Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tow bar mounted bike rack ?

PengySass

PengySass

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello . Please can anyone offer us advice. Apologies if already discussed , but I am unable to find my specific query answered. Thanks.
We took delivery of my California Ocean T6.1 campervan which we absolutely love. I’m hoping for some advice regarding a bike rack which is my next purchase.
specs ….
I only want it for 2 bikes and it is to be attached to the removeable tow bar that was factory fitted. I want to ensure that I pick the right one that will tilt back far enough to clear the tailgate so that I can open it with the bikes still on. I have read on this site that this is not possible to do with the Thule XT2 Easyfold. The other two options I can find are 1) Diamont SG2 PLUS or 2) Uebler i21.

I must stress that I do not want to be making any alterations to the bike rack to enable it to fold fully so I can open the tailgate.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice and also the best site to buy the bike rack (I think Uebler is from Ford?)
many thanks . Pengers

foto (100).JPG
IMG_20190526_195127.jpg

This is the Atera Strada Evo 3 (for 3 bikes).
They had the Evo 2 (for 2 bikes), but it think this model is discontinued now.
We had a Thule Euroride 3 (3 bikes), but this rack didn't slide away like the Atera, but just tilted, so I was never able to open the boot with the rack on. Now with 3 bikes on, it clears all the way for the bootlid to open freely, even with the butterfly handle bars. With very wide handle bars it would still be unable to open completely, but at least more than the 2 inches with the Thule.

For 2 bikes there a a lot more possibilities (racks who tilt over 90°), so it would be best to be able to try them out before you buy.

A lot of us have an Atera, but also a lot have other brands.
Atera serves me best at the moment.

I bought the Atera STRADA DL 3 last year from The Roof Box Company and spent a month in France with our two road bikes. I found easiest way to load them was my wife's on the inner of the three positions and mine on the outer no need to adjust handlebars and no interference between bikes. Once on site with the carrier slid back can lift tailgate without removing bikes, great bit of kit.

We’ve got a Strada DL3 with the 4th bike attachment which you wouldn’t need. It’s a very good rack. Sturdy, easy to fit. A friend saw it and bought one too for his volvo. Don’t think you can beat them really. The slide is clever. Clears the tailgate just about with wide MTB handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the Diament SGD 2 Plus for two bikes. Very happy, tailgate opens fully no fiddling required. We readily purchase again.

Thule VeloSpace XT 3 for us, yes is for 3 bikes, but will fold out the way to open the boot...

I think this was the video that sold me on it:

We’ve got a Strada DL3 with the 4th bike attachment which you wouldn’t need. It’s a very good rack. Sturdy, easy to fit. A friend saw it and bought one too for his volvo. Don’t think you can beat them really. The slide is clever. Clears the tailgate just about with wide MTB handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the DL3 too, worked very well and would definitely recommend.

I’m pleased with my Uebler i21, bought from Ford when they had a 25% off offer. We only need to carry 2 bikes, the rack is well made and very compact when folded. Door clears the rack, provided that the rack is able to fall to a level or lower position. The width of your handle bar has a bearing on this. So sometimes you have to bear in mind where you are parking, and / or turn the handlebar of the rear bike through 90 degrees.

EF44DFA8-9024-4B2C-8EA0-07BBE9EB4269.jpeg

Intresting thread, i had the same problem 8 yrs ago , so i cut the tubes on my thule rack and extended by 2 inches welded up tailgate just clears bikes. now i see theres more on the market. Uebler looks good any idea . will look in it.Also instead of rack pop two folding bikes in when we travel.

I’m pleased with my Uebler i21, bought from Ford when they had a 25% off offer. We only need to carry 2 bikes, the rack is well made and very compact when folded. Door clears the rack, provided that the rack is able to fall to a level or lower position. The width of your handle bar has a bearing on this. So sometimes you have to bear in mind where you are parking, and / or turn the handlebar of the rear bike through 90 degrees.

View attachment 88718
Thanks very much , pls can you let us know what sort of tow bar you have …fixed or removable .? cheers

I have a removal towbar (factory fitted}. Just checked out the uebler like most racks now , £500 ish . Hard to justify at the moment. unless we need our racers or gravel bikes , i have two tern folding bikes s that sit in the van ok. And will later convert these to electric. as our last french trips have not been in hilly areas.

VW removable towbar, T6.1, MY20
Great - thanks , we’re going ahead with the Uebler 90 degree tilt . I wonder if you have any advice on covers for said bikes … ? Thanks in advance

Great - thanks , we’re going ahead with the Uebler 90 degree tilt . I wonder if you have any advice on covers for said bikes … ? Thanks in advance
Sorry, no. It's been at the back of my mind to get a cover, but I've not done the research yet, other than that it's advisable to avoid a 'flappy' or too big cover. I may get one custom made.
I did get a cover for the rack when storing it, on the rationale that this may extend it's useful life:

These people do suitable covers. We have one to cover 2 bikes on a Thule Velospace XT3 rack. It fits quite well with multiple strap fastenings but is a bit of a hassle to put on. We therefore only tend to use it on long journeys where we expect bad weather. Good to have a cover whilst on a site and I’d say it does add an additional level of security.

A2199C2A-6ECB-40D3-8B8D-8CAFC05299EA.png

Last edited:
I have read on this site that this is not possible to do with the Thule XT2 Easyfold.
There is a trick to extend the ma tilt of Thule Easyflod bikeracks. Some plastic bit to cut. It then enable the tail gate opening.
Found the trick on this forum, try the search button

Hello . Please can anyone offer us advice. Apologies if already discussed , but I am unable to find my specific query answered. Thanks.
We took delivery of my California Ocean T6.1 campervan which we absolutely love. I’m hoping for some advice regarding a bike rack which is my next purchase.
specs ….
I only want it for 2 bikes and it is to be attached to the removeable tow bar that was factory fitted. I want to ensure that I pick the right one that will tilt back far enough to clear the tailgate so that I can open it with the bikes still on. I have read on this site that this is not possible to do with the Thule XT2 Easyfold. The other two options I can find are 1) Diamont SG2 PLUS or 2) Uebler i21.

I must stress that I do not want to be making any alterations to the bike rack to enable it to fold fully so I can open the tailgate.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice and also the best site to buy the bike rack (I think Uebler is from Ford?)
many thanks . Pengers
Thule
I’ve used it for years
Folds down so yo can open tailgate with bikes still on
Buy on eBay for around £300

Hi Pengers, I realise that I am a bit late to this topic, but I bought 2 e- bikes and then realised that they would be too heavy to lift onto the standard bike rack. I bought the Thule easy fold rack and it has been great. Easily copes with 2 fairly heavy bikes. It's dead easy to put on and take off and you can even get a wee ramp to make life even easier. Another nice thing is that it folds up to the size of a small suitcase so easily stored. Alan

specs ….

many thanks . Pengers
I have seen advertised a rack that swings instead of tilts but cannot remember the name. I am guessing it is not cheap nor light, but would give full access to the rear.

specs ….

many thanks . Pengers
Checkout the YouTube channel. California Time. They show you the Thule bike rack. It’s what I’d get

I also have the Uebler i21 90° with carry case. Fits on the removable tow bar of my T6 Beach. As mentioned before, you need to make sure the rack can fold down horizontal if you have a straight handlebar bike. I put that bike on the outside rail and a drop handlebar bike on the inside rail. It's pretty light to carry, and folds down quite small so it could be tucked away in the van instead of leaving it on the ball while camping. We don't have a cover for the bikes while on the rack.