Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who surfs?

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Campers seem to be closely linked with surf culture - does anyone here surf?

A couple of pics of recentish UK waves with me piloting the ironing board...

17435_266834087804_631517804_3977089_2497335_n.jpg

n631517804_572260_6443.jpg

Do a few triathlons, trail races (running), etc. Generally quite outdoorsy and reckon the Cali (picking up on Monday) will open even more options up - can't wait!!

Don't surf but ride mountain bikes and board occasionally.

CannellWalker said:
Don't surf but ride mountain bikes and board occasionally.

Avid MTBer too! Was out this morning in howling gales and had to climb over a few fallen trees. Night ride a fair bit too.

LEB - cheers! A bit low on bigger wave pics but they aren't too bad.

Sitting on the edge of the beach on Bondi, in Oz. Counting the days before I pick up my new Cali.

The surf's been a little flat the last few days, and am flying home to the UK tomorrow.

I surf, SUP, Sea Kayak and Mountain bike when I can.

The Cali is an expensive pram to ensure we can keep up our outdoor pursuits with a new baby on the way :)

If you fancy a diversion in your way home from picking up the new van, the Coventry Transport museum is just under half way. They have a special exhibition called "wheels and waves" which showcases "vehicles used by surfers 1950 to present". I've never been (we plan to go this weekend) but I am told the museum (which is free) is well worth a visit.

Coventry Transport Museum is excellent and if it is still free, even better! we took the kids years ago and I was amazed at how interesting it was! (not a petrol head!!)

Sounds good! I'll be a bit pushed for time but will see if I can make it!

Having visited yesterday, I wouldn't recommend a special trip if you're in a hurry. The museum has osme interesting exhibits and is worth a visit but not if you're in a hurry.

The surf vehicle exhibition was quite small but nice. The posters they had were pretty cool though. To save you a trip, some (bad!) pictures here of most of the "surf vehicles" and the posters and a few of the more interesting cars.

http://photobucket.com/wheelsandwaves

Great pics! Love that Splitty too - very tidy!

First use as a surf vehicle today - utterly brilliant.

Wife also did some work in it using a nearby cafes wifi (she bought two coffees!)

BRILLIANT!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I body board but want to learn to surf. I ended up body boarding after breaking my leg windsurfing and having a metal plate fitted. My instructions from the doctor were 'no windsurfing for at least 6 months'. It was devastating. Then I thought 'he said nothing about surfing' and I bought my first body board, a pair of fins and a new wetsuit to replace the one that was cut off me in the hospital. I used to go down the beach with my board, a single fin and my crutches, probably not that sensible.

20 years on and after spending my student years in both Exeter and Bordeaux, I'm still body boarding when I can. I dream of the day my Cali has a board on top as opposed to in the boot, I must put some time and effort into it. We love to get away to Lacanau whenever we can. There surf is just epic.

I also mountain and road bike, I'm just back from a cycling holiday through India.

What happened with your leg? Sounds grim! Dad used to be a fanatical windsurfer and got quite good. I did my school work experience at Lightwave who used to make nice boards. I learnt the basics but took to surfing more.

Had a cracking surf yesterday and a slightly wild one today. Splendid!

Had the metal plate removed 18 months after it was put in and all is fine now. I've no excuse for not surfing properly other than I live on the wrong side of the country now so always have the dilemma of spend the week learning to surf or get out there on my body board. I did have 1/2 a day surfing a few years ago and felt at the end I'd missed a great afternoon body boarding :)

Oh I also snowboard. Need to sort this year's trip.

Board and bike ... I am new to VW Cali..... looking forward to this years holidays. Malc

We use ours as a surf wagon. The other half surfs and kite surfs and I body board and am supposed to be learning to surf properly. I have to admit to being a bit of a fair weather participant but I do help him launch and land his kites and take some pictures on blustery days :)

We love it and use ours almost every weekend from April - November (depending on weather and surf). We usually head to north Devon but can occasionally be spotted in Cornwall too.

We are starting to struggle with space though because we take so much kit with us!

We both have bikes too but haven't bought a bike rack yet. I might have to get him one as his Christmas present. We've been eyeing it up for its potential as a wet suit dryer as much as a bike rack!

Yep, heading off tomorrow to France, Lacanau and then down to Biarritz

I try to surf but dont do too well, doesn't help I surf about once a year :D Love to have a go though :D

Surfing at the moment ....on the forum:headbang

My children when they were teenagers used to surf a lot ....

Then I saw some of the sites that they were surfing on ....:shocked:eek::Nailbiting:rage

BOYS!!! What is that????????