Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why do I need to tell the MFD that I've fitted Winter tyres?

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm putting Winter tyres (and wheels) on this weekend.

I've noticed that there are settings in the MFD for Winter tyres.

All I can think of is it adjusts the fuel economy settings, but this is just a guess.

Thanks

Good question !

Winter tyres have a speed rating, T = 190 kmh.
You would then set 190kmh as your max speed, if you
exceed that speed an alarm would pop up on the mdf.

Is there a Cali that reaches 190km/h ?

Set mine at 75 mph. (so the warning sits there in the background) gives me a "ping" when I reach 75mpg on the motorway and wakes me up.

error - edit -it is general speed max setting rather than winter tyres setting

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, but I do not think that the MFD setting is about resetting the max speed.

Like has been suggested, the max speed of the tyres is academic compared to what the van can actually do.

I already set a max speed warning at 65MPH only. I'm quite happy to drive somewhere between 60-65 MPH on a motorway!

As I suggested, I can only think that telling the MFD that Winter tyres are fitted can only be about resetting the economy numbers. But this is only my guess.

The MFD also has options on +5% and -5% on the winter settings. I'm assuming this is the tyre profile.

I guess it may say something in the manual that comes with the van, but mine is presently beneath all my luggage, so I'm holding off on getting all this out at the mo.

Any further thoughts?

The +/-5mph setting you mention is not an adjustment to the speedometer accuracy or tyre profile. Its to enable you to set a warning to remind you that you have lower speed rated tyres fitted (ie winter tyres).
That is all I'm afraid.
This is common MFD functionality across the VW range of vehicles, not just slow Cali's.

Many thanks

I do not think that I'll bother to reset in this case.

Tyre pressure monitoring system. You will have to reset it as the winter tyres will have a different rolling radius and that is what the system measures, not the actual pressure.

Last edited:
I'm putting Winter tyres (and wheels) on this weekend.

I've noticed that there are settings in the MFD for Winter tyres.

All I can think of is it adjusts the fuel economy settings, but this is just a guess.

Thanks

In the old days winter tyres were speed limited so you set your speed and waited for the annoying warnings.

May be a left over from th "good old days"

You do not need to reset the tyre pressure system for different tyres. The system measures the difference in the rolling circumference of the tyres, not the actual pressure. If the pressure drops the circumference changes. If all the pressures are the same in the new tyres it doesn't need restting.