Wi-Fi

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Well my iBoost router and directional aerial arrived today. Easily setup using the provide instructions. As the house overlooks our local town I pointed the aerial at the town and logged on to a free BT Fon signal, which according to the router info was 1.1km away with a poor signal/noise ratio of 85/91 and lo and behold I've been able to login and am sending this post via that connection. A little bit slower than my normal broadband connection but fine for mail and browsing. Am well impressed. :bananadance

Sounds very handy; did you install it or is it just a dongle type thing?

We use ours for work occasionally (mobile office) and better 3/4G would be handy.

motorhome wifi

Check out here. WiFi routers and 3G/4g Modem Routers.

Just be aware that connecting to public wifi services (or, ahem, private but unsecured services…) is not the most secure thing in the world.

There's plenty of advice out on the net regarding increasing the level of security. Investigate using a VPN connection if using anything that requires a password (ie. email, forums, banking). Not really required if you are just using it to look up something like local tourist information.

We use one of these from Solwise: http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-u ... -3000.html and an external antenna (http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn.html) in the van, I'm too lazy to use a directional antenna!

Works well, but find it a bit of a fiddle to set up a connection.

I had to make a work payment while in Galicia using our business bank account and their wifi. I was very nervous but did it as quick as possible - so far it's okay…!

That's the problem with the Solwise USB repeater. All it does is repeat the Public WiFi signal inside the vehicle and you're laptop/phone connects to it. So it is the same as connecting directly to the Public system.
The system from Motorhome WiFi is a fully functional wifi router that generates it's own secure WiFi zone that is WEP/WPA2 secured. The router connects to the Fon system or any secured WiFi system if you have the pass key. Only the Router is seen on the public network, but notany computing device.

The Solwise product can work in the same way. We use it to create a wireless network in the van that any of the devices can connect to (assuming they have the password - it also supports WEP/WPA/WPA2). Individual devices are not visible outside the network.

That's the safest way and ideal for surfing the web. As far as I am concerned - emails can wait until I get home. I'm on holiday!!!!!, and anyway I will be retired in 37 days so there will be NO work related web traffic. :hello

Back