Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why so little leather?

rich-s

rich-s

East Fleet Farm Touring Park - Weymouth
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have been teetering on buying a Cali for over a year now. I know we should just bite the bullet. Why are there so few about with leather seats? Current car is a Disco HSE and I would not entertain a £50k+ version with cloth. So why out of 48 Cali's on VW's used seach is there only 1 with leather. When you click on that one it is obviously an after market retrim with hemorrhage (sorry) red seats. All I want is some decent seats and then I'm in the market to buy.

I personally think the Cali should come with leather seats as standard for the price.

It would not be so bad if the fabric they currently use was any good but it's not! hence why the majority of Cali's all have seat covers.

I think your only option will be a retrim, at least that way you can have the colour/style you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess they don't have to try hard enough to sell new ones. With a constant waiting list, why up the spec? We are going round in circles between a Cali and a conversion.

There is an option for leather but I'm not sure what the extent of the leather bits are. I'm not sure I'd want a leather bed, maybe that's why people don't spec it.

To turn it round, if you're spending £50k on a Disco, shouldn't it have a sink, cooker and bed? ;)

There is an option for leather but I'm not sure what the extent of the leather bits are. I'm not sure I'd want a leather bed, maybe that's why people don't spec it.

To turn it round, if you're spending £50k on a Disco, shouldn't it have a sink, cooker and bed? ;)

Maybe you right. Perhaps that's why a lot of RIB beds are specified in leather, being as you sleep on the back of them which is usually cloth.

As for the Disco, I think it will always remain my ultimate vehicle, even if I do end up buying a Cali. The quality of finish and engineering are hard to beat. It's just that I get itchy feet and have had the Land Rover a few years now.

I know what you mean. Last few cars have had leather and you do sort of expect it at that sort of price. However on the downside I'm not sure about sleeping on leather so went with the alcantara option

Leather bed is fine. You'll put a topper on it anyway!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We "leathered" our after about 6 months... never looked back. (Over nearly 6 years)

No worries sleeping on it, surprisingly comfortable, we've got a breathable option with perforated panels in the centre sections. Also tend to have it covered with a faux fur blanket anyway when sleeping. (Never really needed a topper)

Has survived everything from jam, curry, a cider explosion! and two constantly very muddy border collies.

Less than £2k to get all seats and panels trimmed, although we got them to change the doors back to standard as I wasn't 100% happy with the finish. (Sold the old leather trimmed panels for £250!!)

Last edited:
The Cali is the only vehicle that I have not had in leather for years and like the OP I am disappointed with no leather option.

I don't like having seats covered, it makes my home look like a home when the decorators are in and you're out. All my RR's and Disco's were leather, wipe down, bit of cleaner occasionally, on we go.

I suspect, sadly, it still reflects that in VW's head the Cali is a van and not an expensive leisure vehicle.

I don't like having seats covered, it makes my home look like a home when the decorators are in and you're out.

Tend to agree, that's why I'd recommend anyone for a full leather retrim... Best modification I've done to the Cali.

Retrims in my experience (4 vehicles retrimmed) tend to be better (and cheaper) that factory leather options. Infact, the leather option on the Cali tends to be part alcantatra and vinyl for the rest.

Having had numerous vehicles with leather my personal opinion is it should stay where it started _ on the cow. I've had the cloth treated and if and when it should require it will get covers or retrim. Just my personal opinion but I found it hot in summer and cold in winter.:Nailbiting

my personal opinion is it should stay where it started _ on the cow.

Well said, Welshgas, my thoughts entirely :happy Each to their own, but I would never spec. a new vehicle with leather.

My Cali is the only non-leather car I've had in ages - it's mainly Alcantara with some leather. I really like the Alcantara and my past experience with it on a yacht suggests it is very well suited to life in a Cali.

As for the Disco, I think it will always remain my ultimate vehicle, even if I do end up buying a Cali. The quality of finish and engineering are hard to beat. It's just that I get itchy feet and have had the Land Rover a few years now.

Disco 3 was the best car I ever owned - takes whatever life throws at it! We did sleep in it a couple of times when particularly inclement and tent feeling like a bad option!

Disco 3 was also my favourite car - amazing all rounder. If only they would make one with a cooker, sink, and bed...

Disco 3 was also my favourite car - amazing all rounder. If only they would make one with a cooker, sink, and bed...

Now there's a thing.... ;)

news_662.jpg.crop_display.jpg

A Dutch friend of mine got one of these from Denmark a few years back.

A full camping interior, he used it for trekking across Iceland and later Greenland upto Baffin Bay... Proper Campering ;)

Why do you need a Defender conversion??????

I choose the half leather as the cloth on the Beach we had marked so easy from water dripping in, used to drive me made as it was very hard to clean these marks off

A lot of vehicles that are specked with leather are actually delivered to UK in cloth & then re-trimmed in leather.
As Mark says you can get leather re-trim by one of the companies that VW Bentley etc use for around £2000.

But the alcantara & leather is fitted at the factory. We have it and it is surprisingly stain resistant.

Has anyone noticed that leather has now disappeared altogether from California upholstery?

Has anyone noticed that leather has now disappeared altogether from California upholstery?

Leather was never on it. Alcantara was but, contrary to popular belief, that’s composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane and hasn’t been anywhere near a cow!

Back