Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild camping

Isabel Easson

Isabel Easson

Isa-scotland
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We are thinking about purchasing a portable generator for wild camping, does anyone use or have considered using one? If so what do you consider the best and worst generator for the purpose?
Isabel

Hi Isabel, some of the new generation "suitcase" generators are supposed to be very quiet. However with a California you have leisure batteries which can keep you operating "off the grid" for quite a few days.
Have you considered looking at solar to keep your batteries topped up?
There are a few good threads on here about it.

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/solar-panels.11381/#post-109404

I feel wild camping is about getting away from the noise and and trappings of modern life
Would you need that much power, enjoy dark sky's and the quiet of the wild. I regularly see a "motor home" near the sea where we go generator on 2 thick motor bike chains round a lamp post and generator with padlocks to stop it being nicked in the night.

We have always had enough power off grid for our overnights and by the next night all battery's fully charged after a short drive ,if I needed more would add solar power

Last edited:
I feel wild camping is about getting away from the noise and and trappings of modern life
Would you need that much power, enjoy dark sky's and the quiet of the wild. I regularly see a "motor home" near the sea where we go generator on 2 think motor bike chains round a lamp post and generator with padlocks to stop it being nicked in the night.

We have always had enough power off grid for our overnights and by the next night all battery's fully charged after a short drive ,if I needed more would add solar power

+1

In my opinion.

Wild camping + generator = wrong.

If I was wild camping and somebody arrived nearby and pulled out a generator strong words would be said.

In my opinion.

Wild camping + generator = wrong.

If I was wild camping and somebody arrived nearby and pulled out a generator strong words would be said.

This has happened to me near Shiegra just south of Cape Wrath.
Except the generator was on a 50m wire and the guys came to say they were putting the generator in the direction away from me. I had to laugh.
The device was almost silent anyway.

Many many years ago I had a short term post in Memorial Uni MedSchool in St Johns in Newfoundland and the students invited me to a bbq party miles out in the countryside. They had a large Honda generator to power the sound system that would've rivalled Mogwai's. The Silver Bullet Band was the tape of choice in those days in those parts. Excellent stuff.
That was a generator!

Solar Panels - if staying in one spot for more than 4 days. Quieter, No storage requirements, no need to carry extra fuel in vehicle. No regular service requirements.

Thank you for your answers, we will take them onboard. Solar seems to be the way forward.

Thank you for your answers, we will take them onboard. Solar seems to be the way forward.
Unless you are planning to stay in one place for more than 5 days I think you will find the batteries will suffice. In winter we have used heater for three days on batteries only with no problems.

Ive got solar on my other van, its wonderful. I could never use all the power it could generate on a sunny day even charging several devices all at once, in fact even on a cloudy day it will be topping up the batteries. Generator isn't really needed unless you want to power something a bit more hefty but silent one would be best bet to avoid complaints from other campers. I've never had to pay for hookup on that van since.

The only downside of course is fitting it, either not the roof, or you can get foldable case type ones you can set out. The advantage of the latter is you can position them to get the maximum sun and thus maximum power for the conditions.

Get something 120-150w range and you should be in a position to run even a 12v compressor fridge indefinitely. Probably also be cheaper than the equivalent silent genny.

I would like to see some figures for solar because off grid in anything less than a full sunny day and it's not going to keep you operating for much longer than you can anyway. Winter (Sept to April :rolleyes:), forget it.
For that much off grid, you need to think more carefully. The cheapest way is to factor in some driving, a three-daily hook up boost, or extra batteries. It's heating, fridge, assisted doors, roof, and water pump that will do the damage, so do without those, and you can probably use portable lighting and stay off grid for a month or so until your gas runs out.
It's called "camping" :Grin
Has anyone got any figures for topping up power from an engine on tickover?

We are thinking about purchasing a portable generator for wild camping, does anyone use or have considered using one? If so what do you consider the best and worst generator for the purpose?
Isabel

I think that I need a portable generator to recharge my eMTB after a day riding (requires about 500W at 240V for several hours) so what advice please ?

I would like to see some figures for solar because off grid in anything less than a full sunny day and it's not going to keep you operating for much longer than you can anyway. Winter (Sept to April :rolleyes:), forget it.
We have a 120 Wp daylight panel, now 8 years old. We do a lot of off grid camping and are very happy with our solar setup. E.g. last Nov we had somewhat overcast weather, a bit of rain even, but had no issue standing 5 nights without hook up, using fridge all the time and parking heater and interior lighting at night.

I think that I need a portable generator to recharge my eMTB after a day riding (requires about 500W at 240V for several hours) so what advice please ?
Most people who wild camp try to operate in stealth mode, even the quietest Honda generators are relatively noisy/smelly and are not exactly small. 200 watts of roof solar generation would seem to offer a better solution, certainly in the summer.

If you really do need a genny for some reason, you can't beat the Honda EU10i (1 kVA). They've been around for years and AFAIK are still the best.

(But don't EVER overfill them with oil or you will break them - piston slap).

Resurrecting this thread, and ignoring the discussion about the demise of petrol/diesel, I wanted to find out if anyone here actually has a portable generator that they use with their Cali.
I am thinking of getting one as a back-up only when wild camping, to recharge my laptop (which the 300w build-in inverter cannot come with), and to ease my mind when the sun doesn't shine on my solar panels. Hopefully, like with my 4wd + diff lock, I will never have to use it. It is just for peace of mind, which is something I need a lot of at the moment.
What I can't work out is quite simple - where to keep it. The Honda, and even more so the Hyundai, are just a little too tall to put under the rear shel of my T6.1 Ocean. I measure the available height to be around 35cm, but the Honda is 38cm high, and the Hyundai, which I'd prefer for cost reasons, is 40.5cm.
So, neither will fit with the rear shelf flat down.
If anyone has one of these, where do they store it while travelling? Also, when camping, where does it then go?I wouldn't want to go to sleep with 2 litres of petrol a foot from my head!

I am thinking of getting one as a back-up only when wild camping, to recharge my laptop (which the 300w build-in inverter cannot come with)
Would it not be cheaper to just buy a spare laptop the inverter will cope with rather than a generator.

Resurrecting this thread, and ignoring the discussion about the demise of petrol/diesel, I wanted to find out if anyone here actually has a portable generator that they use with their Cali.
I am thinking of getting one as a back-up only when wild camping, to recharge my laptop (which the 300w build-in inverter cannot come with), and to ease my mind when the sun doesn't shine on my solar panels. Hopefully, like with my 4wd + diff lock, I will never have to use it. It is just for peace of mind, which is something I need a lot of at the moment.
What I can't work out is quite simple - where to keep it. The Honda, and even more so the Hyundai, are just a little too tall to put under the rear shel of my T6.1 Ocean. I measure the available height to be around 35cm, but the Honda is 38cm high, and the Hyundai, which I'd prefer for cost reasons, is 40.5cm.
If anyone has one of these, where do they store it while travelling? Also, when camping, where does it then go?I wouldn't want to go to sleep with 2 litres of petrol a foot from my head!
@wilburthewombat is your bed in the high position? I doubt. In the high position, you have 41 cms of clearance and the Honda EU10i fits in perfectly. The Hyundai should also fit in perfectly.

The Honda is the best one out there for a reason. Slightly expensive but lasts a lifetime and remains quiet over its lifetime. The Hyundai will also do the job well.

When travelling, in the van. No smell whatsoever. Use a cover/bag specifically built for the genset if required.

When running, leave chained to the nearside wheel and plugged into the outside socket.

For back up power, I'd personally prefer to travel with something like this. Interesting?

I have the Honda EU10i, I keep it on it’s side in the boot. Keep the side with the stater handle facing upwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the laptop is the main concern, invest in a decent powerbank. They make quality ones nowadays for around 90 pounds, that will charge you entire laptop twice. You could also buy a second battery for your laptop. Or do both.

If the laptop is the main concern, invest in a decent powerbank. They make quality ones nowadays for around 90 pounds, that will charge you entire laptop twice. You could also buy a second battery for your laptop. Or do both.
a hard wired bigger inverter.

Last edited:
I would change the laptop for one that charges via usb-c and then you can use a 12v charger and will not need to use the inverter, let alone a generator