Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which winter tyres?

coordinated

coordinated

VIP Member
Remember those cooler days, when you got winter tyres fitted?
Did you get on with them, and do you have any recommendations?
How much did you pay for them?

We're thinking of getting some M+S tyres soon (whilst they're still available/cheaper).
SMG have quoted a very reasonable £144+VAT per (fitted) tyre for Hankook I*cept Evo (I think that's the model).

We're not going to bother getting steels (I prefer the look of the alloys for the ~4 months we'll be using the winter tyres); we're just going to swap the tyres over. Anyone else do this, or do you all buy steels?

Thanks,
Steve

PS I've looked through the other threads, and the 4Motion Steel Wheels/Winter Tyres/Snow chains has lots of useful info, but I thought I might miss some folk if I just tacked this onto the 4Mo thread.

Some change wheels and tyres others just tyres and some not at all ....maybe more dependant on where you live how with the costs etc and time to swop over Steve ....if you just changing tyres I'd be tempted to have them on for longer than 4 months ....

I put 4 Hankook's on original wheels last October very pleased with them as we intend to keep the van for some time so bought second set of van alloys for the original tyres prior to taking the winter wheels of at the end of March. I consider the Hankooks& second set of wheels well worth the outlay. This is the first time I have bought winter tyres. The Hankooks were about the same price as you are being offered them at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

choplee said:
Some change wheels and tyres others just tyres and some not at all ....maybe more dependant on where you live how with the costs etc and time to swop over Steve ....if you just changing tyres I'd be tempted to have them on for longer than 4 months ....

Thanks, Lee

I'd originally thought five months – whenever it's not too much above 9C (or whatever the tyres are supposed to work up to). My head was a bit cooked when I wrote four, but I'm sure summer won't last forever ;-)

Looking to divide the wear between the two sets of tyres. But mostly want the added safety in the wet.

SMG quoted under £50 to swap the tyres over, which seems very reasonable to me.

Cheers,
Steve

HY09UMU said:
I put 4 Hankook's on original wheels last October very pleased with them as we intend to keep the van for some time so bought second set of van alloys for the original tyres prior to taking the winter wheels of at the end of March. I consider the Hankooks& second set of wheels well worth the outlay. This is the first time I have bought winter tyres. The Hankooks were about the same price as you are being offered them at

Great – thanks!

Bet you were glad of them in February.
The snow seems like a long time ago now!

I've been really impressed with my conti 4x4 m&s sport contact tyres. Got me through many miles of snow and ice tracks and winter months without any fuss. But they are not cheap.

I also used and was impressed with Toyo SnowProxy tyres. I've had those on my scoobi outback, and they ave been great, and relatively cheap.

I had a set of four Vredestein Comtrac all-season tyres fitted yesterday. £560.00 all in. Because the Cali is not used daily, I didn't feel the need to have a set of winter tyres, as well as a set of summer tyres. I wanted a set of tyres that I could use all year round, that would also give good traction on wet grass on campsites. The Vredesteines have a good block tread pattern, which should do the job.
Pete.

We were away in Febuary on Exmoor and yes very glad of winter tyres driving off the snow covered campsite and across Emoor home. Was worried prior to getting the winter tyres having replace my Forester with the Cali. I was also concerned how the DGS would be in the snow. From home did not take the Cali out in te snow much but felt if caught out in the snow or had to take it out winter tyres were worth the investment. Much better in the wet

Fitted Vredestein comtrac winter and run them all year round. Only do 4000 miles a year so wear is not a problem. Much improved grip on wet grass, no increased road noise and no noticeable increase in wear during the summer. Also noticed an increase in MPG. Looking forward to really testing them out in the snow! No!... Not really!!!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk HD

I got a set of these a couple of weeks ago, don't know if he has any left but a bargain I thought.
I don't like using alloys in winter as they so easily get messed up with salt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-17-STEE ... 7675.l2557

Incidentally he gave me a set of bolts as well as he reckons they are different for alloys/steel.

I've used Dunlop winter tyres on the Yeti and they have been good, Yokohamas on the Bongo good as well. I think whatever make you get the difference will be astounding.

Pre Cali the Bongo coped with this earlier this year so I'm hoping the 4Motion will be as good

tn34_zps9d7b5124.jpg

Attachments

• tn34_zps9d7b5124.jpg
    tn34_zps9d7b5124.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 1
Wheel bolts are the same for alloys and steel wheels if they are genuine wheels.

cheers

Is it advisable to change to winter tyres or do Cali's generally come with all season tyres :help

It depends on what tyres your vehicle comes from the factory with. Winter tyres are good and work in temperatures of 7 degrees and below.

cheers

I posted this after a recent visit to Citygate. It is a lottery as what tyres come on the California

Whilst I was at Citygate this morning having the roof looked at, I had a good look at the tyres fitted to the Californias and it was difficult to find two that had the same set :? With Michelin, Dunlop and Goodyear represented; I've also seen Hankook. What caught my eye this morning was the SE with the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons tyre, M&S plus snowflake. Given our climate they are probably a good compromise for use all year. http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin//rshop ... eugart=PKW.

I've got the Dunlop SportMaxx, although looking at the tread pattern I'm not convinced they'll be any good in snow or a slippery field. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Andy

I (like many others) have bought a set from Benn who advertises on here. A set of brand new steel wheels and GoodYear Cargo Vector 2 tyres (Mud and Snow rated - all made in Germany) for less than you would pay for the tyres alone.

Andy