Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which screen?

Tompoole

Tompoole

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
ok
Just like to thank everyone for advice on various subjects, just one more I promise.....

Just need to know what screen to use to reduce condensation and black out light from windscreen and side windows. There seems to be a few on club shop but which do people recommend.

Last question I promise lol

This time of year I use an external screen, for the last 4 years it has been the one provided by comfortz. Never had condensation, have had it flapping around in the 60mph wind, almost indestructible but only almost. It is showing wear now.

ok
Just like to thank everyone for advice on various subjects, just one more I promise.....

Just need to know what screen to use to reduce condensation and black out light from windscreen and side windows. There seems to be a few on club shop but which do people recommend.

Dont promise too much ;-)

We mostly just use the genuine internals. And if cold or very warm, we use the one from Comfortz. Packs nicely into the bag and into one of the chairs in the tailgate compartment. The Comfortz topper fits nicely into the other chair btw. It's a great kit to have, and it was the first we bought for our Cali as I recall.

Having wind deflectors and opening the side window a notch has a huge impact on eliminating condensation. Alternatively get the hook for the tailgate, so you can have it slightly open but still locked.

The best way to blackout front and side cabin windows and reducing condensation is a external thermal screen .

All windows behind the front seats are double glazed and will nomal not condens , the rolling blinds do the work more than enough to blackout.

Do take note , ventilation is a must!

ok

Just be aware that without adequate ventilation, more difficult with an external screen, you will get condensation even with a thermal outer screen, just not on the windscreen or side windows. Instead you will get it on the cold internal body panels in the kitchen cupboards or wardrobes. That’s just Basic Physics. Without adequate ventilation the water vapour produced by 2 or more adults sleeping etc is quit considerable and if cold outside it will condense on any cold surface.

ok

On the one night we've tried it, we've been pleased with the comfortz one and it was minus 1 outside. It's fairly thick and made of tough material which is flexible and doesn't seem likely to rip. As with what everyone else has said, ventilation was important.

I looked at lots of other versions and almost bought one of the expensive quilted ones which seemed great .... but also big. The comfortz one neatly fits inside one of the deck chairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ok

Hi Tom

I use the Brandrup one and a kitchen window airvent (sorry pic isn‘t that good). I often leave the drivers and passangers window:
ef60ad042b549b0fd978df6d162029d1.jpg

+1 for comfortz, although storage in with the chairs and the topper makes the tailgate slightly more heavier

I also use an exterior windscreen cover & camp all the year round.
It's only come off once and that was in 80mph winds last week. One side of the velcro came off, but the other side held so it didn't blow away.
The screen makes a big difference to the warmth inside the van in the winter and in the summer the silvered side reflects the heat away so it doesn't get so hot inside.

For blacking out I use an eye mask. In the summer I use the thermal wrap around external screen just because it's so much easier to put on than faffing around with the internal screens. I tend not to use it in the winter because then I've got to pack it away wet and dry it later, which is another faff. I'm looking for faff-free in my life. :D

For blacking out I use an eye mask. In the summer I use the thermal wrap around external screen just because it's so much easier to put on than faffing around with the internal screens. I tend not to use it in the winter because then I've got to pack it away wet and dry it later, which is another faff. I'm looking for faff-free in my life. :D
Well if you park with no one in front of you - don't bother with the front blinds just use your eye-shade.:thumb

80946F98-9381-4826-BDAE-5BCBC2505962.jpeg Genuine ‘Silver Screen’ every time. We have been using them for years on Split Screens, Bays, T4 Cali and have just purchased a new one for our T5 Cali. Never ‘blown out’, perfect fit...absolutely no condensation, given comments above regarding proper ventilation.

Now come with (Velcro) pull down front...useful if parked up for a few days.

View attachment 29471 Genuine ‘Silver Screen’ every time. We have been using them for years on Split Screens, Bays, T4 Cali and have just purchased a new one for our T5 Cali. Never ‘blown out’, perfect fit...absolutely no condensation, given comments above regarding proper ventilation.

Now come with (Velcro) pull down front...useful if parked up for a few days.

Absolutely agree. We have had them on every camper and they great.
Just remember to turn the front seats before fitting or you can’t open the doors far enough! .