Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out awning opening when driving?!?

CALI-J

CALI-J

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi all

Just back from Fort William after 3 days snowboarding, stayed at the glencoe car park last night where it reached minus 7 (nice and cosy)!!

Anyway after a long 4 hour drive back to Aberdeen today I arrived home to find my awning had opened by itself, by about 1 foot. I closed the awning and then later went to the shops and back and noticed that it started opening up again, not by 1 foot but enough for the lip cover to become loose.

Anybody ever had this happen to them and any suggestions to what has caused this to happen, Cold temperature maybe?

Maybe the awning is trying to tell you something , that he would prefer to roll out in the sun instead of going to the cold&snow :D

Seroius , don't think i'v seen it mentiont here but i would roll it out and do a check of the mecanism ....check/thigten some bolts if needed .
In the meantime put a strap arround it to secure it.

hi all

Just back from Fort William after 3 days snowboarding, stayed at the glencoe car park last night where it reached minus 7 (nice and cosy)!!

Anyway after a long 4 hour drive back to Aberdeen today I arrived home to find my awning had opened by itself, by about 1 foot. I closed the awning and then later went to the shops and back and noticed that it started opening up again, not by 1 foot but enough for the lip cover to become loose.

Anybody ever had this happen to them and any suggestions to what has caused this to happen, Cold temperature maybe?
As @hotel california has said, BUT if you are in Warranty then at least report to the Dealer and get it logged.
It could be the gearbox has stripped some teeth.

Spooky... mine did that on the way back from Glencoe on 30 Dec! Only a few inches but I did only have it extended by a foot or so in the carpark to provide some shelter over the door as it was snowing after our hillwalk.

I wondered if there had been a bit of snow build up on it when I rolled it away (didn't check beforehand as it was really sleaty and I thought it would just be wet). Mine has been driven over 800 miles since with no repeat and the awning appears fine.

I have eBay velcro straps around mine front & back.

hi all

Spooky... mine did that on the way back from Glencoe on 30 Dec! Only a few inches but I did only have it extended by a foot or so in the carpark to provide some shelter over the door as it was snowing after our hillwalk.

I wondered if there had been a bit of snow build up on it when I rolled it away (didn't check beforehand as it was really sleaty and I thought it would just be wet). Mine has been driven over 800 miles since with no repeat and the awning appears fine.

We had something similar happen on the Factory tour last easter. It snowed just before we packed up to drive to the factory.
First time we tried to roll the awning up we couldn't because whilst we thought we had cleared the snow off the top we hadn't done it well enough. Cleared it again and it appeared to roll up fine.
Short drive to the factory on the other side of Hanover and the awning was about 9" open. We just wound it back up, I think it worked a little loose on the return to the campsite, but once back on the campsite the awning was wound out fully for a day or so.
We have had no problems with it working its way open since then.

I would be tempted to suggest winding it fully out then back in.

Do you have a fiamma awning by any chance? I find the rear of the awning will loosen slightly but not come out, just enough to make it rattle slightly. I find it just needs the occasional wind out and retightening to stop it.

Last edited:
Why? Shouldn’t need it. After 60,000 + Miles, when my Awning is shut it stays shut.
If it doesn’t then it is faulty.

I prefer belt & braces. There’s a lot of heavy & expensive gear there banging around at a mile & half a minute.

£3 once & 10-seconds occasionally feels like a sensible precaution. YMMV.

I prefer belt & braces. There’s a lot of heavy & expensive gear there banging around at a mile & half a minute.

£3 once & 10-seconds occasionally feels like a sensible precaution. YMMV.
Agree, but unlike some makes of Awning, Omnistor/Thule do not sell, neither do 3rd parties a lock for the awning. So I still contend if it happens then there is a fault either with the awning mechanism or the operator not operating it correctly.

We had something similar happen on the Factory tour last easter. It snowed just before we packed up to drive to the factory.
First time we tried to roll the awning up we couldn't because whilst we thought we had cleared the snow off the top we hadn't done it well enough. Cleared it again and it appeared to roll up fine.
Short drive to the factory on the other side of Hanover and the awning was about 9" open. We just wound it back up, I think it worked a little loose on the return to the campsite, but once back on the campsite the awning was wound out fully for a day or so.
We have had no problems with it working its way open since then.

I would be tempted to suggest winding it fully out then back in.
Exactly the same happened to us, but once we wound it back in, it stayed put. It hasn't occurred since, so I think it must just be the cold weather

We had the same a couple of weeks ago, after clearing the snow off the awning I struggled to get the awning to roll in straight. Left it for a couple of hours to warm up and then rolled in fine. Set off for home and about 90 miles later saw in the mirror the awning was probably 12 inches out, managed to pull over and rolled it back in.
Another 90 miles home and it was fine, we have another trip out on Sunday and will see what happens.

IMG_5838.JPG