Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

wild camping

parrot2

parrot2

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I know wild camping in England is illegal so how do all the lorry drivers get away with parking in layby's overnight? On a late night trip on the a31 most layby's had at least one lorry parked up. They surely cant have toilet facilities in them.

I know wild camping in England is illegal so how do all the lorry drivers get away with parking in layby's overnight? On a late night trip on the a31 most layby's had at least one lorry parked up. They surely cant have toilet facilities in them.
Generally I have found the layby is the toilet.:Depressed

Generally I have found the layby is the toilet.:Depressed
Agree, my daily cycle to work used to take me through a layby, used for overnight stopovers, it was pretty rank in the summer! It was never a good idea to cycle through the puddles.

Several lay-bys on the A3 towards Portsmouth ferry port are no-go areas as the verge is full of human faeces, it is really quite disgusting. I do know it is also very common for truck drivers to dump in a carrier bag.

Wild camping isn't an offence in England (there's no statute against it) but you may be trespassing (a civil law matter) if you do it without the landowner's permission.

Sleeping in a lorry, car, campervan etc (regardless of whether you call it 'camping') is subject to the same civil laws of trespass, if you're talking about private land. It might be tolerated, it might not - it's up to the landowner

On a piece of land forming part of the public highway (eg a layby, I guess) then you're going to be subject to general road use/parking laws, and then whether the police decide to enforce them. Generally, someone parking quietly overnight and not causing an obstruction ornuisance isn't going to raise their concerns.

For a commercial vehicle they probably couldn't move the driver on anyway if the driver has to take their break under driving hours regs.

I think sleeping in any verhicle is allowed everywhere due to your need to sleep to travel safe ....
Camping is not allowed everywhere , camping is slightly diffrent from spending the night just to sleep and head further.

Regarding lorrydrivers and toilets....ever noticed lots of botles limonade beside the roads ....specialy on highway exits....
Only "used" limonade in those...:Depressed

We live in a main road and often need to collect rubbish from passing motorist. Twice in the past year we have had carrier bags thrown from vehicles into our garden with human poo in them.

Surely if we can find for a toilet solution in a T5/6 van they must be able to in a lorry?? If its big enough to sleep in then a bog in a bag or all the other solutions are available. Just sheer laziness and lack of consideration.

I’ve been a truck driver for 44 years throughout Europe and North Africa and always managed to find facilities EXCEPT in UK!

We don't need to defecate in the UK, restraint is imbued first by nanny and then through the public school system. Stiff upper lip.
:Grin

I saw a post on a wild camping forum today where a woman was most upset to have been told off by people for lighting a fire and overnighting in the New Forest. I don't think she will be doing it again.

If you want to wild camp the best thing is to join one or more of the many wild camping groups on Facebook where people share information.

I saw a post on a wild camping forum today where a woman was most upset to have been told off by people for lighting a fire and overnighting in the New Forest. I don't think she will be doing it again.
Where was that? :)

Wild camping isn't an offence in England (there's no statute against it) but you may be trespassing (a civil law matter) if you do it without the landowner's permission.

Sleeping in a lorry, car, campervan etc (regardless of whether you call it 'camping') is subject to the same civil laws of trespass, if you're talking about private land. It might be tolerated, it might not - it's up to the landowner

On a piece of land forming part of the public highway (eg a layby, I guess) then you're going to be subject to general road use/parking laws, and then whether the police decide to enforce them. Generally, someone parking quietly overnight and not causing an obstruction ornuisance isn't going to raise their concerns.

For a commercial vehicle they probably couldn't move the driver on anyway if the driver has to take their break under driving hours regs.
They can move a lorry driver on but would have to give an official document, stating date and times, showing that the break in the drivers rest was authorised by them, the Police. Would have to be a serious reason.

Lorry drivers are allowed to take their statutory rest periods during the working day or overnight break in the cabs. This is required by UK RT legislation and EC regs. f they park in a lay-by (let's not get started but it's part of the highway and therefore part of the road), they must abide by the law in relation to lights etc. Most long-distance lorry drivers are very professional and use rest stops; it's just the few who mess by the road. After all who hasn't let their kid out for a wee by the road. The Police can move them on very easily if there is a legal need to do so, paperwork isn't required but they will probably make an entry on the digital tacho to cover the driver.
Having said all that, they are working and usually get going about 4am so parking near their diesel exhaust isn't for us Cali holidaymakers.
To be perfectly honest in the current climate of public funding cuts here in the UK, take it from me that there aren't enough cops to bother you wherever you park - the few that are out and about have too much to do - and the one's that would speak with you are probably just responding to a local residents complaint, are are as embarrassed as you are to ask you to move.