Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Bike Carrier

Morganic

Morganic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm thinking of getting a bike carrier. I've looked at Volkswagen's own carrier but I don't want one permanently attached to the van.
Anyone got any recommendations? I was thinking on a Thule tilting one that fixes on the towbar allowing the rear door to be opened.
Would welcome some ideas please.

I'll give you about 20 mins before HotelCalifornia or WelshGas has done a search on the forum and posted it here suggesting you do a search... there's loads on here if you look. Good luck and I hope you find your answers.

You don't say whether it is for a T5 or T6? The VW bike rack doesn't have to be permanent, only takes a few minutes to put on/take off.

I'll give you about 20 mins before HotelCalifornia or WelshGas has done a search on the forum and posted it here suggesting you do a search... there's loads on here if you look. Good luck and I hope you find your answers.
Nope , now you said it so i swallow my words....:D

Like Larrylamb said .....need verhicle details....always the same people , asking Q's without giving verhicle details as it is top secret if they own a T4-5 or 6 Beach SE Coast or Ocean....
The neighbours are not on the forum , they will not notice a thing....

Nope , now you said it so i swallow my words....:D

Like Larrylamb said .....need verhicle details....always the same people , asking Q's without giving verhicle details as it is top secret if they own a T4-5 or 6 Beach SE Coast or Ocean....
The neighbours are not on the forum , they will not notice a thing....

Forget it mate. I'll find out some other way
Thanks to those who responded without the snide remarks!

Is it just me that cringes every time a fresh new member asks an innocent question that has been asked before and is curtly told what they should do? I have been a Cali owner for 6 or more years and love reading these forums, even the questions that pop up time and again, sometimes I even offer advice. But I am not so sure this is the welcoming, friendly place it used to be?! I appreciate the moderators role is not easy but even my accommodating, forgiving, easy going nature is struggling to find the positive message in this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry if my message was seen as negative. Not my intent at all. I was (a) trying to point out that it's possible to do a search maybe find answers for yourself and (b) if not, there are some regular members who are very knowledgeable about both the vehicles and what's on the forum who can also help. I can only apologise wholeheartedly if my response has been misinterpreted. :(

Altera Strada. Brilliant bit of kit.

Sorry if my message was seen as negative. Not my intent at all. I was (a) trying to point out that it's possible to do a search maybe find answers for yourself and (b) if not, there are some regular members who are very knowledgeable about both the vehicles and what's on the forum who can also help. I can only apologise wholeheartedly if my response has been misinterpreted. :(
Me too, was just giving my opinion having recently purchased T5 bike rack on how simple it is to fit and remove.

Is it just me that cringes every time a fresh new member asks an innocent question that has been asked before and is curtly told what they should do? I have been a Cali owner for 6 or more years and love reading these forums, even the questions that pop up time and again, sometimes I even offer advice. But I am not so sure this is the welcoming, friendly place it used to be?! I appreciate the moderators role is not easy but even my accommodating, forgiving, easy going nature is struggling to find the positive message in this thread!

This Forum covers a number of vehicles and a large number of members are prepared to give help and advice to new members. The Forum also has a Search Function and even Google will point to this Forum if you ask the question.
So if you ask questions I think it is common courtesy to give some information about the vehicle even if you can't or won't fill in the details on your profile.
The number of times either I or another member has to ask about the vehicle so the correct answer can be given is ridiculous.
I'll solve the problem for you both.
In future, as far as I am concerned. No Vehicle data, No Information. It's just common courtesy if asking a question.

Hi AlisonF, my comments were not made at you, apologies if it seemed that way. I just felt there were some hard responses to new members that I felt uncomfortable reading across the forum, but not yours

Well I started with the VW rack on my T5.1...reversed into a lamppost and bent it while looking for a place to sleep late one night in Dresden. Then got the Thule tow bar mounted one which while ok was a bit of a pain. That now lies in my garage and I have the battle worn original VW back on, it reminds me of where the Cali and I have been.

Original VW bike rack for me, very solid, I don't worry about the bikes falling off! Two main downsides are that it increases the height meaning you can not pass under 2m height barriers, when the bikes are on of course, and you need to be fairly tall to reach the inner bike position, I am 5'9" and just reach on tip toes. Easy to remove too as I only put it on when I need to transport the bikes, though this does mean it is easy for thieves to remove too! Oh, mine is a 2009 Cali T5, no choices back then only one to choose from.

I dont see how model , ie beach or ocean, t5 or t6 has anything to do with which kind of bike rack to chose.
I already have the Thule 929 but I will get the VW original rack as well for the boot lid. They have their own advantages. With the Thule I can open the lid with 4 bikes on which is a huge plus. With the VW I am not likely to reverse in to other cars.

Try at VW....they ask nothing ...

I just try to help with anything within my knowledge and the fact i read many posts on here , not to say all of them still i do not think i am mr. know it all....
If one comes here to use the forum i only find it a normal thing you try to follow a few simple rules in order to make things clear . There are very diffrent views on the diffrent Cali models so letting people know your verhicle details is a important key in in answering a Q .
What is the first thing they ask or look at in the garage you think....
It can be my words not always are corrcet , try to remember i am not Englisch , and to end with the words i started with,
I just try to help ....

I dont see how model , ie beach or ocean, t5 or t6 has anything to do with which kind of bike rack to chose.
Because I can only comment on the T5 rack not the T6 rack.

I just try to help with anything within my knowledge and the fact i read many posts on here , not to say all of them still i do not think i am mr. know it all....
If one comes here to use the forum i only find it a normal thing you try to follow a few simple rules in order to make things clear . There are very diffrent views on the diffrent Cali models so letting people know your verhicle details is a important key in in answering a Q .
What is the first thing they ask or look at in the garage you think....
It can be my words not always are corrcet , try to remember i am not Englisch , and to end with the words i started with,
I just try to help ....

Sorry Hotel California T5 I am probably getting overly sensitive as I get older! I do see lots of very helpful posts from you and WelshGas. The written word can often be misinterpreted and as I only respond occasionally to posts I don't have the frustration you guys have.

Because I can only comment on the T5 rack not the T6 rack.
I still don't see the problem wether the OP should get a hitch mounted rack or not is dependent on T5 or T6, ocean or beach. In all its purposes, advantages and disadvantages the same applies to all of them.

I already have the Thule 929 but I will get the VW original rack as well for the boot lid. They have their own advantages. With the Thule I can open the lid with 4 bikes on which is a huge plus. With the VW I am not likely to reverse in to other cars.
Very simple. I cannot vouch for the T6 but can for the T5 and T5.1 Tailgates as fitted to the Van, Beach and SE. The Altera Strada D3, with adult bikes in the outer 2 slots or with an adult bike in the inner slot and handle bars turned 90o allows the tailgate to open fully.:thumb
It is easy to put on/off and easy to put the bikes on with reasonable security features.
Also the vehicle alarm sound if locked and someone tries to remove the rack/disconnect the electrics.( provided you have VW electrics fitted )
However, expensive if you do not have a tow bar fitted.

Last edited:
I still don't see the problem wether the OP should get a hitch mounted rack or not is dependent on T5 or T6, ocean or beach. In all its purposes, advantages and disadvantages the same applies to all of them.

I was merely reassuring the poster that the T5 bike rack doesn't have to be a permanent addition to the rear of the van as it is very simple to put on or remove. I can't comment on towbar bike racks as i don't have one. The T6 tailgate and bike rack are different to the T5 so I can't comment on those either. Beach or SE makes no difference as you said. :talktothehand

Another vote here for the Atera Strada. A great bit of kit, fairly light to move and slots onto the towbar really easily and even with 3 bikes on it tilts/slides back far enough to open the tailgate (well it does on a 2010 T5 Cali). I moved from the VW tailgate mounted rack as even with the weight of just one bike the tailgate would fail to stay open apart from when the weather was warm which in my usual camping haunts in the Lake District is not very often. I was constantly worried that it would drop down just as my toddler daughter was wandering about at the rear of the vehicle.

Another vote here for the Atera Strada. A great bit of kit, fairly light to move and slots onto the towbar really easily and even with 3 bikes on it tilts/slides back far enough to open the tailgate (well it does on a 2010 T5 Cali). I moved from the VW tailgate mounted rack as even with the weight of just one bike the tailgate would fail to stay open apart from when the weather was warm which in my usual camping haunts in the Lake District is not very often. I was constantly worried that it would drop down just as my toddler daughter was wandering about at the rear of the vehicle.

My thanks to all respondents. I think I will go for the Atera.
It will fit on my 2014 T5 California SE 180 and my Skoda Octavia Scout as both have tow bars

Been looking at the witter zx504. Need to carry 4 bikes. Like the fact it can fold up out the way when bikes are off... Bit pricey though. Anyone heard any comments or seen these?

Last edited:
Back