Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric bike shall I buy?

I built my own bike using a Bafang BBS02b - but it's not for everyone and can only be used on private land if you ride it on the highest levels...

PXL_20230617_200334282.jpg

Great fun on the French cycle trails especially through the forests in Lacanau where we were for some time in the Summer. You have to be careful though and ride responsibly but when there's no-one about it's great fun.

I tuned it so you have to actually pedal it too, otherwise no assist is given, so its a really good workout too.

If you chipped it (illegally?) and got stopped breaking the speed limit, you're on the wrong side of the law of course. Electric bikes are not 'vehicles' subject to speed limits, but if they are unlawful (motor stops assisting at 15.5mph) you can't buzz round a 20mph zone at 29mph and expect to be immune.
Do the police care though? Almost certainly not, in my view, unless you have a collision...

You could argue that an ebike in traffic, travelling 20-25mph with pedal assist is safer as it keeps pace with surrounding traffic. No silly overtakes or close passes or irritated Karen’s…
It’s safer for all parties.

I can ride my road bike at that speed, why not my ebike…?

You could argue that an ebike in traffic, travelling 20-25mph with pedal assist is safer as it keeps pace with surrounding traffic. No silly overtakes or close passes or irritated Karen’s…

The Tour de France riders were hitting 120kmh downhill and 60 - 70kmh on flat.

I think the 15.5mph limit is based on nothing other than outdated legislation.

It doesn't make sense.

I believe it’s an EU directive…

The full fat Vado is a beast. It does nothing wrong and nothing, gravel, mud, hills, gets in it's way. I absolutely love it for big cross-country tours of 600 miles plus.

However I am away on my own a lot and the 15kg SL is a lot easier for getting on and off the bike rack than 25kg when on my own. It also has a lot more of a traditional, very nimble, feel. So far I've been on 7% gradients with it and not had to go to Turbo (max power) boost nor had it in lower gears so even though the assist is halved it's still there. The nice thing is if the trip is planned right there should also be no range anxiety as it's perfectly rideable without assist. The range extender, which pops into a water bottle carrier, gives 50% more range if needed.
More to consider, weight, range …………

I’ve taken a free loan of a Whisper e-bike for four weeks from our local council so that should help me identify what I like/need/don’t like in a bike.

It’s a fair point.
It’s just at some point you’re going to need a number plate, to pay road tax and insurance. I’d rather have a law saying 15.5mph max than needing bureaucracy and a licence for all e-bikes.
But I think it would make sense for all cycles to be subject to speed limits, and for e-bikes to be allowed to travel up to the urban 20mph limit.
If a member of my family was killed by someone on a chipped bike doing 29mph I’d hope the book was thrown at them, but I know it wouldn’t be…

I'd really like pedelec but they can't be ridden on cycle routes in Germany.

That needs a bit of clarification. Pedelec is a generic term covering all ebikes, I assume you mean ones that have an assistance level above 25kph (up to 45kph I think). Those generally cannot be legally ridden on cycle paths in Germany, but there are exceptions to that depending on what state you are in. All "normal" ebikes (i.e. assistance up to 25kph) can be ridden anywhere it is legal to ride a bike.

Does it have a Bosch motor? I'm really hoping someone comes out with a smaller framed ebike with Bosch motor and belt drive. Cherry on the cake would be a folder. The Tern S10 gets me 90% there but lacks the low maintenance/clean belt drive.
I saw this and thought of you, still not everything, but thought I'd share anyway :thumb

You can. But no e-assist above 15.5 mph.

£2k for an electric bike is not much money. For that price expect it to be very heavy >> 25 kg and low quality drive train and suspension components. For a decent e-bike <20 kg and good off road dependability expect to pay at least £5k to £6k.

Back