Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Wind Out Awning to buy?

JonoSlack

JonoSlack

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi There
My lovely 2018 T6 Ocean arrived last Wednesday without a wind out awning - so the question from those who know, is it better to get a Thule 5102 awning or a Fiamma F45 . . Or is there something better?
Thanks in Advance

Hi There
My lovely 2018 T6 Ocean arrived last Wednesday without a wind out awning - so the question from those who know, is it better to get a Thule 5102 awning or a Fiamma F45 . . Or is there something better?
Thanks in Advance
The Countess of Devon had a Fiamma on her Cali last time it was seen on TV, good enough for the aristos........

Hi There
Thanks in Advance

We have had both - currently Thule ; Not much in it. Would say that the Fiamma one is more durable.

There are a couple of threads discussing these two, that I read recently, as I’m looking at options as well. There was no consensus but two common statements were:
- The Thule looks better and is lower than the Fiama when mounted. (The awning will be the highest point on the van so this might be a consideration if you garage it.)
- The Fiamma seems more robust.

My own personal view is based on owning and destroying a Thule. I didn’t realise it was gusty and had erected it without any tie down kit. There was a loud bang and when so looked out the awning had gone. The wind flipped it up over the roof. It broke the brackets and damaged the casing. Luckily the van and awning rail were unmarked. It was user error and no design or manufacturing fault of Thule. The only reason I’m debating between the two, is one is cheaper.

Can anyone confirm the difference in height of the Thule and Fiamma?

You can lookup the datasheet at the Fiamma website.
And you can lookup the data from the Thule website.

Took me less than 2 minutes.

You can lookup the datasheet at the Fiamma website.
And you can lookup the data from the Thule website.

Took me less than 2 minutes.
Thanks TrippleBee, that’s really helpful. What is the overall height with either awning on please?

The overall height isn't representative if you don't know how it fits on the van. But give me 2,5 minutes and I will give you the height of both.

Although Google is everyone's friend, I did all the work for you:
fiamma.JPG

thule luifel.JPG

Although I have a T4 it’s Fiamma every time.

Why?
Bike rack, fast moving trees that attack the back of the van.
Awning, it’s not supposed to be on top of the van.

Both situations have been experienced.

My point is Fiamma spares are available easily in many locations or online and parts are not expensive, I carry the brackets that break if it ends on the roof again, although if the pop top is up it breaks the stay also...

As to awnings the F45 can be a height issue, it is on the T4 Cali unless is has lowered suspension, we don’t so we have a manual roll out F35 Pro in black, a bit of a faff and is can only be fully out, but can be out quickly and away quickly.

The F45 is not the most stylish awning a big boxy thing so I can see the appeal of the Thule or similar, or VW’s Which is Thule although Thule won’t supply part for the VW version.

I suppose it comes down to what’s important, style or practicality.

The Thule wind out is, on my California, lower than the highest curvature point of the roof. There will not be an issue going under 2m barriers.
Thank you. Roger Donoghue who sells solar solutions to many people here suggests the awning is the highest point and that adding his solar solution to the roof does not increase height. He might be talking about the Fiamma awning rather than the Thule one.

Hello. He's talking about the factory Thule one in fact.

Thank you. Roger Donoghue who sells solar solutions to many people here suggests the awning is the highest point and that adding his solar solution to the roof does not increase height. He might be talking about the Fiamma awning rather than the Thule one.

An additional point to consider is the noise from the awning rattling in the casing. Even with the Thule updated anti rattle springs/clips, it is NEVER silent.
Would be interested to know peoples experience with the Fiamma awning?

We recently purchased a VW Cali Beach T6 (19 plate). It came with the VW awning (in black), which I believe is a Thule. Don't actually need it as planning to buy an air tent drive away side awning, so would be willing to sell if you want to pm me? Ours doesn't rattle at all, but at motorway speed you can hear a bit of wind noise...IMG_0561.jpegIMG_0561.jpegIMG_0562.jpegIMG_0563.jpegIMG_0561.jpegIMG_0562.jpegIMG_0563.jpeg

Thank you for the offer but I will stick with my rattling Thule.
The OP was seeking opinions between the 2 types and my experience of the Thule with updated "anti rattle" springs was to inform this. To be fair, the "updated springs" did reduce the rattles to a significant degree but after a year or so they seem to have gone off a bit but could also be use as the vehicle is only 2 years old that the awning mechanism is now fully "run in" and at peak rattle. Unfortunately, once identified as the source it is difficult to blot out.
However, I like problem solving, so the lockdown is prime opportunity nail this one.

I am sure despite my experience a road tested, demonstrated rattle free Thule awning at a reasonable price should be an easy sale.

Good luck

I've been trying to pick up a Thule Omnistor awning for my Californita a while now and following this thread i was convinced to be looking for the 5102 model. Then today i found a website in Italy (where I'm based) which specified that this was NOT for the California version. Here's the link:
The same website offers the 4900 Omnistor is offered for the T5/T6:

Can anyone shed light on the 4900?

Thanks!

I've been trying to pick up a Thule Omnistor awning for my Californita a while now and following this thread i was convinced to be looking for the 5102 model. Then today i found a website in Italy (where I'm based) which specified that this was NOT for the California version. Here's the link:
The same website offers the 4900 Omnistor is offered for the T5/T6:

Can anyone shed light on the 4900?

Thanks!
I believe they have made a mistake .
The 5102 is for the California, the 4900 for the Transporter/Multivan.

@WelshGas yes you're absolutely right. I've since been on Camping Wagner in Germany and it's super clear there. On the Italian e-commerce sites the information is not detailed enough. It's a shame Camping Wagner charges 80€ to ship to Italy :(

@WelshGas yes you're absolutely right. I've since been on Camping Wagner in Germany and it's super clear there. On the Italian e-commerce sites the information is not detailed enough. It's a shame Camping Wagner charges 80€ to ship to Italy :(
Have you been in contact with the Italian company?

@WelshGas which Italian company? I immediately looked for a Camping Wagner italy but no joy!

@WelshGas which Italian company? I immediately looked for a Camping Wagner italy but no joy!
The website you originally posted?

Back