Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window storage bag for OCEAN (2 seat)

chris ratay traveler

chris ratay traveler

Overlanding South America w T6.1 Ocean 204, 4M+
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Looking for a (quality) window storage bag for my Ocean. I like to go off-road, and these will be used for long-term travel, so quality is most important. I see there are several options, and have read about sagging and looking for reviews. What systems should be avoided?

Van-Essa: https://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de...essories-vw-packing-bags-doublebench-ant.html
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 10.02.50 AM.png

California-Camping: https://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product/storage-solutions/vw-t6-1-t6-t5-california/california-camping-ocean-and-beach-rear-window-bag-with-2-seater-bench/
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 10.04.30 AM.png

FELLeisen: https://en.felleisen.com/product-page/ocean-coast-set
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 10.39.13 AM.png

FELLeisen:
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 10.12.19 AM.png

Last edited:
@chris ratay traveler - not used these ... but from the little I know, if you are doing rough roads, these will not withstand the abuse and fall off from their usual velcro/other fastenings. You may be better using some other kind of packing cubes on the rear bed extension.

If the travel is more on plush European roads, these will do well. South American roads ;) - not sure :thumb

@chris ratay traveler - not used these ... but from the little I know, if you are doing rough roads, these will not withstand the abuse and fall off from their usual velcro/other fastenings. You may be better using some other kind of packing cubes on the rear bed extension.

If the travel is more on plush European roads, these will do well. South American roads ;) - not sure :thumb
If the question is whether they'll stay on on rough roads, I'd worry more about the furniture falling apart than the window bag falling off.

Vanessa have a solid back with foam wedges on the top that stop any movement. Simple design and no fastenings are required. very sturdy.

UK potholes are the ulitmate testing ground!

Recommend Vanessa bags, they haven’t fallen off once.

They physically locate between the blind and the window, there is a foam block to create friction and ensure they do not move, they sit on the trim panel recess and are a slight interference fit.

well made and they do exactly what they say they do.

Looking for a (quality) window storage bag for my Ocean. I like to go off-road, and these will be used for long-term travel, so quality is most important. I see there are several options, and have read about sagging and looking for reviews. What systems should be avoided?

Van-Essa: https://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de...essories-vw-packing-bags-doublebench-ant.html
View attachment 108215

California-Camping: https://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product/storage-solutions/vw-t6-1-t6-t5-california/california-camping-ocean-and-beach-rear-window-bag-with-2-seater-bench/
View attachment 108216

View attachment 108219

FELLeisen:
View attachment 108217
Recommend Van Essa, excellent quality, never fell off once in 4 years of use.

We also have the Van Essa and agree with the previous posts; excellent bit of kit, will serve you well.

Hi there,
I just got the Felleisen for our Ocean and installed them the other day. I chose them because I’ve had their “Smutje bag?” a couple of years and it’s worked perfectly. I bought the Basic vario version, smart choice if I may say so, there is not enough room between the seater and the window to fit the larger version. If you really want you can extend these bags with the zipper and get some more storage, but then you’ll have to fiddle quite a bit to get the bags in place.

The rack sits solid, don’t think it’ll come off due to bad roads. Like someone said earlier, the interior will probably be the first thing to go…

Thanks folks.

@Calimili - it is what it is.

Thanks folks.

@Calimili - it is what it is.
There are some youtube / review of people who tried bringing it offroad and found a few Achilles heel on a Ocean. The vehicle per se is quite good, considered the limitations due to the transmission, height, weight etc. the t6/6.1 will never be a LandRover or a Land Cruiser but can still do a lot. It's the "California Ocean" part of it, the furniture, that may not like how the chassis may flex when not all wheels are on the ground. Or the vibrations due to corrugations on the road may test the solidity of the furniture joints.
Anyway, you certainly have enough experience from your adventures to find remedies and improvements should any problem occur, Of course we would benefit greatly if you report back on the issues you've found, but even better would be if you prove me wrong that my worries are unfounded.

There are some youtube / review of people who tried bringing it offroad and found a few Achilles heel on a Ocean. The vehicle per se is quite good, considered the limitations due to the transmission, height, weight etc. the t6/6.1 will never be a LandRover or a Land Cruiser but can still do a lot. It's the "California Ocean" part of it, the furniture, that may not like how the chassis may flex when not all wheels are on the ground. Or the vibrations due to corrugations on the road may test the solidity of the furniture joints.
Anyway, you certainly have enough experience from your adventures to find remedies and improvements should any problem occur, Of course we would benefit greatly if you report back on the issues you've found, but even better would be if you prove me wrong that my worries are unfounded.
I kinda expected the furniture to rattle a bit...:rolleyes::cool:

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 9.31.25 AM.png

View attachment 108215

View attachment 108216

View attachment 108219

FELLeisen:
View attachment 108217
I echo the previous comments, the Vanessa bags are definitely the way to go. Hold firm and we’ll.

We have VanEssa bags which live permanently in our 3 seat Beach and they are amazing! The only issue we have as we keep our comfort mattress in the back all the time is that it won't stack due to how the bags protrude. So we have to have it in 2 piles to keep it below the height of the bags.

Hi there,
I just got the Felleisen for our Ocean and installed them the other day. I chose them because I’ve had their “Smutje bag?” a couple of years and it’s worked perfectly. I bought the Basic vario version, smart choice if I may say so, there is not enough room between the seater and the window to fit the larger version. If you really want you can extend these bags with the zipper and get some more storage, but then you’ll have to fiddle quite a bit to get the bags in place.

The rack sits solid, don’t think it’ll come off due to bad roads. Like someone said earlier, the interior will probably be the first thing to go…
Do you have any pictures of the combo you went with and how it fits? I’ve been considering the felleisen option.

Do you have any pictures of the combo you went with and how it fits? I’ve been considering the felleisen option.
Hi there, now I'm ready to give you a review from two months of extensive use. :)
I purchased this setup.
California 2 bags set in grey
SKU: TST 5600 18/THM 0201 01-A
Side: right (view in driving direction)
bag combination: 2x BasicVARIO
Thermo cover: Thermal cover in midnight black
Color of Zipper: All bags have the same equipment

BasicVARIO is expandable which I've found really useful and I'm happy that I bought two. The bags are well built and will hold together a lifetime. There is only one caveat and that's how they solved the separation of the 2 compartments in bag. It's a bit tricky the first time to get it right but you'll get use to it. The bag that sits next to rear bench is tricky to access to be honest, especially the bottom compartment, the seat gets in the way. Still, it's been great to use the space for things you don't use everyday. The second bag is easy to access and can be used in its full size, and it's quite big too.

Installation was really easy and I've had no problem at all, nothing have fallen down or so. The only thing to look out for is to make sure that the "frame" is tight in its place in the window.

I'll fix pictures asap.
Chris

Hi there, now I'm ready to give you a review from two months of extensive use. :)
I purchased this setup.

BasicVARIO is expandable which I've found really useful and I'm happy that I bought two. The bags are well built and will hold together a lifetime. There is only one caveat and that's how they solved the separation of the 2 compartments in bag. It's a bit tricky the first time to get it right but you'll get use to it. The bag that sits next to rear bench is tricky to access to be honest, especially the bottom compartment, the seat gets in the way. Still, it's been great to use the space for things you don't use everyday. The second bag is easy to access and can be used in its full size, and it's quite big too.

Installation was really easy and I've had no problem at all, nothing have fallen down or so. The only thing to look out for is to make sure that the "frame" is tight in its place in the window.

I'll fix pictures asap.
Chris
Pictures would be good, @FolkeBuzz . I am considering this product.

I got the ones from https://www.california-camping.de/ for my 3-seater beach and very happy with it. Haven't had other brands' so can't comment on what's best, but had evaluated most of the other mentioned options when deciding and no regrets so far

I purchased this setup.

I'll fix pictures asap.
Chris

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg