GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Oh dear :oops:

Granny does it again....

I posted this in the wrong place, moved it to the right place, now find the original has had two replies so reposting this here ... because a terribly nice admin person can advise?

Anyway ...

Prompted by a thread elsewhere that was neatly hijacked, a thread to discuss all aspects of wild camping.

In this, for reasons I will mention later, I personally in my mind also think "permissive camping", those places where you have permission to pull over on private property, stop for the night free of charge, often in the hope of the owner reciprocally getting some business. I am thinking particularly of Britstops, Passion, pubstopovers etc.

I have to confess to loving this aspect of camping. For me it justifies everything the California is made for, a serious, go anywhere - stop anywhere vehicle that makes travel and exploring as fun, comfortable and spontaneous as it gets. For me also a minor, but significant, point: 9 nights in Scotland cost me a total of £20 in camping fees :oops:

Coming out of the other thread there were two major issues: Legality and safety.

Legally, and I am not a lawyer, I believe it is pretty safe to stop anywhere that is not signed as private, has a bye law prohibiting overnight stops or does not infringe traffic regulations. Scotland is clearer cut with a right to access, continental Europe with it's extensive network of Aires make it even easier, France almost hijacks you to stop overnight.

Safety is a big issue and as a single woman often travelling alone a major concern for me. There is very little difference between permissive and wild. Stopping on an empty pub carpark adjacent to, and visible from, a road is no difference to hunkering down in a deserted lay-by. My rationale is that a locked Cali is just as safe as my locked home, I have a phone (and never camp where I cannot get a signal), a loud horn and lights to attract attention and an engine powering a 3 ton vehicle if I need to get away. For that last reason I only use internal screens when camping wild so I do not need to leave the vehicle to move off.

In practice I have never had a problem and am often surprised to wake up and find that I have neighbours, either other campers, or, in Scotland last week, deer happily grazing watched over by a couple of pine martins sat on a tree branch. However, going to bed on the Mull of Kintyre having watched the sun setting over a distant Ireland, or waking up to a sunrise over Loch Tay is a total, total joy.

So, a few discussion points

Last edited:
Hi Jen

I live in France and I have never encountered any problems stopping - so many people here have 'camping cars' that no one blinks an eye if you stop. In addition nearly every town has a service area where you can empty the toilet and waste water, and fill up with fresh. I have just come back from Spain, and while not quite as frequent as France, I managed to find similar facilities when needed.

Do such facilities exist in the UK? I have not been back there for nearly twenty years.

As for you Jen , hats off , for going out on your own and wildcamp , not only for safety resons but also being allone to drive,navigate,...all the time

Wildcamping for me is a "dirty" word , it sounds like doin something illigal.
But it is a fact that sleeping in your Cali is much more special in unusual places.
When i was in the UK last year for COTF i saw many lovely places to park the cali but in a foriegn contry it is not as easy to make that decision .
In France you have nearly in every town a camperspot or aire.
Many places ar used by campers that are not camperplaces but as long there are no complains or anything it wil go well .
In Belgium it it not so easy , for instance on the (small) coastline in Belgium there ar just a few towns where you are "welcome" as camper . No parking allowed in town only parking lots, you must go to a campsite!

In Belgium it it not so easy , for instance on the (small) coastline in Belgium there ar just a few towns where you are "welcome" as camper . No parking allowed in town only parking lots, you must go to a campsite!

Is Leopold3laan in Ypres official or unofficial?

I stopped there for the 1914 anniversary, in fact I always stop there when visiting Ypres. Always lots of MH's parked, never had a problem, but no sign saying it is "official".

Opposite the footbridge into the town centre, 5 minutes walk from the Menin gate, it is a prime zone.

Hi Jen

I live in France and I have never encountered any problems stopping - so many people here have 'camping cars' that no one blinks an eye if you stop. In addition nearly every town has a service area where you can empty the toilet and waste water, and fill up with fresh. I have just come back from Spain, and while not quite as frequent as France, I managed to find similar facilities when needed.

Do such facilities exist in the UK? I have not been back there for nearly twenty years.

I always use Aires in France. Why pay?

However in Ardres I was stopping to buy some wine and asked the wine merchant, just off the town square, would anyone mind me stopping the night ...

He marched me out of the shop, took me to the square, showed me the "nicest and quietest" spot, showed me the bars and restaurants he recommends and almost insisted that I do not go on to Calais but stop the night in his "beautiful little town" first.

So now I always do. 7 miles from Calais and a gorgeous little oasis.

The UK has "Britstops", similar to French Passion, and the next edition will have possibly 800 locations.

Is Leopold3laan in Ypres official or unofficial?

I stopped there for the 1914 anniversary, in fact I always stop there when visiting Ypres. Always lots of MH's parked, never had a problem, but no sign saying it is "official".

Opposite the footbridge into the town centre, 5 minutes walk from the Menin gate, it is a prime zone.

I used the official campsite in Ypres last year , is about 500 m further away from where you stayed and has facilities (shower,...)
That place you used is the alternative becose the official site is nearly always full due to the reservations , specialy now with all the war- remembrance.
If you ever vistit the region again , there is in Diksmuide at the " ijzer-toren" ( dont know the translation of that monument)the possibility to use the free parking overnight , we where there all alone for three nights , but next to a railroad ( it was ok not to many trains at night)
You can vistit Diksmuide by foot and a few WW sites nearby.

Thank you, I like Diksmuide very much.

I sometimes stop in Kemmel when I need a shower :oops:

The campsite is less crowded and the restaurants not so "tourist" orientated.

Wild camping has a great appeal to me as well and as a solo traveller
I find generally the locals are only to pleased to give you a smile especially if passing buy the van when the aroma of a lovely pasta dish is on the go :)
When I first started out with my cali I joined both the camping clubs,which is great for family's and people that are looking for added security, as you say Jen the cali is well suited to this way of travel.
Should I need the luxury of a hot soak or hookup or to recharge batteries then there's the option of a campsite.
That's it wheres the keys Marilyn ? I'm off........

I would also add to the bit about safety park in such away as you can drive straight off forwards with out getting blocked in.

I would also add to the bit about safety park in such away as you can drive straight off forwards with out getting blocked in.
Sure Meoncoast.
That's what I like with the bellows bungee helps to vacate a location sooner than later,also if I'm not 90% with a stopover I'll sleep in the lounge :stig

what are your experiences in wild camping in Europe.
in which countries it is tolerated and where it is better not to do it ?

I think that a VW california is not so noticeable like other big motorhomes, from the outside it looks like an ordinary van.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use Aires in France. Why pay?

However in Ardres I was stopping to buy some wine and asked the wine merchant, just off the town square, would anyone mind me stopping the night ...

He marched me out of the shop, took me to the square, showed me the "nicest and quietest" spot, showed me the bars and restaurants he recommends and almost insisted that I do not go on to Calais but stop the night in his "beautiful little town" first.

So now I always do. 7 miles from Calais and a gorgeous little oasis.

The UK has "Britstops", similar to French Passion, and the next edition will have possibly 800 locations.
Reminds me to return to France for a long tour after Easter, I love the whole easy going attitude and obvious pride the locals have in their towns and villages.

what are your experiences in wild camping in Europe.
in which countries it is tolerated and where it is better not to do it ?

I think that a VW california is not so noticeable like other big motorhomes, from the outside it looks like an ordinary van.
Spent hundreds of nights wild camping all over France and Italy without ever having a problem. Have given up going to Germany and Switzerland as everything there is verboten!

In response to your question on Halkidiki - I've answered on your other post but couldn't upload this map there.
Halkidiki.jpg

I agree with Skewif that Switzerland seems not so easy to ''wild" camp generally, but we've found that on some of the high pass roads there are areas at the tops of passes where overnight parking is well tolerated. But consequently you will have company, it won't be a solitary experience. Still, the views make it worth it .

I agree with Skewif that Switzerland seems not so easy to ''wild" camp generally, but we've found that on some of the high pass roads there are areas at the tops of passes where overnight parking is well tolerated. But consequently you will have company, it won't be a solitary experience. Still, the views make it worth it .

Passes are a good idea. I guess Switzerland is a small country with lots of Californias, motorhomes and vans so chances are high that you always have some company. Sometimes it is possible to stay next to a pub/restaurant: just ask. Or on a parking where it is allowed to park overnight and not strictly forbidden to sleep in your car.
Caliboard is a great source to find some wild spots in Germany/Austria and Switzerland.