Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Will two folding bikes fit in the boot?

.Billy Ocean.

.Billy Ocean.

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Evening all,

We’re not due to pick up our T6.1 Ocean for a few months, but we’re trying to get everything in place for its arrival.

We’re looking at a couple of folding bikes (20” wheels) and we’d like to know if they’d fit in the boot space of the van when the bed is down. The folded size of each bike is L:750, W:350mm, H:650mm. If anyone has experience of fitting two bikes in, it would be great to hear from you please.

(I couldn’t see the internal size of the boot space on the VW website and I’ve had a look around this forum, but all the pictures seem to relate to the very nice Brompton bikes with their 16” wheels).

With those dimensions....easily!!

You will need to pull the rear bench forward a little to fit them in. Also fold up and secure the rear bed frame if you are planning to use the bed.

The mattress can go behind the rear bench and will provide some protection to the seat and bikes. I recommend getting a bag for the mattress if you are carrying it.

Hi, I have a new T 6.1 and also happen to run an ebike business. We sell a wide range of folding bikes, often to camper van owners and have therefore tested most of them in our van. In our experience you will only get one bike in under the bed with it down, and with most folding bikes the bed will not go fully flat. I have some recommendations for bikes that will fit, but another thing to consider is the wheel size. 16 inch bikes are more compact and you may have more luck with those.

If you can perhaps have the bed backrest tilted up on the latches while moving and then relocate the bikes to the front footwells when parked up that may work also.

So the issue is not the length of the bike so much as the width when folded which interferes with the bed in its fully flat position. Lots of bikes are not quite narrow enough

Thanks @Alan Andrews and @Californiabiker :thumb Thinking about it, “normal” bikes would be stored outside, so the folding ones can be too if they don’t fit (seems obvious I know but it’s been one of those weeks :headbang)

Put them on the bike rack when travelling & sleeping; Just bring them into the cabin folded & pull the blinds down if have to leave them unattended.

Can recommend below, it has 22" wheels but still fits the rack on the train!:

Evening all,

We’re not due to pick up our T6.1 Ocean for a few months, but we’re trying to get everything in place for its arrival.

We’re looking at a couple of folding bikes (20” wheels) and we’d like to know if they’d fit in the boot space of the van when the bed is down. The folded size of each bike is L:750, W:350mm, H:650mm. If anyone has experience of fitting two bikes in, it would be great to hear from you please.

(I couldn’t see the internal size of the boot space on the VW website and I’ve had a look around this forum, but all the pictures seem to relate to the very nice Brompton bikes with their 16” wheels).
Dear Buzz61,
Having just measured the boot space in a new California Coast to see if a compostible toilet would fit, I found that the usable space* is as follows:
Width 100cm
Depth 70cm
Height 33cm
*(height is up to 0.35m in places but some parts of the underside of the bed extension protrude downwards),
Yours, Paul

Dear Buzz61
We have two folding Brompton bikes and find that only one will fit under the bed when pulled out. We put the other one on the drivers seat (in its bag )when sleeping as we do not turn this seat around due to the faff with handbrake etc.
Kind regards
Wendy

Dear Buzz61
We have two folding Brompton bikes and find that only one will fit under the bed when pulled out. We put the other one on the drivers seat (in its bag )when sleeping as we do not turn this seat around due to the faff with handbrake etc.
Kind regards
Wendy

Evening all,

Hi
I have two heavy and bulky Tern Vektron 20" folding bikes, and constructed a plywood framework that accommodates both bikes on the slide out boot drawer. I specifically mention the boot drawer because it makes loading and unloading both easier and safer, as well as protecting bikes and Cali from damage. I had posted elsewhere photos of my arrangement, but if you are interested message me and I will send to you.
Best of luck

Thanks everyone, we really appreciate your input and it’s great to have the actual boot dimensions.

We’ve gone ahead and picked up two “normal” folding bikes (not Brompton) and the folded size is massive… they seem much bigger than the measurements online suggest :rolleyes: Nice bikes though and we’re looking forward to using them. We’ll just have to worry about how they’ll fit when the van arrives. We’ve been trying to contact our dealer all week to see about adding a tow bar to the order for future bike racks… by the time he finds out I think the van will already have been delivered :headbang