Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tow bar bike rack?

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi!

I finally choose to go for the tow bar rack. So now I've to decide which one to use.
I usually carry 2 bikes(electric bikes! 25kg each, but this includes the battery that is removed when transporting), but could be nice to take one small one from my nephew sometimes(light one, 15kg I guess). Also, I would like something that allows me to lock the bikes to the rack.

I found 2 that are "folding" to take less space when not used.

Thule easyfold xt2

altera genio pro:

But I can't find if it's still possible to open the big rear door of my cali once bike on?

(btw, does anyone has picture of what the rear camera shows when having 2 bike? Nothing at all? Or possible to see a bit?

Yes, but is the folding range compatible with the california?
I have the Atera Genio pro for two 25kg+ electric all terrain mountain bikes. the boot lid opens just fine with this bike rack loaded and unloaded. I had a Thule Folding bike rack previously and sold that on because the boot wouldn’t open - even though it was a recommended design. There are not many bike racks that can hold two very heavy bikes but this one does and it works! I hope this recommendation helps You decide.
the only other option is a bike rack not specifically designed for heavy electric bikes .. eg .. designed for four bikes but you space them out. I didn’t want the faff of having to do this so after much research bought the Genio Pro. good luck.

I have the Atera Genio pro for two 25kg+ electric all terrain mountain bikes. the boot lid opens just fine with this bike rack loaded and unloaded. I had a Thule Folding bike rack previously and sold that on because the boot wouldn’t open - even though it was a recommended design. There are not many bike racks that can hold two very heavy bikes but this one does and it works! I hope this recommendation helps You decide.
the only other option is a bike rack not specifically designed for heavy electric bikes .. eg .. designed for four bikes but you space them out. I didn’t want the faff of having to do this so after much research bought the Genio Pro. good luck.
Awesome thank you! I will go for the genio pro then!

I'm curious, can you still see anything with the rear camera once the 2 bikes are on?

Awesome thank you! I will go for the genio pro then!

I'm curious, can you still see anything with the rear camera once the 2 bikes are on?

I honestly can’t remember, with this wretched Lockdown, it’s been awhile!! The good news it, I am sure it has not been an issue .. that I would have remembered!

Note that some people on the forum have suggested that bike racks often have two fitting options. Mine came good to go but you may have to check your fittings when it arrives to make sure it is set up to allow rear door clearance. It’s just a matter or moving a bolt over.

Yes, but is the folding range compatible with the california?
Shows it on a Cali, just move around the boxes in the 'equipment and accessories.Top left box

I have a Diamant SG2 Plus (you must get the Plus version for a Transporter) - it's good quality, rated for up to 60Kg, folds for storage and includes a storage bag. Paid £340 new for it new on eBay from EuroCarParts. Can't recommend it enough.

Another Atera Genio Pro owner.

Very well made product which handles e-bikes very well. Can confirm boot lid opens - a set of extender bars for the tilt check straps are provided in the kit to allow for the T6/Marco Polo scenario - normal vehicles wouldn’t need them. I have the third bike extender and it will fold all the way to the floor with a bike on, but you need to be careful and make sure the outer pedal is properly positioned (down I think, can’t quite recall muscle memory from my arm chair). Very pleased with it.

Yes, But not a lot. Certainly not enough to rely on.

I also came to realise that with the bike carrier plugged in hill descent control is unavailable, which makes sense in a trailer towing scenario.

Hi!

I finally choose to go for the tow bar rack. So now I've to decide which one to use.
I usually carry 2 bikes(electric bikes! 25kg each, but this includes the battery that is removed when transporting), but could be nice to take one small one from my nephew sometimes(light one, 15kg I guess). Also, I would like something that allows me to lock the bikes to the rack.

I found 2 that are "folding" to take less space when not used.

Thule easyfold xt2

altera genio pro:

But I can't find if it's still possible to open the big rear door of my cali once bike on?

(btw, does anyone has picture of what the rear camera shows when having 2 bike? Nothing at all? Or possible to see a bit?

Hi,
I have the Atera strada DL and use it to carry 4 bikes, it is possible to slide forward and open the tailgate with The bikes in situ.
I have a video review on my Channel if it is of interest, click here :

Atera Bike Rack review

it’s a great piece of kit and we much prefer it to the tailgate mounted VW rack That we had previously. Whilst we don’t have a rear camera, I can only imagine you would see not much apart from bikes on the screen once they were loaded.
cheers
JT

I have this one, but I think it is discontinued now:

Works like a charm on the T5 and T5.1. Or must I say, on the older towbars.
On my dad's T6 (with a more recent fixed towbar from 2018), the bikes are a little closer to the bootlid, so you have to pull the bikes away from the van to be able to open the lid.

I have no problems opening my bootlid, even without bikes on it and the fixing bar up straight.
I don't know if the tilting system will work that well with a 3rd bike on it? Will that bike not touch the ground before the carrier is completely tilted? Don't know?

Hi, have the Thule EasyFold XT3. It doesn’t really work with a California unless you modify it to open further. I did and it is ok, but the clearances are very tight, and have to take the third bike off if the ground is uneven. Having said that the clamps are good and it is a solid unit, plus it folds so you can store it in the boot when parked or in garage. I usually carry 3 mountain bikes.

Modification instructions to get it to open further are somewhere on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resurrecting this thread. I’ve been holding out for the Atera Genio Pro to come back into stock but still no sign of that happening PLUS they have issued a product recall due to a faulty component that can result in the rack folding flat whilst driving!
So now looking for an alternative. Obviously I will want to be able to open the tailgate with the rack in situ’.
Any recommendations? I only need a 2 bike rack but if there’s a 3 bike rack that’s suitable i’d consider it.

I have a westfalia BC 60 - folds up very small & we have the matching optional luggage box.

I haven't tried it on the T6.1 yet & need to as the towbar looks to be different & a couple of mm less projection than on the old van may stop the boot opening.

s-l500.jpg

I have a westfalia BC 60 - folds up very small & we have the matching optional luggage box.

I haven't tried it on the T6.1 yet & need to as the towbar looks to be different & a couple of mm less projection than on the old van may stop the boot opening.

View attachment 72868
Thanks Andy, that looks good and the box could be very handy on occasions. If and when you try it on the t6.1 if you could let me know i’d really appreciate ir. Have you got the factory fitted removable towbar?

Thanks Andy, that looks good and the box could be very handy on occasions. If and when you try it on the t6.1 if you could let me know i’d really appreciate ir. Have you got the factory fitted removable towbar?
yes factory fit.

We have a Atera Strada DL3 from Roof Box Company. Worked very well but it take take a little while to work out which order to do things. We were able to open the rear door on a T5.

bike rack.jpg

I never even considered that my Thule easy fold txt-2 would not fit. It has worked with every other vehicle I have had with a tailgate. I guess their is something odd with the California geometry, I can’t fathom why it would not work mine tips to almost horizontal.

Wondering if I should sell it now and get the Westfalia one on order? Shame as its the perfect bike rack for me in so many ways.

I never even considered that my Thule easy fold txt-2 would not fit. It has worked with every other vehicle I have had with a tailgate. I guess their is something odd with the California geometry, I can’t fathom why it would not work mine tips to almost horizontal.
Its because the cali bootlid is so long compared to a car, as it goes up it projects out a long way, also when starting from closed position, the edge of the boot lid is very close to the tow ball.

Wondering if I should sell it now and get the Westfalia one on order? Shame as its the perfect bike rack for me in so many ways.
It may well work? Perhaps somebody else with the same model can confirm.
The reason for my post is that I know with some racks the tailgate can’t be opened even when they are folded flat. On the geometry issue, I think it’s simply that the California tailgate is long and therefore the ‘sweep’ is shallower than an estate car.

I have used it on a VITO and a discovery without problems. Looking a the modification in an earlier post, I had a quick look at my rack and it seems simple enough should it be needed. I think I will keep it and see how it goes. Most of the others seems out of stock anyway so nothing to be gained in selling mine right now.

We have the Thule XT-3 (albeit with the XT Backspace on the rear). Does the job incredibly well and clears the boot door.

IMG_5991.JPEG

IMG_5987.JPEG

IMG_5982.JPEG

IMG_5980.JPEG

We have the Thule XT-3 (albeit with the XT Backspace on the rear). Does the job incredibly well and clears the boot door.

Which exact model of XT-3 is it? there appear to be a couple of different ones. spotting that you can use the bag and add the extra 4th bike rail & so carry a bike as well means changing my westfalia to one of these could save me some money as I wouldn't need the bike rack as well.