Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which make of Gas Bottles should one fit for the Grand California 680.

D

Demelza & Ross

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi, We are getting confused with the make or type of Gas Bottles for the Grand California 680. Chris on YouTube has GasFlo 11 kg but nobody seems to sell these. Is it ok to have different ones as in a Red 6kg and Blue 15kg which we have already ? Many thanks.

Hi, We are getting confused with the make or type of Gas Bottles for the Grand California 680. Chris on YouTube has GasFlo 11 kg but nobody seems to sell these. Is it ok to have different ones as in a Red 6kg and Blue 15kg which we have already ? Many thanks.

Someone with a GC will come by to give you more information, but remember, the red and blue are different types of gas, and not using what your system has been plumbed for may have not so good consequences.

Red is propane and Blue is Butane.

If you are looking at this video -
- it is a red one ... which is propane. Any propane gas bottle that fits in those cupboards will work.

Thanks very much. So just keep to the Red propane. Thanks again

Thanks Kerienp

Hi Demelza,

Well congratulations on your choice of GC two tone white and blue if I remember.

The GC is specked to have x2 11kg propane bottles, I have x2 Gaslow bottles installed and able to refill at a garage that offers propane at about £0.64 a litre. It saves all the lugging around of changing bottles

Also great for if your turning Europe as very easy to fill up.

Check out the link. https://www.gaslowdirect.com/

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Will

Last edited:
That’s fantastic. We will go along to our local dealer and find out about that. Thanks very much.

The bp gas light 10kg propane cylinders also fit the cupboard and are much lighter (15kg full) they are sold from Homebase but you need a 27mm clip on adaptor to connect to the Truma pig tails that come with the GC. photo of my cylinders in place below
65bc2ea3c17fb235276bf96b96bb901d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bp gas light 10kg propane cylinders also fit the cupboard and are much lighter (15kg full) they are sold from Homebase but you need a 27mm clip on adaptor to connect to the Truma pig tails that come with the GC. photo of my cylinders in place below
65bc2ea3c17fb235276bf96b96bb901d.jpg

Are you planning to use it abroad.

Not for the forceable future, just tired the boys cylinder as much lighter

Hi. We picked up our new Grand California 680 on 30th December! Spent the next morning trying to find an 11kg gas bottle and eventually found a Flogas one at a Texaco Garage near Reading. Bought one but got ripped off - £104. So later went on to Flogas website and

Hi. We picked up our new Grand California 680 on 30th December! Spent the next morning trying to find an 11kg gas bottle and eventually found one at a Texaco Garage near Reading. Bought one but got ripped off - £104. So later went on to Flogas website and ordered another one to be delivered to our house for £65! Still trying to figure out how everything works but very happy with it so far!

Thanks for your reply. I think we will go down the gasflo path too. We are also very pleased with ours and yes we are still working things out too.

If you are going to be using your van abroad for any serious length of time, i.e. 90-180 days/year x 10-15 years, you should definitely consider refillable bottles as @Breeze1 suggests.
@LindaRothwell has already been ripped off, some of that cost could have gone towards installing refillable.
I had a Gaslow installation, two cylinders with an automatic changeover regulator. It really was fit and forget, all you have to do is fill with lpg wherever you find it (which is quite common in Europe) and you don't have to worry about incompatible cylinders etc.
As you have already found, there are lots of variants in the U.K. then add in France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Greece, Poland, etc., etc.
I have no connection with Gaslow and there are other refillable suppliers, including lightweight bottles.

If you are going to be using your van abroad for any serious length of time, i.e. 90-180 days/year x 10-15 years, you should definitely consider refillable bottles as @Breeze1 suggests.
@LindaRothwell has already been ripped off, some of that cost could have gone towards installing refillable.
I had a Gaslow installation, two cylinders with an automatic changeover regulator. It really was fit and forget, all you have to do is fill with lpg wherever you find it (which is quite common in Europe) and you don't have to worry about incompatible cylinders etc.
As you have already found, there are lots of variants in the U.K. then add in France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Greece, Poland, etc., etc.
I have no connection with Gaslow and there are other refillable suppliers, including lightweight bottles.
Thanks for that. We have now contacted Gaslow and we are going to get the full system fitted with the auto regulator. It makes sense. No fuss trying to find the correct bottles. Also will pay for itself in time. Thanks for your help.

Pleased to be of help. Plus, you don't have to lift heavy cylinders around.

Thanks for that. We have now contacted Gaslow and we are going to get the full system fitted with the auto regulator. It makes sense. No fuss trying to find the correct bottles. Also will pay for itself in time. Thanks for your help.
If you mean the auto switchover regulator you already have one, sorry if i have miss read. Where are you having it fitted.

If you mean the auto switchover regulator you already have one, sorry if i have miss read. Where are you having it fitted.
Ah we apparently have to manually change over so Gaslow said to get a automatic regulator!? We are hoping to get Marquise in Poole to fit it.

Ah we apparently have to manually change over so Gaslow said to get a automatic regulator!? We are hoping to get Marquise in Poole to fit it.
Hi sure there is one fitted as standard automatically switchs over when one cylinder is empty, its the one above the crash sensor, you can also operate it manually

Well husband says everything he has read and seen on you tube is manual change over ! We will look again.

Hi should look like this.
this is the company that fitted mine and also my BBQ outlet.

Last edited:
Hi should look like this.
We will have a look. Maybe it does it only when cylinder is empty. We have two different types of gas bottles at the mo so husband has manually changed it over. Thanks for info.

Thanks Kerienp

Hi Demelza,

Well congratulations on your choice of GC two tone white and blue if I remember.

The GC is specked to have x2 11kg propane bottles, I have x2 Gaslow bottles installed and able to refill at a garage that offers propane at about £0.64 a litre. It saves all the lugging around of changing bottles

Also great for if your turning Europe as very easy to fill up.

Check out the link. https://www.gaslowdirect.com/

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Will
Hi Will...exploring this for my GC 680. Had it installed on a previously owned california, its ideal when abroad.
Do you have any photos of where you have positioned the filler and (if you have one) the bbq outlet?
regards
Lee

Hi Will...exploring this for my GC 680. Had it installed on a previously owned california, its ideal when abroad.
Do you have any photos of where you have positioned the filler and (if you have one) the bbq outlet?
regards
Lee
Hi Lee, hope all good with you. Yes will take some in the morning and forward along with explanation to position and a better option as just discovered.

Will

Hi Lee, hope all good with you. Yes will take some in the morning and forward along with explanation to position and a better option as just discovered.

Will
Yes would be interested in this too as we are hoping to have it fitted once our local agent opens up again.

Hi Will
Just following up on your offer of photos for a gaslow installation on the GC 680..
Regards

Lee

Back