Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to stash the car seats???

Carrot

Carrot

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just back from our first trip away in our Cali. It was a bit ...snowier than I expected for Easter but all good fun.

We had two kid's car seats with us - a high backed booster and a toddler seat - and they were a right pain shuffling them around. They ended up stacked on the driver's seat, meaning three of us had to squeeze on to the 2-seater bench at mealtimes.

Anyone got any tips for dealing with car seats? Do I need to buy them their own tent and let them sleep outside in the snow???

That's what I was thinking about - one of those cheap festival tents that you just fling up and peg down.

Would be good to hear if that's what others do too.

Just back from our first trip away in our Cali. It was a bit ...snowier than I expected for Easter but all good fun.

We had two kid's car seats with us - a high backed booster and a toddler seat - and they were a right pain shuffling them around. They ended up stacked on the driver's seat, meaning three of us had to squeeze on to the 2-seater bench at mealtimes.

Anyone got any tips for dealing with car seats? Do I need to buy them their own tent and let them sleep outside in the snow???
Leave the kids with the grandparents :D

What a shocking suggestion. I would never consider such an option, not even when they are poking each other in the roof bed and not going to sleep, nor when they are getting muddy boots on my new seats, not even when they are throwing tomato soup around...

Actually, you might be onto something there ;-)

We managed to get the stage 1 seat in the drivers footwell & the stage 2 seat in the passenger footwell. It does mean the seats are a bit closer to the downstairs bed but it's an ok compromise for us.

Open the top and trow them up there.....
The seats not the kids!
At night in the booth or frontseat ?
Edit : or as the post above said...

We managed to get the stage 1 seat in the drivers footwell & the stage 2 seat in the passenger footwell.
I will give this a try. Our toddler seat is a massive Maxi Cosi and I couldn't see it fitting but worth a go. My littlest is actually within the weight range for a booster seat, which would be easier to stash, but I don't like to move them too early, especially as she still likes a snooze on longer journeys.

What a shocking suggestion. I would never consider such an option, not even when they are poking each other in the roof bed and not going to sleep, nor when they are getting muddy boots on my new seats, not even when they are throwing tomato soup around...

Actually, you might be onto something there ;-)
Well, as grandparents it works the other way round for us! :D

IMG_0038.jpg

We use a Quechua 2 Seconds 1 man tent (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-i-pop-up-tent-1-man-green-id_8347888.html) for our 8 week olds car seat etc. The quality is fantastic for £30, and really is very quick to put up and down. Watch the video, it has a handy clip and webbing strap thing to help pack it up.

His seat is also a massive maxicosi with base, so it is very welcome to get it out the van for the night!!

You camp with a 2 month old?! Wow, you are amazing! I could barely get out the door with mine at that age.

That looks like quite a nifty little tent, and I think the kids would like to play in it too.
Well it's definitely not easy! But if he's not really going to sleep much when we are at home, we may as well be in a nice camp site by the sea with him not sleeping much!!

It will only get easier, and he will grow up with the van, they are almost the same age (the van being the younger one)!

Last edited:
We bought a drive away awning, as little extras such as the pram go in there too. Pitches in 6 minutes apparently...... Maybe that's with practice :)

We bought a drive away awning, as little extras such as the pram go in there too. Pitches in 6 minutes apparently...... Maybe that's with practice :)

I think eventually we might do this but want to resist for a while. The main reason we bought Campy (yes, that's what the kids call it...) was to have a rest from pitching and striking tents. We're past the buggy/potty/nappy stage though otherwise I think we would need the extra space too!

We use a Quechua 2 Seconds 1 man tent (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-i-pop-up-tent-1-man-green-id_8347888.html) for our 8 week olds car seat etc. The quality is fantastic for £30, and really is very quick to put up and down. Watch the video, it has a handy clip and webbing strap thing to help pack it up.

His seat is also a massive maxicosi with base, so it is very welcome to get it out the van for the night!!
+1

It's great to have somewhere to dump our 4 car seats of various sizes etc..in fact I also pull out the middle seat and put it in the tent - usually on a piece of cardboard so as to not rip the floor of the tent...those VW swivel seats are not exactly light...

Here's a pic of our decathlon 1 man pop up. We fit in 1 rear facing car seat, 1 high back booster seat, 1 balance bike and an islabike. Depending how much we pack some other bits go in as well.
It takes a couple of practice runs to get the knack of packing away, but otherwise excellent.

WP_20150913_001.jpg

Looks like the Decathalon Quechua is the favourite!

I watched the video of it being packed up and it looked deceptively easy. Too easy! I do have some experience of wrestling pop up play tents back into their bags so I'm up for the challenge :D

Thanks for sharing - I think this might be the way to go if I can't squeeze them into the foot wells.

No problems, packs reasonably small, about 2 foot in diameter and 4 inches thick.
Good tip is to wipe off bird droppings with a damp microfibre cloth.

Packs up about 2' in diameter and 4" thick. Nice and easy to fit in the back of the van.

I would recommend a few practice runs at home with the Quechua pop up.
Easy to put up but there is a knack to getting it packed up quickly (and without looking like a complete novice)
Apparently the new versions have colour coded straps and buckles to make it easier:thumb

Popup tent is definitely the way forward for car seats. We've used a Gelert one since we got the Cali. Also useful for sorting other bits and bobs while on campsites. If not on a campsite, we tend to not swivel the drivers seat and store them both on there. Makes eating a bit more cramped though.

Back