very good.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
Welcome on board!

Good choice, you’ll find the Beach not just a very good camping partner but a very useful vehicle for daily life with small kids.
We bought our Beach in February this year and after two trips away (3 & 4 nights) we’re still discovering what works for us a family of two adults and two kids aged 5 & 1.

It’s worth a single night away with minimal kit to get started otherwise you may end up with stuff you don’t need. If you’re on a budget for accessories then you can start cheap in some areas and prioritise what is more important for yourselves.

You’ll definitively need a topper on the downstairs bed, up top may be ok initially.

We found storage boxes better than a suitcase for clothes but next step is window bags for us.

Driveway awning is a great addition when camping with kids in the UK, and having used both i’m finding the current air beam one a bit easier to erect single handed than one with poles.

As already mentioned, leave seats 6 & 7 at home when camping, you’ll have enough stuff to carry/store when kids are involved.

Amarillo’s blog is worth a read, provides lots of useful tips.

Thanks all,
Really useful tips.
Just paid to upgrade VIP.
Will buy the Comfortz topper from here. Got a bungee.
Can't believe the pop-top isn't waterproof, will look into a Cali-topper.
I read Amarillo's blog before buying - brilliant, thank you.
Going to do a drawer storage solution like (i.e. exactly like) the one half way down page 1 of this thread
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/beach-mods-part-1-kitchen-pod-mkii-good-old-ikea-alex.18939/

Definitely going to try a night away not too far before buying much else other than the bare basics to cook on.

Cheers all

Ed

Time flies.. Did a few weeks in France, loads of weekends away, even stayed in it after a wedding!
Loving the Beech, hardly use my other car as using Beech as a daily works so well. Just traded our Mojo Beige in for a 22 mile Indium. Didn't check thru the spec thoroughly, this one doesn't have Carplay or sensors. Aaaggghh.
So Solar wireless rear camera on way. Not sure on cost of Carplay. This has a VW downstairs mattress - hope it goes flatter.
Kept my Ikea drawers from the last one, they work great. Cadac 2 and a twin gas hob.
Love the freedom, 6pm Friday - "what shall we do this weekend?" 8pm - all set up in The New Forest.

Thanks all
Ed

Back