Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Camping

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all.

I bought my Cali for spontaneity so we could take off at a moments notice and either find a site or wild camp. I am not great at planning, probably due to a medical diagnosis 15 years ago when I thought I had a short time left on this planet and now can't really look further than a week or two into the future for fear of things going wrong (stupid I know)

Do we think we will be able to wild camp this year or is that going to be way into the future. I fear sites will be packed well into September, if and when they open which renders our van pretty much useless and then a decision on its future will have to be made or am I wrong?

Thanks
K

I’m with you. My main purpose in having a Cali is the ability to be spontaneous. I don’t won’t to have to organise everything and book in advance. There are times when that’s fine but I crave for the ability to wing it, however that may be.

Mike

I can see no reason why we won't be able to 'wild camp' any more or less than we did before, once the government has lifted the 'no overnight stays' restriction which I believe they will by maybe around end July to allow the hospitality sector to start up again. There's no Covid implication of someone parking up overnight in a quiet spot.

(Obviously by 'wild camping' in a Cali, we really mean using informal night stops, which may or not be with the landowner's permission or in strict compliance with parking notice boards, etc and I'm not trying to get into a debate on that. We can only hope everyone will act with consideration and respect although inevitably some won't, as before.)

Even later this year, residents of the popular rural destinations may not be very happy to see large numbers of MHs and campervans, for all kinds of reasons, but that's a different issue.

I can see no reason why we won't be able to 'wild camp' any more or less than we did before, once the government has lifted the 'no overnight stays' restriction which I believe they will by maybe around end July to allow the hospitality sector to start up again. There's no Covid implication of someone parking up overnight in a quiet spot.

(Obviously by 'wild camping' in a Cali, we really mean using informal night stops, which may or not be with the landowner's permission or in strict compliance with parking notice boards, etc and I'm not trying to get into a debate on that. We can only hope everyone will act with consideration and respect although inevitably some won't, as before.)

Even later this year, residents of the popular rural destinations may not be very happy to see large numbers of MHs and campervans, for all kinds of reasons, but that's a different issue.
Hi VD, local consideration was another thought as well, probably going to avoid Cornwall this summer as I suspect it will be packed. Thinking of Cumbria instead.

Some of the most enjoyable adventures we have had have been where we have just decided to go somewhere at the drop of a hat and have stealth camped enroute. Booking a campsite for us is usually done whilst driving although I should add by the one that isn't actually doing the driving i.e Mrs B. We usually take pot luck. If we cannot get in we either go elsewhere or stealth camp again.
It's that spontaneity that makes it enjoyable. The thought of booking a campsite weeks or months in advance not knowing what the weather is going to be doing wouldn't appeal to us at all.

So with the likelihood of most campsites being fully booked this summer I somehow doubt if we will be going that far from home for the foreseeable future.

Aires in the UK would be the answer for me.

There are two council car parks near me where staying overnight is encouraged and they’re very popular and cause no issues.

I’m not holding my breath.

Mike

Hi VD, local consideration was another thought as well, probably going to avoid Cornwall this summer as I suspect it will be packed. Thinking of Cumbria instead.

I think you may be sorely disappointed of you think the Lakes will be less rammed than Cornwall. Have you thought of some of the even slightly less-visited areas, like Pembrokeshire (stunning beaches), or the less iconic parts of the Dales, Northumberland, or pretty much anywhere in Scotland apart from Skye?

I think you may be sorely disappointed of you think the Lakes will be less rammed than Cornwall. Have you thought of some of the even slightly less-visited areas, like Pembrokeshire (stunning beaches), or the less iconic parts of the Dales, Northumberland, or pretty much anywhere in Scotland apart from Skye?
I'd thought of Pembrokeshire and the top of Cumbria on the Solway Firth. I wont be going near the lakes except for work as its part of my patch. Northumberland and Scotland could be a good shout but not the NC 500 unfortunately.

I suspect we will see nearer the time.

Some of the most enjoyable adventures we have had have been where we have just decided to go somewhere at the drop of a hat and have stealth camped enroute. Booking a campsite for us is usually done whilst driving although I should add by the one that isn't actually doing the driving i.e Mrs B. We usually take pot luck. If we cannot get in we either go elsewhere or stealth camp again.
It's that spontaneity that makes it enjoyable. The thought of booking a campsite weeks or months in advance not knowing what the weather is going to be doing wouldn't appeal to us at all.

So with the likelihood of most campsites being fully booked this summer I somehow doubt if we will be going that far from home for the foreseeable future.

I completely agree. In my travelling life, I have only ever booked somewhere in advance twice and they were CLs in the UK. It's different when you're retired, but the ability to do as you please is the main attraction for me. A couple of years ago when I was collecting my motor home from storage, I met a fellow camper who asked me where I was headed. "Greece" I replied. He looked startled, obviously a step too far for him. "How do you get there?" he asked. "I turn right when I come off the shuttle". He didn't get it, but I do concede, it takes all sorts, we are a very diverse community.

Originating in a part of the U.K. that is one of the most attractive, I have a collection of friends with land who are happy to allow a camper to stay a couple of days (or longer), so not really worried about getting away later in the year.

I completely agree. In my travelling life, I have only ever booked somewhere in advance twice and they were CLs in the UK. It's different when you're retired, but the ability to do as you please is the main attraction for me. A couple of years ago when I was collecting my motor home from storage, I met a fellow camper who asked me where I was headed. "Greece" I replied. He looked startled, obviously a step too far for him. "How do you get there?" he asked. "I turn right when I come off the shuttle". He didn't get it, but I do concede, it takes all sorts, we are a very diverse community.
Yes we have no issue with just uping and going, holidays from work permitting. When we bought the Cali last September I booked it onto the dover Calais ferry and we went as far south as Napoli, nothing else booked and had a fantastic time. Never had an issue finding sites but chose to stay on services some nights.

Since we got mobile phone and internet, spontaneous travel seems to be getting more difficult, which is kind of ironic.

I think that Cumbria will be just as packed as Cornwall.

If convinced a staycation is the only viable option, try one of the lesser visited regions - The Galloway Hills, for example, or the Rhinogydd in North Wales.

...I met a fellow camper who asked me where I was headed. "Greece" I replied. He looked startled, obviously a step too far for him. "How do you get there?" he asked. "I turn right when I come off the shuttle". ...

Same for us. On one trip we were aiming for the Dolomites in northern Italy when we got off the Shuttle but as the weather forecasts shifted we ended up in the (sunny) Czech Republic.

Same for us. On one trip we were aiming for the Dolomites in northern Italy when we got off the Shuttle but as the weather forecasts shifted we ended up in the (sunny) Czech Republic.
Always chase the weather. We drove past Pisa last year because it was raining profusely.

I’m worried that off-site, off-grid locations will get even more abuse than they do now in the UK and local communities and councils will start to shut down even more. These are going to be trying times for us serious campervanners/campers.

I’m worried that off-site, off-grid locations will get even more abuse than they do now in the UK and local communities and councils will start to shut down even more. These are going to be trying times for us serious campervanners/campers.

Go to mainland Europe, you will get no such petty problems. In fact you will be welcomed.

Last edited:
I sense a sea change.

In the beginning everyone was sh!t scared of the plague. They closed their doors and said "eff off those from foreign places like Birmingham:....

Then the plague receded, alongside all the tourist dosh.

Now, with currently one in 1.700 likely to be carrying the plague but still carrying dosh they are saying "please, welcome ..... as long as you wash your hands, and your money of course"...

Human nature. Not just the brits. everywhere.

Agreed Elly. I suppose that's one of the reasons I posted this question.

I sense a sea change.

In the beginning everyone was sh!t scared of the plague. They closed their doors and said "eff off those from foreign places like Birmingham:....

Then the plague receded, alongside all the tourist dosh.

Now, with currently one in 1.700 likely to be carrying the plague but still carrying dosh they are saying "please, welcome ..... as long as you wash your hands, and your money of course"...

Human nature. Not just the brits. everywhere.
Jen you make me giggle and as ever succinct and to the point.

Ive booked a campsite twice in my lifetime. Both times it rained cats and dogs and the last occasion the winds were in excess of 60mph.
I will never pre-book a campsite again...!!!

Ive booked a campsite twice in my lifetime. Both times it rained cats and dogs and the last occasion the winds were in excess of 60mph.
I will never pre-book a campsite again...!!!

Yep same for us. Worst two oddly we’re Cali meets. Snowed in once and then nearly blown off the campsite.
Follow the weather whenever you can has worked for us and that means no booking unless absolutely necessary.
Best was in Southern Spain and it was out of the City and head to the mountains to avoid some blistering heat.

Mike

Yep same for us. Worst two oddly we’re Cali meets. Snowed in once and then nearly blown off the campsite.
Follow the weather whenever you can has worked for us and that means no booking unless absolutely necessary.
Best was in Southern Spain and it was out of the City and head to the mountains to avoid some blistering heat.

Mike
We are hoping for Spain in September but waiting to see how things pan out.

We are hoping for Spain in September but waiting to see how things pan out.

We wild camped in Spain & Portugal.

Moved once in Portugal from a lovely spot as the local police were a bit active and found a stunning spot by a beach.

Loved Spain, basically started in the North and went down the centre West of Madrid, hang a right and back up through Portugal. Best holiday ever.

Mike

Last edited:
Back