Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

which topper

D

Dazshep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
hello everyone. following on from the mega advice on seat covers, I am now asking which roof topper to buy.
After reading various threads on here and with a dry v wet camping stat in the last 3 years of 0/11, I feel this could be a much needed item. In fact it would be fair to say that if you saw me on site then expect to get wet!!!!
your opinions are most grateful.

Hi there,

I initially wasn't going to bother getting one as I figured the van is pretty weatherproof as it is, but as we don't have anywhere to dry off the bellows after a trip I decided to get the comfortz topper to prevent from having to close the roof with soggy bellows.

I got the version without windows as I figured everything would be closed up in bad weather anyway and we don't use the topper in the summer months when we would have the flaps open.

It does the job fine, the main benefit I find is that it keeps the heat in a lot better than without. We have also used it in some pretty windy weather and it has stayed put no problem, so I'd definitely recommend it if you plan on winter camping a lot.

It isn't too tricky to fit (takes a bit of practice and there was swearing the first time I did it), but once you've done it a couple of times it doesn't take long to set it up.

The main downside is the fact that if you want to drive somewhere (rather than set up and leave it for a few days) then it is a bit of an arse to keep fitting it and removing it each time you go out. If you don't mind that, I'd recommend it.

+1, definitely. also easily stored as it will slide in with the chairs in the tailgate.

Hi there,

We wouldn't be without one.

There are many options out there... My preference is the original Mütze from California-Camping in Germany.

Mutze

We've had ours since we got our van in 2009 and it's on every time we camp and still looks good.

Take less than 5 minutes putting on... 3 to take off and fold down. (Two people... slightly longer with one)

There are now lot's of others very similar, some excellent, some almost impossible to use and very poor fit.

Comfortz... sponsors now also do a very good option, the Cali-topper very similar to the Mütze which gets excellent reports.

Also need to think about how well they fold down for storage.

Remember, the Mütze or similar provides protection from rain but has very little thermal effect. There are other options that do this much better, both internal and external to the roof bellows.

Might be worth seeing a couple of the options in the "flesh" at one of the meets or see if there's someone close that you could pop along to.

Rgds

Mark

Last edited:
I agree, these are very useful for foul weather, we have one with windows which we like as you can have a weather check while we are still in bed, also means you get a lot more light in if you have the roof bellows vents open during the day. We had ours on this week at Glencoe, very strong blustery side winds and torrential rain on Wednesday evening meant that there was a lot of flapping and van rocking but the roof bellows remained almost dry.

I was almost surprised the topper stood up to such abuse but there was no way I was getting out of my sleeping bag in those conditions, at 2 am we did have give in and move down to the bottom bed, just too noisy to sleep up top!

We have a Comfortz roofless topper with windows.

Thanks again for posts. Picking Cali up on Wednesday and think the comfortz Cali topper does it for me.

I was thinking about getting only an internal topper. Because it's easier to set up (can be left in place), and it doesn't take trunk space.
Leaving with a wet roof could be a disadvantage ...

Having bought the Khyam Kamper Cozi a couple of years ago I've stuck with it, and actually quite like it.

It's warm and protects from the wind, rain and cold, and I can put it up/down single handedly. Yes it's a bit cumbersome and is a bit of a faff to dry BUT for short stays/overnighters in this country it's fine. If you throw away the bag it comes with and buy a canvas draw string bag for a caravan water container (£6) it slips in with loads of room to spare

We've used it in very cold weather (e.g., Dub Freeze a couple of weeks ago) without the need to keep the heater on overnight.

We use the comfortz leisure topper, been using since December and I am very impressed.

+1 for the Mutze.

Good price too given the forum discount and current Euro rate.

i ordered a new topper from Comfortz and it will arrive on Thursday. I can only agree with sd5000 and say that the service from them was fantastic!

My internal Cali-Cosy is on it's way from Comfortz, will report when it arrives!

Not taken delivery of my Cali yet.
If you lower the roof with the bellows damp, or wet, will that make the mattress wet? Luckily I have somewhere to dry it properly at home, but am concerned that just using the vehicle in the daytime, after a wet night, will lead to problems the next night?? I'm guessing an internal topper won't alter this.

Not taken delivery of my Cali yet.
If you lower the roof with the bellows damp, or wet, will that make the mattress wet? Luckily I have somewhere to dry it properly at home, but am concerned that just using the vehicle in the daytime, after a wet night, will lead to problems the next night?? I'm guessing an internal topper won't alter this.
Like a tent, moisture will pass through the bellows canvas if it touches something, e.g. the mattress so you need to raise the roof to dry the canvas when possible.

The internal topper is made of waterproof material so should stop the mattress getting damp, but the canvas will still need to be dried.

If you use an external topper you may have to remove it in the rain. The bellows will then get wet and you will have to dry the topper and the bellows! I know from experience :( (And you will need a strong washing line for the topper ...)

Interesting question from Rich-S, bellows do get damp without question, sometimes very damp if it has been horizontal rain and / or very cold and there has also been some condensation on the inside. We used our van right up to the end of the year without a external topper, often putting the roof down damp after rain between stops, and cannot say we have found this a significant problem.

Since we got the external topper bellows stays mostly dry unless rain / snow is horizontal which it has been! topper also avoids condensation.

If we do not use the topper and the bellows are damp / wet we mitigate the risk of making the mattress damp by spreading out our insulated foil (Branderup) internal windscreen covers on the mattress before we lower the roof.

The internal topper sounds appealing but I suspect that it will have to be removed to allow the bellows to dry properly, storage with any dampness between the bellows and inner topper would only cause mildew and mould.

If you use an external topper you may have to remove it in the rain. The bellows will then get wet and you will have to dry the topper and the bellows! I know from experience :( (And you will need a strong washing line for the topper ...)

You're absolutely spot on about the belows being like a tent and anything touching the inside of the tent encouraging water ingress... I've always wondered in internal toppers actually made the bellows absorb more water?

Removing the external topper in the rain... We've never had an issue with the bellows getting wet. We lower the roof to about 8 inches at the front, (Rear almost closed) before taking the topper off. Then lower the roof the rest of the way. used it in some torrential downpours and incredibly strong winds (The campsite at Bamborough springs to mind) but unless the rain is pretty much near horizontal then the bellows don't get wet at all in the minute or so that they are exposed.

Drying the topper can be a pain, but we only do that at the end of a trip and do it indoors, wiped with a microfibre towel first and as such dries in around 30 minutes. (The Mutze doesn't absorb and water, it's all on the surface)

Rgds
Mark

I agree roof is almost closed when external topper is removed so bellows do not get wet taking it off.

There are no doubt pros and cons for each system, each to there own.

Drying the topper can be a pain, but we only do that at the end of a trip and do it indoors, wiped with a microfibre towel first and as such dries in around 30 minutes. (The Mutze doesn't absorb and water, it's all on the surface)
Mine was/is a Vanorak made of some strange material not suitable for wiping down. Point taken about minimal rain getting on the bellows during removal, I guess I thought it was getting wet but it probably wasn't. I was though!

Another +1 for Comfortz nick replaced a zip in my awning panel without charging even though I think it was me that broke it. Top bloke with 100% customer care.

I just placed an order with comfortz for a topper and screen cover after reading this, used the vip discount code so saved a few pennies.

Another +1 for Comfortz, excellent customer care and made in the UK, we give the Germans too much of our money as it is :)

We've got the VW California Vanorak (manufactured here in the UK). It's expensive but brilliant. Keeps all the heat in, let's no water through and also acts as a black out blind meaning our toddlers slept in until 8am. Worth every penny!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a vanrak at COTF last year, when packed away it took up most of the boot area, christ knows what it is made of :shocked

Back