Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which option would you add to a T6.1 Coast?

P

phil keegan

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
A few weeks ago I joined the queue for a new Coast. I went for the following ‘options’: white paint, heated seats, heated screen, rear privacy glass, additional air conditioning, canvas sides with a panoramic window, mud flaps and an 80L tank.

I’ll be adding a bike rack and roof bars (potentially for a surf board). Our van will be a base for sea swimming and cycling in the UK + we imagine touring some French and Italian vineyards in due course.

It sounds from this forum that it’s possible before the van goes into production to change the choice of options via the dealer.

My question to any T6.1 Coast owners out there would be which one additional option would you recommend or wish you had ordered on your van?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is most important option more than is what you take now.

5 years warranty plan. is make you machine more easy sell when is change and when is with you and breaking things, is Vw will fixing for you not extra cost for you.
Is best extra you can buying in Volkswagen automobile.

We ordered our coast in August and chose the following options

Lighting concept
Tow bar prep
4 Keys
80L tank
Privacy glass
Panoramic bellows
Auto dip lights ( can't remember proper name)
Extra storage and net.

We initially went to order an Ocean, but decided to keep the cost down, so stayed away from the pricier options like LEDs and Nav.

But as previously said ..... its a very personal thing and you are crafting a camper for your needs.

Gary

A few weeks ago I joined the queue for a new Coast. I went for the following ‘options’: white paint, heated seats, heated screen, rear privacy glass, additional air conditioning, canvas sides with a panoramic window, mud flaps and an 80L tank.

I’ll be adding a bike rack and roof bars (potentially for a surf board). Our van will be a base for sea swimming and cycling in the UK + we imagine touring some French and Italian vineyards in due course.

It sounds from this forum that it’s possible before the van goes into production to change the choice of options via the dealer.

My question to any T6.1 Coast owners out there would be which one additional option would you recommend or wish you had ordered on your van?

Thanks

I ordered my coast in August. Same spec but added the front fogs, the extra drawer in the rear bench and the passenger side window. Again, didn't bother with the pricier items like sat Nav (Android auto will be better) and LEDs (which I'd like but I'll spend the difference on lots of diesel!).

Still unconfirmed build date of April/may but dealer appeared hopefully this might be brought forward. Although that way probably just to get me to stop pestering him.

Thanks

I find the rear parking camera very useful.

I ordered my coast in August. Same spec but added the front fogs, the extra drawer in the rear bench and the passenger side window. Again, didn't bother with the pricier items like sat Nav (Android auto will be better) and LEDs (which I'd like but I'll spend the difference on lots of diesel!).

Still unconfirmed build date of April/may but dealer appeared hopefully this might be brought forward. Although that way probably just to get me to stop pestering him.

Thanks. I didn’t realise the Coast spec wouldn’t have front fogs without adding these as an option. Will definitely consider this.

Thanks. Yes did use this but I had assumed (wrongly) the option was for ‘cornering’ front fogs instead of basic front fogs rather than no fogs!

Thanks. Yes did use this but I had assumed (wrongly) the option was for ‘cornering’ front fogs instead of basic front fogs rather than no fogs!

I added the fogs for ours. They are a great addition in my opinion. Initially I added them purely for aesthetic reasons (I didn't like the look of the blanking plates). But I have to say, they are superb for throwing light into the corners when maneuvering on dark driveways, or tight spaces. I wouldn't be without them.

Thanks

We went with.........
80L tank - Thought it might be useful as the heater won't run if there is less than 1/4 tank
Front fogs - As above. Initially just for looks, but have now realised just how good they are.
Privacy Glass - Only realised how much it altered the look after finding a demo without it.
Pano Canvas - How else do folk let wasps/bugs etc out from up there :)
4 Keys - Because I got caught up in the whole "getting locked out" / "Surf key" paranoia
Wooden Floor upgrade - Again, just aesthetics, but it we love it. Nice wow factor.
Rear camera - In my opinion its a must, especially as I am not used to a van sized vehicle.

Ours came with the extra opening window in the sliding door, despite not ordering it.

Its all subjective and very much a personal decision - just added my reasoning in case it helped any.

Thanks

Had my Coast since January. Ascot Grey, nice colour, no extra charge. 14k miles so far, as it is my car too. 80l tank, rev camera (essential), full front opening to pop up, 4 keys. Sat nav - for a fraction of the option cost, you can buy a cheap smartphone on unlimited data package , and leave permanently plugged in with the VW cable for instant maps and everything else. I think I might have gone for tinted glass with hindsight as one additional option, for a bit more privacy. However, 3 months from order to collection, so no complaints. Hope this helps. Oh, BTW, the seating upholstery was specified by somebody with no dogs or kids - Prokleen valet upholstery cleaner removes the lot.

Thanks. I had planned not to order privacy glass and then have ‘limousine’ glass fitted. This potentially could be cheaper and provide even more privacy. In the end I went for the VW option as I thought it might be neater and more durable.

The option I would have liked is, unfortunately, unavailable. Long wheel base!

As a base for sea swimming, why not go for the shower - great for rinsing off your gear, and yourselves?
I’d also consider a factory towbar for your bikes. More expensive than a tailgate-mounted rack, but a better view out, and enables you to get in the tailgate easily with bikes attached.

As a base for sea swimming, why not go for the shower - great for rinsing off your gear, and yourselves?
I’d also consider a factory towbar for your bikes. More expensive than a tailgate-mounted rack, but a better view out, and enables you to get in the tailgate easily with bikes attached.

Thanks I wasn’t sure if the shower kit for the coast model was properly plumbed to the water tank or is just an expensive portable camping shower available as an accessory rather than an option. I’ll take another look as would like a shower for rinsing wet suits and the dog. Separately I already have a bike rack that fits on a tow bar so I guess I should look at buying a tow bar rather than tailgate mounted rack bike rack. I guess the disadvantage however will be obstruction of the rear parking sensors.

Thanks I wasn’t sure if the shower kit for the coast model was properly plumbed to the water tank or is just an expensive portable camping shower available as an accessory rather than an option. I’ll take another look as would like a shower for rinsing wet suits and the dog. Separately I already have a bike rack that fits on a tow bar so I guess I should look at buying a tow bar rather than tailgate mounted rack bike rack. I guess the disadvantage however will be obstruction of the rear parking sensors.

The shower connection is the same price as the Ocean - £354, so is the real deal. Just checked the configurator though and stupidly you also need to spec the interior lights for £738!
I find this sort of thing maddening. The two options have nothing to do with each other! It must put as many people off buying a shower as VW convince to buy the two, and annoy them all at the same time!
(I had to buy the driver assistance pack in order to get the sports pack too!).
I hadn’t thought about the parking sensor issue with the towbar cycle rack. I wonder if @GrumpyGranddad can confirm they are redundant with rack fitted? I suppose the sensors aren’t much use with a tailgate mounted rack protruding over them either?

23B6816A-E431-45ED-BA6D-A9DC94493CFF.png

Ordered oursclast December picked him up in July.
Originally ordered
Heated seats
Heated windscreen
Extra draw storage
Rear camera
Panoramic pop top
Limo tint

Dropped the Heated windscreen and added sat nav and larger screen.

Hated the vw tint and Liverpool offered a limo tint service which I much prefer. The vw tint is extremely see through as you can see from the 1st photo.

We ended up with an extra opening window in the sliding door even though it wasn't ordered.

We added marvel mats ontop of the standard floor as I prefer a removable rug to hard flooring. So would have been a waste of money for us to have wooden flooring.

Can honestly say I am so pleased with all our extras and don't miss anything else.

20210726_113521.jpg

20210807_100907.jpg

20210819_180405.jpg

The shower connection is the same price as the Ocean - £354, so is the real deal. Just checked the configurator though and stupidly you also need to spec the interior lights for £738!
I find this sort of thing maddening. The two options have nothing to do with each other! It must put as many people off buying a shower as VW convince to buy the two, and annoy them all at the same time!
I hadn’t thought about the parking sensor issue with the towbar cycle rack. I wonder if @GrumpyGranddad can confirm they are redundant with rack fitted? I suppose the sensors aren’t much use with a tailgate mounted rack protruding over them either?

View attachment 85721

Thanks Tim that’s really helpful.

Ordered oursclast December picked him up in July.
Originally ordered
Heated seats
Heated windscreen
Extra draw storage
Rear camera
Panoramic pop top
Limo tint

Dropped the Heated windscreen and added sat nav and larger screen.

Hated the vw tint and Liverpool offered a limo tint service which I much prefer. The vw tint is extremely see through as you can see from the 1st photo.

We ended up with an extra opening window in the sliding door even though it wasn't ordered.

We added marvel mats ontop of the standard floor as I prefer a removable rug to hard flooring. So would have been a waste of money for us to have wooden flooring.

Can honestly say I am so pleased with all our extras and don't miss anything else.

View attachment 85722

View attachment 85723

View attachment 85724

Thanks - I had originally thought about getting a Limo tint applied to the standard windows as this was both darker and cheaper than the VW privacy option. I did wonder though about about the plastic film getting damaged/scratched over time + how neat it would look. Yours looks great. Presumably the limo tint was applied over the ‘VW privacy glass’ which looks like it’s missing in the above photo (from a different angle was there any evidence it had been fitted?). Thanks for posting this.

Thanks - I had originally thought about getting a Limo tint applied to the standard windows as this was both darker and cheaper than the VW privacy option. I did wonder though about about the plastic film getting damaged/scratched over time + how neat it would look. Yours looks great. Presumably the limo tint was applied over the ‘VW privacy glass’ which looks like it’s missing in the above photo (from a different angle was there any evidence it had been fitted?). Thanks for posting this.

No I didn't go for the privacy glass. The limo tint offered by vw Liverpool was just slightly cheaper so didn't bother paying for something that I was going to cover up. However it came with it . Thing during the summer they were just fitting what things they'd got to get the vans out so quite a few extras were added.

Rear parking sensors are disabled if towbar used, but rear camera, if fitted, still works.

The heated screen is rubbish imo especially for £500. It is useless at clearing any condensation from camping and it’s hardly ever that icy that you need it.

Thanks. I live in Newcastle + it’s certainly icy enough to use my current heated screen on my Volvo V60 quite a bit. We also haven’t excluded the idea of heading to the Alps in the winter. I guess a lot of the options aren’t essential but I do really like my current heated screen. I’ll take your feedback on board though as perhaps the VW Cali heated screen isn’t as good as the one on my car.

View attachment 85721
I leave my removable towball in place most of the time and the parking sensors are unaffected. When my towbar mounted bike rack is fitted and connected the parking sensors are disabled as is Side Assist. Reversing camera still functions.

Well you asked "which options", for me the led headlights. Just amazing on our 6.1 Ocean. As always depends what you consider important, but I wouldn't be without them.

Not sure whether it is standard on the Coast but the adaptive cruise control is a game changer. Never had it before and just love it now.

Back