Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which roof bars?

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Looking for a set of simple roof bars for a once off function, which will fit my 2009 California, it has rails inset into the pop top, I would prefer not to have the side rails if possible. Any help appreciated.

Tom

I need a pair of roof bars to transport a tandem bicycle. (I already have a Pendle tandem carrier).

Today I popped into SMG Tonbridge to collect a warranty replacement picnic chair. They have roof bars for £287 a pair, and with slightly longer bolts my tandem carrier would fit.

Roofbox.co.uk have a range which may be suitable priced between £155 and £331. The most expensive, The Slide Bar, while initially looking attractive due to the bars sliding out up to 2 feet sideways, won't be much of a benefit for the tandem carrier we have as the carrier would not slide beyond the feet. I'm tempted to go for the cheapest ones, the package includes feet, bars and adaptor kit.

Any reason to spend more?

I need a pair of roof bars to transport a tandem bicycle. (I already have a Pendle tandem carrier).

Today I popped into SMG Tonbridge to collect a warranty replacement picnic chair. They have roof bars for £287 a pair, and with slightly longer bolts my tandem carrier would fit.

Roofbox.co.uk have a range which may be suitable priced between £155 and £331. The most expensive, The Slide Bar, while initially looking attractive due to the bars sliding out up to 2 feet sideways, won't be much of a benefit for the tandem carrier we have as the carrier would not slide beyond the feet. I'm tempted to go for the cheapest ones, the package includes feet, bars and adaptor kit.

Any reason to spend more?

Can recommend the below. Had ours for years and no wind noise whatsoever with an empty rack. They also have a wider slot (when compared to Thule) on the underside which sometimes makes it easier to fit to a 2nd vehicle with a narrower roof, you just buy a foot pack adaptor:

F83D0DE9-FFCE-495E-B3FF-F725ACEF672D.jpeg

Can recommend the below.
Really useful information - thanks. And they have a returned one available at a £36 discount.

Unfortunately my tandem carrier has brackets for rectangular bars, and while I could buy an adaptor for 80mm aero bars, I'm not convinced it would be worth it.

I forgot to update this with my purchase! My need was very occasional load carrying and I simply bought some cheap ones from Ebay, I am afraid I cannot find the specific item as it was too long ago but they are square in section, same as these though https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/To-Fit-0...003977&hash=item212c5d01e4:g:tCUAAOSw90lZlLcD They have been fine in service and easy to fit and remove, they have carried a variety of item and though there is a little wind noise, it is certainly not loud.

Thanks Tom. I've ordered the £155 Thule box section ones, my decision was made easier once I discovered that the tandem carrier fittings were for box section bars.

I have now discovered that our tandem carrier is 10cm too short (208cm long) for our new tandem triplet (wheelbase 218cm), but thankfully as it is a simple modular design I have been able to order a 1800mm long steel bar (extending the carrier to 238cm) for a very reasonable £6.55 plus a less reasonable £9.95 shipping.

Last edited: