Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tyres for VW Generation 6 ‘Discus’ alloys - confused?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hope to purchase VW generation 6 alloys, will need to have tyres fitted, really confused what to purchase. Read the discussion in previous post about Michelin Cross, Agilis/SUV 235/255 etc.

We own a T6.1 199 4Motion, have a bike rack (carry 3x bikes) and a tow bar to tow our Eriba, camp on CLs but probably will not be wild camping in muddy fields.

Tyre sticker in driver’s door says 255/45 R18 xI 103H - no idea what any of that means!!

What would people recommend, Michelin Cross Climate have been mentioned a lot - SUV and Agilis variations have been mentioned - not sure what the difference is?

Looking on the internet put in Michelin Cross Climate and via the Michelin website local fitter best price was “starting from £182.10” - gulp! Spending a lot on the alloys and tyres are the important part for safety etc so realise need to get the right tyre.

Sorry for the long question, any help greatly received on best brand/tyre?

I’ve gone for uni royal Rainsport 5 tyres. In 255/45/18 size, had rainsport 3 previously.

They are designed particularly to be good in the wet, I’ve used them for years & found them ok in snow & good in mud due to big open tread pattern. Price wise you should be able to get them for about £120 each.

If going to the Alps I prefer narrow winter tyres on 17 wheels that can take chains.

With all that weight on the back I would go, as we have for the Agilis as they have a higher weight loading than the Cross Climate. Some say they give a lot of road noise, others say the opposite. We have not found the noise from ours an issue.

255 is the width of the tyre, 45 refers to the depth of the tyre as a % so depth is 45% of 255, 18 is the rim size in inches and 103 referes to the load limit on each tyre. Any tyre site will give you a list of load limits.
With that weight I would go for 106, or higher, load limit tyre, some on here will disagree I expect. But better safe than sorry is my mantra.

These are what the Michelin Agilis Cross climate look like , albeit on a 17 inch ( to give snow chain option if/when/ never ..) but will give u an idea , a lot of head scratching on tyres and wheels recently , hopefully at a 'karma' now !!

Tyre.jpg

With all that weight on the back I would go, as we have for the Agilis as they have a higher weight loading than the Cross Climate. Some say they give a lot of road noise, others say the opposite. We have not found the noise from ours an issue.

255 is the width of the tyre, 45 refers to the depth of the tyre as a % so depth is 45% of 255, 18 is the rim size in inches and 103 referes to the load limit on each tyre. Any tyre site will give you a list of load limits.
With that weight I would go for 106, or higher, load limit tyre, some on here will disagree I expect. But better safe than sorry is my mantra.
I presume you have also upgraded the Load Limit on your wheels as well?
The minimum for the California is a Load Limit of 103 on wheel and tyre. You can have higher if you wish, but using the excuse of higher rated tyres because of the load makes no sense unless the wheels are also upgraded. 103 is the rating for a California at MGW.

Hi @Gelato first you need to decide if you want all season tyres or not.
If you have a strong desire to have them and you want to stick with the recommended tyre size of 255/45 18 103 then you’re options are limited and expensive.

Hi @Gelato first you need to decide if you want all season tyres or not.
If you have a strong desire to have them and you want to stick with the recommended tyre size of 255/45 18 103 then you’re options are limited and expensive.
No strong desire for all season tyres just looked on the forum and the Cross Climate had good reviews, looking at the photo on my post not sure they would look right with the retro ‘Discus’ alloys. If we go for ‘everyday’ use any idea what to go for, going with what is suggested on the van tyre label and aware we are towing which is why we bought the 4Motion to help with traction. Any alternatives to the Michelin greatly received?

I presume you have also upgraded the Load Limit on your wheels as well?
The minimum for the California is a Load Limit of 103 on wheel and tyre. You can have higher if you wish, but using the excuse of higher rated tyres because of the load makes no sense unless the wheels are also upgraded. 103 is the rating for a California at MGW.
You are correct. I like to be well within limits so am happy with 106 rating, peace of mind.

You are correct. I like to be well within limits so am happy with 106 rating, peace of mind.
That's fine, but as regards weight you are still limited by the Wheel and axle weight capacity.

I bought a set of these back in November and went for the Crossclimate plus. They are 255/45 R18 Y (103). Bought them from black circles for £174 each - but even then, this was waiting for them to have a sale (15% off all Michelin tyres).3B2AD10F-6485-4A62-A0D1-168BC5FD2227.jpegI have found them to be smooth, stable and quiet. Not noticed any difference in handling from the summer tyres the van came with. In fact, when on the way to work a few weeks back during the big freeze, I was driving at around 65 down the dual carriageway and when I came to a bend I had to hit the breaks hard, because someone was doing about 30 and weaving backwards and forwards across the lanes, because they couldn’t see properly through the 6 inch window they had scraped in their windscreen. Anyway, the van remained in full control and stopped very quickly - so I am very happy with their performance!

I have discus alloys and dealer in Germany fitted them with Michelin Cross Climate 103 XL load 4 season, 255/ 45/ 18 , comfortable and highly recommended. Marcus at Wembley Tyres by far the cheapest when I fitted a set of the same tyres to an Audi Allroad last autumn

AD9FA2A0-B16F-4215-8A03-228F7773604A.jpeg

I am getting rid of the alloys ( too white - they were on a white 6.1 Beach) but planned to keep the tyres for my new alloys

Fabulous on my white 6.1 but not a fit for dechrome plans on red 6.1

C417DA66-394C-48E7-A9AC-9705118A50F0.jpeg

255/45/18 103V being the tyre that would have been fitted to those wheels by VW Factory for simplicity use that.

Bridgestone is a top Brand and their All Season Tyre is well reported, cheaper than equivalent Michelin by £40 per tyre.

example

An alternative to the 255/45/18 103V is a 235/55/18V 104V which will give slightly less rim kerb protection but has a dramatically reduced cost.
examples

255/45/18 103V being the tyre that would have been fitted to those wheels by VW Factory for simplicity use that.

Bridgestone is a top Brand and their All Season Tyre is well reported, cheaper than equivalent Michelin by £40 per tyre.

example

An alternative to the 255/45/18 103V is a 235/55/18V 104V which will give slightly less rim kerb protection but has a dramatically reduced cost.
examples
Thank you for this, will have a look, really helpful

Regarding the Discus wheels, anyone else experience pulling to the left constantly ?

Regarding the Discus wheels, anyone else experience pulling to the left constantly ?
Not specific to the 18" dDscus Wheels but...

I changed from Nokian All Season tyres, with no noticeable pull either way on the steering, to Michelin All Season tyres and immediately had a 'pull' to the left with the steering wheel slightly off centre when going straight. This has now mainly disappeared and seems to reduce when the tyres warm up after a few miles.
Only a tyre change, nothing else.
I've had this happen on cars in the past when wheels have been swapped around and it goes after the tyres have bedded in.

Put this on as it may be more tyre related than rim/wheel.

Not specific to the 18" dDscus Wheels but...

I changed from Nokian All Season tyres, with no noticeable pull either way on the steering, to Michelin All Season tyres and immediately had a 'pull' to the left with the steering wheel slightly off centre when going straight. This has now mainly disappeared and seems to reduce when the tyres warm up after a few miles.
Only a tyre change, nothing else.
I've had this happen on cars in the past when wheels have been swapped around and it goes after the tyres have bedded in.

Put this on as it may be more tyre related than rim/wheel.
Thanks for those thoughts but I've changed tyres on the recommendation of VW and also recently renewed the front tyres and now effect, still pulls to the left with a 5 - 10% steering wheel twist.
Perfectly fine on the continent and my tyre supplier here in Devon says lots of owners with alloys report the same issue.

Thanks for those thoughts but I've changed tyres on the recommendation of VW and also recently renewed the front tyres and now effect, still pulls to the left with a 5 - 10% steering wheel twist.
Perfectly fine on the continent and my tyre supplier here in Devon says lots of owners with alloys report the same issue.
repeated 4 wheel tracking got mine to the neutral steering position.

Most important seemed to be having the front & rear axles parallel and toe on both axles close to 100% accurate. Not just in tolerance, "that's all OK Mate" after a quick check.

Road camber will always have some effect. If all set properly UK & Continental roads should give left and right 'pull' in accordance with which side of the road you are on.

repeated 4 wheel tracking got mine to the neutral steering position.

Most important seemed to be having the front & rear axles parallel and toe on both axles close to 100% accurate. Not just in tolerance, "that's all OK Mate" after a quick check.

Road camber will always have some effect. If all set properly UK & Continental roads should give left and right 'pull' in accordance with which side of the road you are on.
Thanks again but done this several time and every wheel set 100%. Even VW eventually issued me a document attached....

Attachments

• photocopier-vwcv@helstongarages.co.uk_20180802_091725.pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
Thanks again but done this several time and every wheel set 100%. Even VW eventually issued me a document attached....
Didn't have mine done by VW.
Dealer quote " there is no adjustment on the rear". That instantly made me go elsewhere.

Back