Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric kettle? Max power to aim for?

Mark Garrett

Mark Garrett

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Is there any consensus on a good electric kettle for when on hook-up? Size, power, etc? Does say a 1.7L fit into the cupboard ok?

From reading other threads on campsite electricity supplies, some have a lower 6Amp trip-out?

How does this relate to a kettle power circa 2000W-2400W ? Some kettles say up to 3000W

I'm reading up on Ohms Law...it has been a long time since needing that...

If The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by the voltage V in volts (V):
Then worst case : 2400 / 240 = 10 amps, so would trip out ?

Generally speaking a 2000 watt kettle at 240v will require 8-10 amps to power it so if the site provides less than 10 amps to the bollard you will trip it :D (wattage of the appliance divided by 240 gives amps required)

I can think of a lot of other electrical gadgets to carry before worrying about a kettle.

I have three gas rings as I always carry one of these in case of my main bottle running out and a collapsible gas kettle is small enough to not worry about.

I have three gas rings as I always carry one of these in case of my main bottle running out and a collapsible gas kettle is small enough to not worry about.

@GrannyJen is that the Outwell collapsible kettle for sale her on the site? I'm looking at that one mainly for the same reason, I have a lot of other electrical stuff and I don't mind offloading kettle to the gas.

I use an older style "travel kettle" .7 litre, 110 -240v, 900w. It's very compact, so easily stored and ideal for 1 or 2 cups.
At 900w there is no worry of tripping the power supply.

@GrannyJen is that the Outwell collapsible kettle for sale her on the site? I'm looking at that one mainly for the same reason, I have a lot of other electrical stuff and I don't mind offloading kettle to the gas.

It is. I have had mine for about three years. It fits neatly in the sink when travelling so no space used up. I also have an Outwell collapsible casserole pan that I use for everything and when collapsed, with it's lid on, stacks neatly into my Tefal ingenio frying pan.

Most campsite electrical supplies in the U.K. are 16A. So a standard 3kw is fine. Try not to fill it, boil the water you need.
We use a cheap kettle we bought from Tesco, cost about £8. It's been fine for the last 6 years.

However we also carry an Alpkit, for emergencies or if we do stay at a campsite with a small supply. Or when we are out and about and need a brew.

Travel kettles are pretty useless, better off with a Brewkit or Jetboil imo

Most campsite electrical supplies in the U.K. are 16A. So a standard 3kw is fine. Try not to fill it, boil the water you need.
We use a cheap kettle we bought from Tesco, cost about £8. It's been fine for the last 6 years.

However we also carry an Alpkit, for emergencies or if we do stay at a campsite with a small supply. Or when we are out and about and need a brew.

Yes but camper is only rated at 10amp, 3kw is rated at 15a. these kettle from amazon is not a travel kettle

Yes but camper is only rated at 10amp, 3kw is rated at 15a. these kettle from amazon is not a travel kettle

10A...???
Is that all Volkswagen give you...?
I didn't realise that.

Ours is 13A rated which can handle 3kw (12-13amps not 15 btw)

Ours is 13A rated which can handle 3kw (12-13amps not 15 btw)

I'm guessing John means, the California consumer unit only has a 10a rating.
Which I'm a little surprised by...?

I'm guessing John means, the California consumer unit only has a 10a rating.
Which I'm a little surprised by...?
That is what I was referring to, ours is 13A not 10A. Maybe it was increased with later models??
Easy to get confused as it is a 10Ma trip for earth leakage protection but 13A for overload protection.

Last edited:
That is what I was referring to, ours is 13A not 10A. Maybe it was increased with later models??

Again unusual
Breaker ratings go from 10a to 16a in the U.K.
???

img_5202-jpg.17542

I have the Severin 1.5kw one and it is good size and importantly free from the plastic taste that afflicts the plastic ones.

they don't work like that. 10ma is the trip current on an rcd which stands for residual current device.current flows equally in the 2 wires under normal circumstances. the rcd trips when it detects a small imbalance due to a fault or a live wire touched. it's not like a 10 amp fuse that blows or melts at 10a.it is far more sensitive to faults and so safer. big rcd s run at about 30ma

a camp site circuit breaker is a different device.here endeth the lesson. I have a 1000w kettle by the way and it's fine

they don't work like that. 10ma is the trip current on an rcd which stands for residual current device.current flows equally in the 2 wires under normal circumstances. the rcd trips when it detects a small imbalance due to a fault or a live wire touched. it's not like a 10 amp fuse that blows or melts at 10a.it is far more sensitive to faults and so safer. big rcd s run at about 30ma

I think @soulstyledevon was referring to the fact a 10ma RCBO (not RCD) is very sensitive and therefore more susceptible to nuisance tripping than a 30ma.

a camp site circuit breaker is a different device.here endeth the lesson. I have a 1000w kettle by the way and it's fine

A campsite breaker is not a different device, they are both RCBO's.

Last edited:
I think @soulstyledevon was referring to the fact 10ma is very sensitive and therefore more susceptible to nuisance tripping than a 30ma.

Exactly
I have a small understanding of electric supplies, since having worked in the electrical industry from 18 years old ;)

Is there any consensus on a good electric kettle for when on hook-up? Size, power, etc? Does say a 1.7L fit into the cupboard ok?

From reading other threads on campsite electricity supplies, some have a lower 6Amp trip-out?

How does this relate to a kettle power circa 2000W-2400W ? Some kettles say up to 3000W

I'm reading up on Ohms Law...it has been a long time since needing that...

If The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by the voltage V in volts (V):
Then worst case : 2400 / 240 = 10 amps, so would trip out ?
We bought from Aldi this year Ambiano kettle,on lable say's Sabichi Homewares Limited. 240V-50/60Hz 1000W (made in China like almost all things except at mo a Cali) only used at campsites in UK so far,with no probs,should use approx. 4.17amps so hope on campsites in France should just about be OK with some at 6amp!

We use the ASDA kettle (£10) a Which best buy and amazingly quieter than lots of expensive brands. Never had problem with tripping out.

Back