Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out windbreak?

Pete M

Pete M

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can anyone recommend a windbreak, I can't decide on a Thule like the one below, expensive at £120 or just go with a regular wooden pole beach affair for less than £20!
thule_omnistor-windscreen-windblocker_3.jpg

Reactions: Loz
We often use just one side of our Comfortz awning tent. Just put the side on where the wind is coming from.

@WelshGas - The size is a bit daunting but seeing the guy smash them into a hard standing pitch with a mallet was very satisfying. I've had a few in my time and the poles have been rubbish quality. It's a rock and a hard place - as is the ground most of the time.;)

Can anyone recommend a windbreak, I can't decide on a Thule like the one below, expensive at £120 or just go with a regular wooden pole beach affair for less than £20!

I would get the expensive one purely because I like the look of the design and I like gadgets :)

@WelshGas - The size is a bit daunting but seeing the guy smash them into a hard standing pitch with a mallet was very satisfying. I've had a few in my time and the poles have been rubbish quality. It's a rock and a hard place - as is the ground most of the time.;)
Mind you, if they can keep dogs in then could be useful for children as well.:D

We often use just one side of our Comfortz awning tent. Just put the side on where the wind is coming from.
Maybe Nick + Comfortz could come up with a Clear side just for use as a windbreak or 50/50 material and clear?

Maybe Nick + Comfortz could come up with a Clear side just for use as a windbreak or 50/50 material and clear?

The long side and the non door side both have massive windows which give a far superior view to a normal windbreak.

I got a light one from go outdoors 20 quid, alu poles 3m long, really useful.

We got a Vango 5 pole windbreak with a long narrow window in it. It is held up by guyropes as well as being pushed into the ground so can withstand windy conditions.
windbreak.jpg

Last edited:
+1
Very pleased with this windbreak ,packs down to a small volume. A bit fiddly first time but Simon really pleased with the quality . Discounted price at Go outdoors.

Review of windbreak
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/accessory/31980-vango-5-pole-windbreak

I think it was the small folded size of the windbreak and the strength of it that sold it to us. We had tried the beach type with wooden poles before, but they took up so much space when not in use.
The Vango is a compact little bundle that can be stuffed in anywhere, yet opens up to a long and wind resistant windbreak.

On the Vango, do you hammer the hammer the poles straight into the ground? Reason I ask is I had a similar windbreak from Outwell that came with pegs that you hammered into the ground and then the poles slotted into the pegs. Unfortunately the pegs were not up for the job and bent out of shape after a couple of uses.

On the Vango, do you hammer the hammer the poles straight into the ground? Reason I ask is I had a similar windbreak from Outwell that came with pegs that you hammered into the ground and then the poles slotted into the pegs. Unfortunately the pegs were not up for the job and bent out of shape after a couple of uses.

If the ground is soft I just pushed the poles in a bit, if it's too hard then the guy ropes do all the work of holding it up. The poles break into 3 parts, which is how the bag is so short. I think if you hit the pole too hard it might distort and make it hard to slot them together.
Never had any problems with it staying up. I used it with a tent before I got the Cali, so have had it for quite a few years now. It is easier to put up with two people, but not essential. One holds the first pole upright and the other puts up the first two guyropes. Easy after the first pole is up.

Last edited:

We had no problems with strong winds on campsite .Clips on the ends of the windbreak which you could attach to the awning.

I've also got the Vango. It's great. So small that there's no problem keeping it in the van all the time. It's probably no good for the beach as it would be hard to get the pegs to hold in soft sand but great on a grassy campsite. It's normally just under £50 but I picked up ours at Decathlon a couple of months ago for £30.

Can someone post a picture if the Vango 5 pole in situ,
I would like to see how it fits around the windout awning before I take the plunge
Also does anyone have a recommendation for a ground sheet that would fit?

I made three sides (Here is one) from the cheap (€ 29) Quencha Tarps, some zippers and a Kadar Strip … took an afternoon and works surprisingly well. Price tag approx. total €160. And it has a really compact packing measure.

If it's windy I have rubber straps (similar to the one on the awning), between pegs and side. They take the load of the gust so the awning doesn't get harmed so easy. When it gets really windy I always wind the awning in.

Sometimes I keep the side with the Kadar on, so you have a minimal shelter to take of wet shoes and coats and prevent the rain to get straight into the car when getting in and out.

This is a real sheep and versatile solution.

IMG_4605.JPG

Back