Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Whirring noise in the dash

T

Treacle

Hi
Has anybody experienced an intermittent whirring noise coming from the dashboard - seems to be getting more frequent.
Cheers
Andrew

I haven't experienced it but I've read posts of an N75 valve that needs changing causing a moo-ing sound (like a cow) which seems to come from the dash area.

I believe it's quite cheap and quick to replace - possibly something to do with the turbo pressure?

Apparently it moos between gear changes and sometimes a little after the engine is switched off.

Mine moo'd only when I switched off the engine

Mine "moos" at low speed especially when manoeuvring into a park space or in slow crawling traffic, at normal speed it doesn't make a noise

Mines starting to "moo" 6 or 7 times a minute when in slow traffic, it's doing my nut in. Got it booked in for next Weds at local vw dealer. They estimate it being a 250 - 300 quid repair bill :-/

What vehicle do you have? No more than half an hour to change and if you have a 180 then there are two but they are above one another so the same time.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
What vehicle do you have? No more than half an hour to change and if you have a 180 then there are two but they are above one another so the same time.

cheers

Hi i have a 2010 with the 180 bhp engine. Does the whole dash have to come out or can the valves be accessed without dismantling do you know?

The turbo control valves are under the bonnet near the bulkhead. Very easy to access but a bit fiddly.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
The turbo control valves are under the bonnet near the bulkhead. Very easy to access but a bit fiddly.

cheers

Ok thanks a lot I'll have a look later to see if I can rectify myself before taking to vw ;-)

So today my Cali went in for investigations as to the mooing farting buzzing noise. Turns out both my N75 valves were fine but all the rubber pipes linking then all up were hard and perished. Hard to believe on a 4 year old , 20k mile vehicle! Anyway ÂŁ230:00 later they were all replaced with new modified rubber pipes and all back to normal. It seems to drive a lot smoother too so happy bunny once more ;-)

Anyone got a picture of where the 2 "Moo valves" are on a 2012 180hp please, I'd like to check the rubber pipes before doing anything else.

Thanks

WG has posted a few posts above yours and it has pictures

fair point but may give you an idea what to look for, mine was done on our 180 under warranty which was a 2012 and in was a updated part-- we were a high millage users so went within warranty

Not sure the picture is of a 180 as apparently they have 2 valves...
Cannot find a picture of the 180 engine but there are 2 valves 1 for each Turbo situated on the Firewall rear of the engine. Frequently it is the rubber tubes rather than the valve that is the problem and they were updated prior to 2014.

Cannot find a picture of the 180 engine but there are 2 valves 1 for each Turbo situated on the Firewall rear of the engine. Frequently it is the rubber tubes rather than the valve that is the problem and they were updated prior to 2014.
If useful to anyone, found them both and here is the picture, tubes look OK, certainly no signs of them being perished, access looks a little tricky :(20170906_112009226_iOS.jpg

Might just be a bit of rubbish in the vent system. Open all vents, fan full on and try it.
Ours did it a couple of days ago and a bit of leaf blew out.

Ours did this in Spain on our last trip away. Sounded like a phone vibrating on the dash and it took us a while to work out what it might be. We found one hose unsecured from a single clip but I'm not sure that would be the cause.

Back