Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out awning

Robby B

Robby B

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Quick question - is the wind out awning safe / secure to leave wound out overnight, or is it preferable to put away, obviously unless it’s very windy?

I am the same as Monsieur Banana, I lower one corner (in case of rain) and use a tie down kit. If it gets windy or the forecast is bad for wind over night, I will wind it in.

A decent peg in each leg and keep one corner down lower. If the weather is crazy- wind it in. I have a tie down kit but not used it yet.

^^^^^^
This comment

Any wind and it’s worth just winding the awning back in.
The tie down kit is over kill. I have one, used twice. Quicker to stick a tent peg in each foot

I am the same as Monsieur Banana, I lower one corner (in case of rain) and use a tie down kit. If it gets windy or the forecast is bad for wind over night, I will wind it in.
It’s the only way to tension the awning fabric.

I have 4 guy ropes and drop one side as the others have said, if its very windy I don't bother using it.

I always put 2 pegs in each leg, each peg angled opposite to the other so that they are locked into the ground. Makes it very hard for the leg to just pull straight up out of the ground.

I always put 2 pegs in each leg, each peg angled opposite to the other so that they are locked into the ground. Makes it very hard for the leg to just pull straight up out of the ground.

That’s what I do too. If it is too windy for that it should probably be wound in, but I do sometimes use guys or straps to tie it down.

I favour a peg in the foot of each leg with guy ropes from the top of the legs. Decent slope on the awning with a curved Fiamma rafter pro in the middle. Everything comes in if 40+ mph winds are forecast.