Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where would you go in February?

F

Fourier

VIP Member
We've got a week off in Feb next year, and I'm wondering whether to go away in the van - we haven't used it much in winter last year thinking it might be a bit chilly with the kids - but there is a heater after all and I'm keen to try - anyone got good suggestions for a winter destination? As we're up north I though about the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and a bit of a city break? Open to suggestions!

We go tend not to go too far from home (Southampton) we have a few days in Frbuary usualy by the sea Dorset Exmoor The van is nice a sug in the cold.remember high % of sites are shut and fields can be very wet hard standing amust for me, happy camping.

How old are the children? Is the City break for them or you?
The reason I ask is children of a certain age take some entertaining. Ever been to London.
Crystal Palace Campsite. Weekly travel card for Tube & Bus. Free museums, London Eye, River Thames Boat Trips, Parliament, Theatre, the Shard - could keep them entertained.
Used to take our gang ( 5 kids) every few years. Exhausting but worthwhile.

thanks - good suggestions - we have relatives in London so can blag a free bed off them for trips there! The kids are old enough (11) to enjoy big cities, UK or Europe - I thought a trip to places with indoor options should February be as cold and wet as I'm anticipating.

Or maybe just get a cheap flight to the canaries and save the camper van for warmer times...!

Don't save the camper van for better times, for there are no better times than now.

Now is when you want to go, now is this minute, tomorrow, next week or next year. A Cali is all about now. Now is when you look at the weather forecast, see strong winds and gales, sunny in parts and go to parts that are sunny. Or crap winter weather all over so lets go to a theme park, stately home or Portugal.

Give in. February is a rubbish month. Leave it until accuweather gives you a week's forecast and go where it says "nice for a week" or "less crap than anywhere else for a week".

Seriously, a Cali is something to keep packed, charged up, fuelled up, ready for when you say "let's just do it".

If it was me then I would head north. and as you are already half way up north then go further North. If it's going to be a really rubbish winter week then go where the rubbish weather translates into spectacular weather. Warm sleeping bags, on board heating, decent boots, good coats and enjoy what nature can deliver in our worst months. London might be warmer but hey, if it's a choice between clear minus ten, wet zero or damp plus ten then give me minus ten every time.

Excellent life strategy - unfortunately the schools in their infinite wisdom take a dim view of spur of the moment weeks off for the kids! I bet they'd get as much out of a week away somewhere new to expand their world view, but that's not how educational authorities see it!

I think you're right though, unless it's wet and wild we might head northwards and see what we find. And that means I can stop thinking about organising ferries and all that jazz...

Go Skiing; either drive to Europe or go North to Scotland.
We have been to southern Alps during Easter school break for the last four years and the kid love it. Last trip they were 15 & 17 years old but still enjoyed camping in California, refusing to consider flying next year.
Hope you & your family enjoy the freedom & fun traveling with your California.

Skiing sounds interesting - where do you stay? Are there sites with loos etc... near the slopes? And the van is warm enough? I've not been out in sub-zero temps yet...

Travel from Newcastle & stop first stop in Le Touquet, second night either Paris, Macon or Troyes, third night Annecy then Montgenevre.
We have accommodation for a week skiing. Would love to stay in the van, but have to wait until the kids don't to come. Most resorts have camping with facilities for motor homes.

Fourier said:
Skiing sounds interesting - where do you stay? Are there sites with loos etc... near the slopes? And the van is warm enough? I've not been out in sub-zero temps yet...

Glenshee end Feb this year. Public loos but no showers.
Staying in the car park is free and if you you get there at the right time a hook up is £5 a day. Only got six though and can't book one so need to be lucky. We use a small fan heater and an oil filled radiator at night but the van diesel heater would be fine if you can't get a hook up.
The Glen Coe ski area (possibly others as well) also has hook ups, don't know about charges though.

P1160425small_zps0ff3548e.jpg

P1160422small_zps598ad9d4.jpg

Back