Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind-out awning letting rain through next to the van roof

ejmoore

ejmoore

2016 California Ocean 2.0 TDI
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have recently had a cassette awning fitted, but when I rolled it out in the rain, I found that rainwater was coming through between the cassette and the roof edge, because while the cassette is straight, the roof edge is slightly curved and there's a small gap right above the sliding window.

Should there be some kind of seal? The awning was fitted by SMG Cowfold, but perhaps they've missed something off.

Is it possible to retro-fit something, or will I have to take it back to SMG?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks guys - sounds like something's missing, I'll get in touch with SMG.

Should be a rubber strip between the roof rail and the awning WP_20170623_19_03_04_Pro.jpg

Silver lining: you're not currently collecting as many leaves, twigs & pine needles ...

Ok - got up high enough to look at the top of the awning cassette yesterday. We found that there is a rain seal, but it just wasn't properly fitted: rather wavy and with a big pucker in it where the water was coming through. Managed to tuck it all into place properly, although it still doesn't seem to fit all that well as the curve in the roof means it doesn't tuck under the cassette towards the back (as illustrated on gear-box-oil's photo above).

Anyway, hopefully this should now keep the rain out - thanks for your helpful advice, everybody!

ps we seem to have plenty of tree debris up there anyway!

Interestingly I noticed the same thing this evening when I was trying out my new Comfortz awning sides. Sod's law it drips right onto the middle of the step when the door is open. I'll take a look at mine to check for rubber strip. Awning was fitted when the vehicle was ordered, last July.

PS Awning sides seem great! Pricey but well made.

Simon.

Back