Who is a hiker?

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I tend to think of Beach owners as hikers who are used to tents and backpacks. We are used to carrying everything on our backs for days or weeks, and find the Beach to be an amazing luxury. We don’t miss kitchens or wardrobes because that doesn’t enter into what we are used to carrying on our backs. This is a different world from the Ocean/SE compromise, which seems to try to carry a house in a van. Comments?
Edit: I want to be clear, I’m not making a judgment about which world is better, I’m just making an observation about how different these two worlds are, especially in view of VW’s current marketing strategy for the Beach.

Last edited:
I tend to think of Beach owners as hikers who are used to tents and backpacks. We are used to carrying everything on our backs for days or weeks, and find the Beach to be an amazing luxury. We don’t miss kitchens or wardrobes because that doesn’t enter into what we are used to carrying on our backs. This is a different world from the Ocean/SE compromise, which seems to try to carry a house in a van. Comments?

Nope, it’s down to simple preference. Nought more and nought less.

I guess though that beach owners like to use the vehicle as a daily driver, without looking at a kitchen.

We've always been hikers, that’s why we favoured a Beach over an Ocean. It’s a flexible vehicle that gives us everything we need. We are just finishing our first extended trip in the Beach, 2200+ miles, it’s been brilliant.

i'm a long time hiker, wild camper, bike packer, but i also love being well orgnaised. i had a multivan with a roof tent (i.e. a beach), and seemed to have endless boxes, bags, bits and bobs, and was always moving them around all over the place and constantly packing and repacking. been away for three weeks with my three small children in the coast and it's heaven. i seem to be able to get everything packed away, (no boxes for food, cooking, extras, lights etc. bedding all packed away, no mats for the incredibly uncomfortable downstairs bed) and everything takes less time and feels so much better organised. just feels like a home. love it!

i'm a long time hiker, wild camper, bike packer, but i also love being well orgnaised. i had a multivan with a roof tent (i.e. a beach), and seemed to have endless boxes, bags, bits and bobs, and was always moving them around all over the place and constantly packing and repacking. been away for three weeks with my three small children in the coast and it's heaven. i seem to be able to get everything packed away, (no boxes for food, cooking, extras, lights etc. bedding all packed away, no mats for the incredibly uncomfortable downstairs bed) and everything takes less time and feels so much better organised. just feels like a home. love it!
It could be that the variable here is children, but I must say I’m in awe of @Amarillo ‘s adventures.

In my instance can only disagree.

Lake District was my adopted home for years and trecked over just about every inch of it, climbed in some of the most remote parts of the world, trecked most of the Appalachian trail, wandered down on foot to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back, backpacked all but the last few miles of the 630 mile SW Coast Path, walked lands end - John o'Groats three times and own an Ocean.

My motivation in having an ocean was to have a complete base camp / bothy / shelter / rescue hut on wheels. no messing about, no having to think about it, totally self-contained and self sufficient.

Last edited:
Edit: I want to be clear, I’m not making a judgment about which world is better, I’m just making an observation about how different these two worlds are, especially in view of VW’s current marketing strategy for the Beach.
We have always been hikers. We camped for a long time in very small tents, with our three children. Our first son camped with us under the snow at the age of 9 months. All this is not incompatible with the desire to have a Coast or Ocean.

my parents had a t2 dormobile conversion which we all (2 parents, 4 boys) went around europe in every summer. i think that's why i like them. So many good memories.

I'm a hiker, climber, tour skier, mtb, and nothing beats having everything ready when I come from a tour, tired and cranky. I really don't want to fuss with looking for cooker in the trunk and so on...

I think I don't complicate and if I can afford it, why not?

Interesting also how many Beach owners then buy kitchen units , sinks, wardrobe, fridge to accessorise their van, and how many Ocean owners don't bother using the on board kitchen ...

We mulled our options over several years. We camped before children, and might have continued camping had it not been for our decision to take a year out touring Europe.

Initially our plan was to use Airbnb around Europe, sleeping in the van for emergencies only. But then the pound fell from €1.44 to €1.14.

We chose a Beach for its dual purpose: 4 berth camping and 7 seat MPV. We expect to keep it for ten years, after which we are thinking about a canal boat and the luxury of an onboard kitchen AND bathroom.

If it were just the two of us an Ocean would have suited us better, so for us it was children that led us to Beach ownership not our camping background.

Interesting to see that the Beach 6.1 comes in two variants: Tour and Camper. And the Camper version has a mini kitchenette with one gas hob, which can be stowed in the side:

80718455-99B0-4B13-B853-63E6D7EE0259.jpeg

Last edited:
We hike. And have ocean. Used to have beach. Love both but prefer the ocean for those miserable lake district days when you want a coffee.

For a moment there I thought we were back in the sixties on Brighton Sea Front. I read the title of this thread as who’s a biker? and it appeared just above the Subtle mods thread! :eek:

122C8F2F-2C64-40CF-A42C-349CF0784AB8.png

I tend to think of Beach owners as hikers who are used to tents and backpacks. We are used to carrying everything on our backs for days or weeks, and find the Beach to be an amazing luxury. We don’t miss kitchens or wardrobes because that doesn’t enter into what we are used to carrying on our backs.

exactly my words. It is ️ tent on the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with WG above, and Great White Motorhome - Caravan with steering wheel?

In my instance can only disagree.

Lake District was my adopted home for years and trecked over just about every inch of it, climbed in some of the most remote parts of the world, trecked most of the Appalachian trail, wandered down on foot to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back, backpacked all but the last few miles of the 630 mile SW Coast Path, walked lands end - John o'Groats three times and own an Ocean.

My motivation in having an ocean was to have a complete base camp / bothy / shelter / rescue hut on wheels. no messing about, no having to think about it, totally self-contained and self sufficient.
I agree with you. Fully self sufficient.

Interesting also how many Beach owners then buy kitchen units , sinks, wardrobe, fridge to accessorise their van, and how many Ocean owners don't bother using the on board kitchen ...
Yes I noticed how so many then change their usage but I think that's the nature of the beast of camper owners. They adapt to their immediate needs and aren't worried about changing the goalposts. True individuals. So what next hey?

We do a lot of running in the hills and love the Ocean. One of the best things is getting back after a particularly wet or cold event and getting changed in the warm and dry while the kettle boils.

Yes I noticed how so many then change their usage but I think that's the nature of the beast of camper owners. They adapt to their immediate needs and aren't worried about changing the goalposts. True individuals. So what next hey?

Too true.
Started off with a Beach as needed the additional seating occasionally and also wanted the bigger bed. After a bit of head scratching regarding the lack of facilities in my van I poppped down to Go Outdoors and one cadac chef/jetboil later hey presto, I can also cook and make tea In it. My problem solving knows no bounds. Don’t tell the better half though or she’ll have me hanging pictures and putting up shelves all bleeding weekend.

It's an interesting observation especially as on our longer trips we have been craving the oceans layout. As the trip gets longer, the beach shows its lack of focus. I love the fact my kitchen can come in and out, I can move furniture one day, airport run the next and be camping the next. I do still want a solution for winter camping, as the slidepod is great but obviously winter or bad weather isn't its strong point without an awning (which I tend not to use).

Although I've just started having chats with a rather skilled chap who is looking to start converting the larger overlander type vehicles, but we are having a play with ideas for a beach type internal kitchen pod too. May go nowhere but we can but see.

Back