Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

which topper

We have the Cali Topper and it is excellent. Now we have used it a few times takes 5 mins to put it on/take it off. We used it in strong winds/driving rain recently and there was some water ingress onto the main roof bellows but the weather was pretty extreme. We were perfectly dry inside. Not sure what others use but this seems to be a good piece of kit at a decent price.

I see that some say it will fit in with the chairs when folded, tried that and so far doesn't seem to be possible ! However, it is compact and doesn't take up much space when in its bag...

I saw a vanrak at COTF last year, when packed away it took up most of the boot area, christ knows what it is made of :shocked
Strange! Ours will fit inside one of the folding chairs in the rear tailgate if it's folded properly. Apart from that, I don't know whether its better or worse than others on the market; I prefer the internal type.

Edit: Sorry, it doesn't fit in with the chairs in, you have to take one out (if you need the topper you won't be sitting out anyway!). Here a link to a pic of it
http://1drv.ms/1J3ovEq

Last edited:
I saw a vanrak at COTF last year, when packed away it took up most of the boot area, christ knows what it is made of :shocked
I've had a vanarak for about 4 years now - if folded up properly so it fits in the bag I don't find it takes up much space at all.
We carry it in the cali at all times regardless of whether we use it or not

Pretty shocked to find that on our first roof-up outing in the new Beach, the inside of the roof canvas was VERY wet despite there only being a drizzle and virtually no wind. I can't get over the fact that this is 'normal' on a £38,000 campervan!

Do we waterproof it with a tent gunk? Or do we get off our high horse and spend even more on a topper? So far, the Calitop looks best, but we'd really appreciate any thoughts.I've also given VW a few of my thoughts too!!:mad:

Strange! Ours will fit inside one of the folding chairs in the rear tailgate if it's folded properly. Apart from that, I don't know whether its better or worse than others on the market; I prefer the internal type.

Edit: Sorry, it doesn't fit in with the chairs in, you have to take one out (if you need the topper you won't be sitting out anyway!). Here a link to a pic of it
http://1drv.ms/1J3ovEq

Ours definitely fits in one of the chairs in the tailgate, it's in there now.

Pretty shocked to find that on our first roof-up outing in the new Beach, the inside of the roof canvas was VERY wet despite there only being a drizzle and virtually no wind. I can't get over the fact that this is 'normal' on a £38,000 campervan!

Do we waterproof it with a tent gunk? Or do we get off our high horse and spend even more on a topper? So far, the Calitop looks best, but we'd really appreciate any thoughts.I've also given VW a few of my thoughts too!!:mad:

I am surprised you have had such an ingress problem, we used our Cali extensively for 10 months before we got our topper and that was really for winter use. We have camped in days of very heavy rain and have experienced in the main some dampness only, on one occasion we had extremely heavy driving rain all night that did result in some water on the inner roof sill. Worst dampness on the bellows has been in cold weather from condensation rather than ingress, that is why we got the topper, oh and to keep snow off the roof mechanism!

I am surprised you have had such an ingress problem, we used our Cali extensively for 10 months before we got our topper and that was really for winter use. We have camped in days of very heavy rain and have experienced in the main some dampness only, on one occasion we had extremely heavy driving rain all night that did result in some water on the inner roof sill. Worst dampness on the bellows has been in cold weather from condensation rather than ingress, that is why we got the topper, oh and to keep snow off the roof mechanism!
I'm not sure if that's reassuring or more worrying for us! I have read on the forum that the canvas tightens up with use, but it would have to transform itself quite dramatically. Has anyone used a waterproofer on it? If so, anything recommended?

I'm not sure if that's reassuring or more worrying for us! I have read on the forum that the canvas tightens up with use, but it would have to transform itself quite dramatically. Has anyone used a waterproofer on it? If so, anything recommended?

I think of it as a tent without a flysheet, it will have limitations. All modern tents have an inner tent and a flysheet outer to cope with the weather, think that's where the topper comes in. We watch the forecast and use the topper only if we think it will be needed, tend not to use it for single night stops.

I had read that it needed to get wet a few times before becoming fully waterproof, so I deliberately wet ours with a hose a couple of times before we used it to sleep in, the water beaded instantly & ran off.

However on our first overnight stop in france at easter we collected quite a pool of water on the frame round the hatch opening and in the corner at the rear end, to be fair 99% of this I would put down to the horizontal rain coming through the mesh vents, the rest could be condensation - it was only about 2 degrees and there were 5 of us sleeping.

I did have an external topper with us but couldn't be bothered to put it on at 2 in the morning when we stopped. I have since fitted an internal liner which looks like a no hassle option - its almost fit and forget, takes no storage space and most importantly does not involve me getting out the van in the pitch black / rain to put it on.

We will probably keep the external topper for snowy/winter stopovers as an additional layer but for wet spring/summer use the internal one looks a better bet.

I had read that it needed to get wet a few times before becoming fully waterproof, so I deliberately wet ours with a hose a couple of times before we used it to sleep in, the water beaded instantly & ran off.

However on our first overnight stop in france at easter we collected quite a pool of water on the frame round the hatch opening and in the corner at the rear end, to be fair 99% of this I would put down to the horizontal rain coming through the mesh vents, the rest could be condensation - it was only about 2 degrees and there were 5 of us sleeping.

I did have an external topper with us but couldn't be bothered to put it on at 2 in the morning when we stopped. I have since fitted an internal liner which looks like a no hassle option - its almost fit and forget, takes no storage space and most importantly does not involve me getting out the van in the pitch black / rain to put it on.

We will probably keep the external topper for snowy/winter stopovers as an additional layer but for wet spring/summer use the internal one looks a better bet.
'Fit and forget' sounds like my cup of tea, but surely the water gets trapped between the original canvas and the inner lining. It would still need to be dried off before lowering the roof. An external topper would keep the original canvas dry?

Yes the canvas will still get wet but I am hopeful that the waterproof inner lining will stop the bedding getting wet with the roof down. I will then put it back up & let it dry at the earliest opportunity. As long as the mattress stays dry I'm not too worried about the canvas.

If I knew I was going to be parked up for a couple of days I wouldn't mind getting wet whilst taking on and off an external topper, for a one nighter the hassle unless the weather is extreme outweighs the benefit in my view. & if the weather is that extreme would you want to be outside putting on the topper?

Another benefit with the internal topper is still being able to open the windows.

Last edited:
I think there are pros and cons for inner and outer systems, just got to decide which one is best for your needs.

VW say in handbook not to spray anything on it.

Sent from my SM-G900F

And the result is...roofless topper ordered from Comfortz and VW about to call me to discuss my unhappiness! Do you reckon they'll send me a cheque to pay for the topper?

We have the Calitopper (Comfortz)...quick to put on, extra layer to stop draughts and kept us nice and dry recently in gales/wind....works for us, no hassle, use it all the time :)

Well, the Comfortz topper was great, but too awkward for me to put on alone. We're now about to take delivery of a Calitop from Calitop.eu. Trouble is, the set-up looks very complicated and the instructions are in German. I can speak a little, but not enough to work out where all the bits and pieces go. Has anyone used one, and any advice?

Do the people who have Comfortz toppers , perminant leave the thumb screws fitted to the awning rails?

Do the people who have Comfortz toppers , perminant leave the thumb screws fitted to the awning rails?
Yep I do. Conscious of scratching the runners and also saves the bother of doing it each time. I believe they come with small protective washers but fitted mine with bigger rubber ones.

Mike

Yep I do. Conscious of scratching the runners and also saves the bother of doing it each time. I believe they come with small protective washers but fitted mine with bigger rubber ones.

Mike
Thanks Mike

No, I take mine off, easy and quick to put on and take off, no sign of ant scratching.

Back