Which New Tyres? - Simple question?

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi, I am coming to the point where I will need new tyres on my Ocean 150DSG soon but I am just a little confused. The std fitment is 215/60 R17 C 109/107T 104H - see attached photo.
I am OK with the 215/60 R17 but then....it all goes wrong for me. C ? What is this? Surely not the speed rating at 37 mph (according to my research). Then looking at 109/107T and then 104H are these multiple load and speed ratings? I have looked all over and can find no clear explanation. Can anyone help me understand?

Oh, and then lastly is there any advantage of moving from 215's to 235's? Clearly there is a disadvantage in so much 235's cost more and I would need to replace the spare, which is unused, but I had in my mind that wider tyres are better in respect of road grip/braking/ride comfort/stability etc.
EDIT: I think the "C" is for "commercial vehicles, light trucks" according to Continental.

Cheers

Tyre-Size.JPG

Last edited:
Go for 235/55 and no need to change your spare. After all, many modern cars that provide a spare are the ultra skinny variety.

Tyre choice is dependant on what you intend to use the Cali for.....Summer, Winter, Combined.

Personally I use 2 sets of wheels. The original 17" Davonports with Conti summer tyres plus VW 17" steel wheels with Goodyear UltraGrip winter tyres. The winter wheels go on beginning Dec and come off beginning April.

If you've driven down a steep twisting mountain pass with Summer tyres during winter conditions you'll appreciate that it can get a bit hairy in the 3 tonne Cali. The Goodyear tyres make this type of driving ultra comfortable and safe.

Last edited:
It's generally thought you'll get more mpg by keeping the narrower size. Unless you've experienced a lack of grip, not sure why you'd go up to the 235s. I don't know exactly why some Cali's come with 215s and some with 235s. It seems a bit the 204hp more often has the 235s, the 150hp with the 215s, but I don't think that's an 'absolute rule'

Out of interest how many miles do you think you'll get out of your first set. I have the same Conti's.

Your other decision is whether all season tyres will be of value to your circumstances? Plenty of good reports on the Michelin Cross Climates. I spend my life driving over the pennines so have a summer set on my Cascavels and a full winter set on steels.

^edit - you do know your request for a 'simple question' is never going to happen here with so many users each confident in their opinions!

^edit - you do know your request for a 'simple question' is never going to happen here with so many users each confident in their opinions!
Ha! Yes I realise that hence my "?" in the title! As far as any answers to my question are concerned I am certain they will add to my limited information which will be good. I am very happy to make a better informed choice as a result. :)

Out of interest how many miles do you think you'll get out of your first set. I have the same Conti's.

I have just changed tyres front to back to extend useage of this set. The front's (now the back's) have about 3mm left and the back (now the front's) have about 5mm on them. I expect to change them all in about 5k miles time which will be at about 26k. If it were just me driving I would get another 10k from the tyres but not everyone has the light touch I have ;). (Also a have a couple of side wall cuts that were an advisory when the tyres were swapped round so could be less........)

Hi Rik

Our original 17 tyres from new were 235/55 r17, which as you’ll see from the link below are the substantially the same diameter as your 215/60 r17

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/advice-and-tips/tyre-size-calculator

The 215s may be cheaper and will give better traction in the snow as they are skinnier. The 215 will be fine as a spare even if you go for 235 replacements.

All Calis are based on the T30 and have a MGVW of 3,080 kg. The front and rear axles are rated to 1,620 & 1,575 kg respectively. 101 load index tyres are 825 kg (1650 kg per axle) so any tyre with an index of 101 will exceed the requirements.

I got a cheap set of 18" alloys and stuck some Michelin CrossClimate SUV 235/50 R18 V (101) on them but will go back to the 17" in the spring.

Cheers.

Hi Rik

Our original 17 tyres from new were 235/55 r17, which as you’ll see from the link below are the substantially the same diameter as your 215/60 r17

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/advice-and-tips/tyre-size-calculator

The 215s may be cheaper and will give better traction in the snow as they are skinnier. The 215 will be fine as a spare even if you go for 235 replacements.

All Calis are based on the T30 and have a MGVW of 3,080 kg. The front and rear axles are rated to 1,620 & 1,575 kg respectively. 101 load index tyres are 825 kg (1650 kg per axle) so any tyre with an index of 101 will exceed the requirements.

I got a cheap set of 18" alloys and stuck some Michelin CrossClimate SUV 235/50 R18 V (101) on them but will go back to the 17" in the spring.

Cheers.
Thanks Huw.

@WelshGas has moved on to Cross Climates if I remember well. I'll sure he'll confirm the exact spec (load and speed rating) he bought.

@WelshGas has moved on to Cross Climates if I remember well. I'll sure he'll confirm the exact spec (load and speed rating) he bought.

Michelin CrossClimate SUV 235x55xR17 103Y

Tread Depth between 5.6 and 5.8 after 19,500 miles.

Seem to be wearing a little less than the Goodyear’s did over similar milage. Mpg a little better about 1-2 mpg as measured on the MFD, and a little quieter.

Michelin CrossClimate SUV 235x55xR17 103Y

Tread Depth between 5.6 and 5.8 after 19,500 miles.

Seem to be wearing a little less than the Goodyear’s did over similar milage. Mpg a little better about 1-2 mpg as measured on the MFD, and a little quieter.
Yes the Goodyear rubber is soft and wears quicker than many other tyres, but it is sticky rubber and provides good traction.

Yes the Goodyear rubber is soft and wears quicker than many other tyres, but it is sticky rubber and provides good traction.
Haven’t, myself, noticed any difference in the traction properties. Still as sure footed but that is on a 4 Motion.

I am interested to hear more on your comment "Goodyear rubber is soft and wears quicker than many other tyres". Can you name names and qualify with factual data? Thanks.
Also I find the description of rubber as being "Sticky" in the context of a Cali as slightly odd. Surely "sticky" means something you might expect to experience on a racing car with hot sticky tyres not a Cali irrespective of make of tyre. Are you saying the tyres get hot during normal use? I know the tyres can get warm during extended motorway speeds but sticky? Really??

When I ordered my Beach, there was an option to specify an increased GVW with the 17" chassis & brakes from the Ocean. This necessitated choosing a 17" Alloy (Cascavel's, no Devonports available as an option) which then gave me the option of 215/60 or 235/55 tyres.

I chose the 235's purely from an aesthetic perspective as I'm having the 30mm lower springs & wanted an ever so slightly 'fuller wheel arch' if that makes any sense. We'll see if it makes any difference at all! ;)

As Alan has done, I fully intend to get a set of 17" steels later in the year, and get them shod with a full winter tyre, changing onto those in Nov / Dec each year. That way it keeps the 'pretty' alloys out of the worst of the salt & winter grime.....

Not sure what Brand tyres it will arrive with, but I've always had a preference for Michelin when I've had a choice or come to change on previous vehicles, and sounds like that will continue to be a wise choice on the Cali.

Thats the theory anyway, what actually happens is anyone's guess!

I am interested to hear more on your comment "Goodyear rubber is soft and wears quicker than many other tyres". Can you name names and qualify with factual data? Thanks.
Also I find the description of rubber as being "Sticky" in the context of a Cali as slightly odd. Surely "sticky" means something you might expect to experience on a racing car with hot sticky tyres not a Cali irrespective of make of tyre. Are you saying the tyres get hot during normal use? I know the tyres can get warm during extended motorway speeds but sticky? Really??
Yes I was probably wrong to say sticky. I'm a huge motorsport fan and understand that some rubber is designed to be sticky.

What I meant is that I've never had occurrences where the traction seems to let go.

Whereas the summer Conti tyres have felt that they have just lost traction in heavy rain or on mud a few times.

Good afternoon,

In a few weeks I will change my tyres from the standard Bridgestone Turanza ER300 to Michelin CrossClimate+.

Looking at the Michelin web page I am not sure what the difference is between:

Michelin CrossClimate+ 235/55 R17 103 Y XL
and
Michelin CrossClimateSUV 235/55 R17 103 V XL

Is the only difference the speed rating?

Y = 300 km/h
V = 240 km/h

Beside that the tyres look the same. I expect that the Michelin CrossClimateSUV version is more expensive because of the higher speed rate.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

In a few weeks I will change my tyres from the standard Bridgestone Turanza ER300 to Michelin CrossClimate+.

and

Y = 300 km/h
V = 240 km/h

Beside that the tyres look the same. I expect that the Michelin CrossClimateSUV version is more expensive because of the higher speed rate.

Regards,
Eberhard

From what i recall, the CrossClimate+ is the latest model and replaced all but the CrossClimate SUV version as that covered the bigger sizes.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/What-changed-with-the-new-Michelin-CrossClimate-Plus.htm

Last edited:
Yes I was probably wrong to say sticky. I'm a huge motorsport fan and understand that some rubber is designed to be sticky.

What I meant is that I've never had occurrences where the traction seems to let go.

Whereas the summer Conti tyres have felt that they have just lost traction in heavy rain or on mud a few times.
Ah, OK. Thanks for clarification.

Hi, I am coming to the point where I will need new tyres on my Ocean 150DSG soon but I am just a little confused. The std fitment is 215/60 R17 C 109/107T 104H - see attached photo.
I am OK with the 215/60 R17 but then....it all goes wrong for me. C ? What is this? Surely not the speed rating at 37 mph (according to my research). Then looking at 109/107T and then 104H are these multiple load and speed ratings? I have looked all over and can find no clear explanation. Can anyone help me understand?

Oh, and then lastly is there any advantage of moving from 215's to 235's? Clearly there is a disadvantage in so much 235's cost more and I would need to replace the spare, which is unused, but I had in my mind that wider tyres are better in respect of road grip/braking/ride comfort/stability etc.
EDIT: I think the "C" is for "commercial vehicles, light trucks" according to Continental.

Cheers

View attachment 40711
I’ve opted for all weather tyres plus a set of chains.

Good afternoon,

and

Y = 300 km/h
V = 240 km/h

Regards,
Eberhard
Changes in the speed rating, such as V to Y have tyre carcase changes in design to tolerate the higher speed and heat generated. You may not notice the difference if you were to test the two but the Y would be a stiffer sidewall than a V probably slightly different tread compound as well.