Which radio should I buy?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
I don't know what radio to install in our 2007 California. What I want:
- Good sound quality
- Being able to play mp3
- USB-input - SD card if possible - from Android device?
- With remote control for camping?

What I don't need:
- Navigation system (I am using a seperate GPS)

I checked the RCD 310/510. Are there any good aftermarket alternatives?

Your ONLY option is the Kenwood DNX525DAB. This stereo is out of this world. Overjill if you don't want Nav though. The music, phone capabilities are brilliant. SD slot, USB port, bluetooth. It sells itself.

Sorry, but indeed that's overkill.. And too expensive for my budget...
Any other options?

I think the RCD510 will do most of what you want. They were never an option on Cali's, but were on most other VWs of that era, so you can get them quite cheaply on ebay. Probably about £200 for one without DAB, and £300 for one with DAB.

Not to be confused with the RNS510. The RCD 510 is a 6 CD head unit that can play MP3s from the CDs or from the SD card.

However as you are pre-facelift I think you will need some dashboard modifications to fit any of the newer style RCD/RNS style radios, you will also need a CANBUS adapter as the old stereos run Can 1.6 and the newer radios need 2.0 - again you can get an adapter.

If all that sounds a bit of a faff then a non-VW unit may be your best bet.

T

I see I now that can install just any radio, by using a coverage (because this other radio would be smaller)? What would be the advantage of buying a VW-radio?

After market double din stereos will fit with an adaptor, however in my opinion they never look quite right. Also they don't integrate with the Multi Functional display.

My preference is an after market one that's 'made for VW' though this are rarer, or a genuine VW one.

I'm not sure what's available as you have a pre facelift dash and earlier CAN system, more details here http://hazzydayz.com/genuine-vw-rns-510 ... 1408-p.asp

I don't think the Kenwood one mentioned earlier would even fit, you would need something designed for Transporter T5, not T5.1.

What is fitted at the moment?

Hi there all. I've looked but I wasn't 100% sure. Can i do a straight replacement of an rcd 200 stereo with a Kenwood DNX 525DAB without needing to change facia or anything? Pretty much a plug and play system?

I bought an RNS315 from ebay and it slotted straight into my 2015SE. Nav, SD card and Bluetooth give me all I need and most of what you want.

You can get a android based stereo for a few hundred pounds and they will often support all sorts of apps including Waze, streaming etc.

Thanks for the replies.
Haven't I read that the post facelift vans have a different facia which is why I'm concerned that the Kenwood won't simply slot straight in?
I've looked at the android based stereos, maybe I'll look again but I quite fancy the "10 minute" installation that I've read about even if it means it costs a bit more.

How about one of these? I've been meaning to replace our 2004 Touareg's ageing stereo system and at this price, its a bargain for nav/sd, etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RNS510-STYLE-HD-DVD-SD-GPS-SAT-NAV-7-VW-PASSAT-TOURAN-GOLF-MK5-6-T5-POLO-510/112288507208?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I also saw the RCD 510 with CarPlay on eBay ~£200, im not very stereo savvy so not sure of any pitfalls on fitment. Seems a bit too good to be true.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-5-Car-Ste...-GTI-TOURAN-/391759362953?hash=item5b36ad7b89

The trouble with the RCD 510 and the other 510 is that they are different shapes to the original RCD200, and I've not seen a facia adaptor yet? In fact I'm not sure that they're plug and play like they would be on a T5.1?
The link above from the vwtmag is pretty good, but again no finished photo.
Overall, I'm a bit confused as usual:confused:

I'm puzzled why none of these 'copy' head units have dab.

or this even, for £213 (minus a VIP club discount) from our new partner Vagtec

http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/vw-commer...ver-media-navigation-with-dab-radio-2038.html

This head unit looks very tempting for the price, it features carplay, all phone features are built in and require no extra modules and the screen size is great. I think we can easily sacrifice the CD drive as any music we do have can be put onto an SD card or accessed via our phone.

Should also be great for the kids as it plays MP4 files, I foresee the SD card being full of Peppa Pig Episodes!

I have placed an order so will feedback when I have received / installed it.

Andrew.

This head unit looks very tempting for the price, it features carplay, all phone features are built in and require no extra modules and the screen size is great. I think we can easily sacrifice the CD drive as any music we do have can be put onto an SD card or accessed via our phone.

Should also be great for the kids as it plays MP4 files, I foresee the SD card being full of Peppa Pig Episodes!

I have placed an order so will feedback when I have received / installed it.

Andrew.
I would be interested in your feedback as it looks like a nice unit.

It looks too good to be true based on the price I paid, we will see.

It looks too good to be true based on the price I paid, we will see.

Probably worth a punt. You'd probably recoup some of the value if you sold it on. I'll be keeping an eye on your feedback.

Bored of our DAB 310, fancied a change.

It's arrived, brand new with no marks or scratches. I will be fitting it this evening and will update the forum with info later.

Last edited:
Back