Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which alternative air pump for Vango airbeam

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I have just brought a Vango Agora Air VW Drive Away Awning and I am too weak to pump it up manually. It would seem that the recommended vango airbeam digital zephyr air pump is out of stock. We have a RIng for car tires. Can we use that or is their another one we can use and do we need to buy an adaptor? Any suggestions welcomed.

I have just brought a Vango Agora Air VW Drive Away Awning and I am too weak to pump it up manually. It would seem that the recommended vango airbeam digital zephyr air pump is out of stock. We have a RIng for car tires. Can we use that or is their another one we can use and do we need to buy an adaptor? Any suggestions welcomed.
You will most probably cause the ring pump to overheat / cut out as it’s not designed for large volume. You would need an electric SUP pump for the volume, but always keep your engine running otherwise will drain battery:

We use a manual Double barrelled SUP pump (as we also have SUP’s), but they are quite bulky to store:

Argos do a "electric 12v car charger portable air pump" item 340/1778 Its exactly what you need £3.98 so shouldn't break the bank, its designed for air beds etc so perfect for the job.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Due to very limited stock and need to get a pump for my trip last week we got a Kampa gale which came with lots of fittings but not one for Vango. Based to online info it should have been compatible with the Vango but we had to do a modification. Cut the tube off the manual pump and using one of the fittings for the gale and glue modified the gale tube. It worked.

Vango fittings are even not the same for all years of manufacture.

However having fun getting the awning back into its bag. May not have waited long enough for air to leave the tubs when taking down awning. I had to just put it lose in the van having reorganised the things already in to get enough space. It was very heavy and I was doing it alone. My husband could not stay for the whole trip. With the manual pump you can pump air out but not with an electric pump and I no longer have a working manual pump. Ah well still learning. The awning was good when up but I see why the instructions say 2 people needed. OK for one person to put up but 2 needed to pack it away. Thinking about what I can do with straps to constrain it

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Due to very limited stock and need to get a pump for my trip last week we got a Kampa gale which came with lots of fittings but not one for Vango. Based to online info it should have been compatible with the Vango but we had to do a modification. Cut the tube off the manual pump and using one of the fittings for the gale and glue modified the gale tube. It worked.

Vango fittings are even not the same for all years of manufacture.

However having fun getting the awning back into its bag. May not have waited long enough for air to leave the tubs when taking down awning. I had to just put it lose in the van having reorganised the things already in to get enough space. It was very heavy and I was doing it alone. My husband could not stay for the whole trip. With the manual pump you can pump air out but not with an electric pump and I no longer have a working manual pump. Ah well still learning. The awning was good when up but I see why the instructions say 2 people needed. OK for one person to put up but 2 needed to pack it away. Thinking about what I can do with straps to constrain it
With the Vango Kela I need help attaching it to van but can do everything else on my own. Taking it down I make sure I fold it and roll it in the direction to push air out of the valves. Or just kneel / roll on it before folding it up. I’m sure you can manage on your own with a bit of practise.

With the Vango Kela I need help attaching it to van but can do everything else on my own. Taking it down I make sure I fold it and roll it in the direction to push air out of the valves. Or just kneel / roll on it before folding it up. I’m sure you can manage on your own with a bit of practise.
Thanks Alison yes practice makes perfect I hope.
My husband came to help me put it up the first time. We put a driveaway kit on it and I released it from the van then put it back on it by myself. As it is a drive away awning I think if I pump it up first the right distance from the van I should be able then to fix it to the van. I took a photo for reference for next time. I feed one black joining tube on first then fed the others behind it as the awing was supported. Two sets of steps one at rear and one to stand on when pulling the tape through. I initially had not realised that I needed a drive away kit so I learnt something. It should be easier than towing the caravan which I am not good at parking. IMG_20210516_112752.jpg

Thanks Alison yes practice makes perfect I hope.
My husband came to help me put it up the first time. We put a driveaway kit on it and I released it from the van then put it back on it by myself. As it is a drive away awning I think if I pump it up first the right distance from the van I should be able then to fix it to the van. I took a photo for reference for next time. I feed one black joining tube on first then fed the others behind it as the awing was supported. Two sets of steps one at rear and one to stand on when pulling the tape through. I initially had not realised that I needed a drive away kit so I learnt something. It should be easier than towing the caravan which I am not good at parking. View attachment 78842
I tried that approach (pumping up first) when camping with my dutch friend as a way to see if it would make it easier to connect - but we struggled to get the awning upright before attaching... so concluded me getting help to attach it (using driveaway kit) is the best way to go.

Back