Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window Tiniting

Topman

Topman

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
After some advice please

Looking to get the rear windscreen and total 4 side windows in a darker tint

Does anyone have any recommendations where to get it done around West / North Yorkshire and what sort of costs would I be paying ?

Thanks
Chris

Can't help with your area but having mine done on Monday in lumar limo tint 5% I believe. It is going to be £240 and take about 3 hours. Having it done by Southwest tinting in Wellington. Somerset.

Had my T6 Cali done a couple of months ago by Shades tinting north of Birmingham. Very happy with the quality and they spent ages finding the right product to match the laminate glass to the others. Nice people too.

Had my T6 Cali done a couple of months ago by Shades tinting north of Birmingham. Very happy with the quality and they spent ages finding the right product to match the laminate glass to the others. Nice people too.
Hi Craig,
How did they get to the window where the wardrobe is? Am having darker tinting done post delivery by the dealer, but am worried now that one window will look totally different.

image.jpg image.jpg
Can't help with your area but having mine done on Monday in lumar limo tint 5% I believe. It is going to be £240 and take about 3 hours. Having it done by Southwest tinting in Wellington. Somerset.
Very pleased with the result. The attention to detail from these guys is second to none. They went over the windows to eliminate every imperfection before signing the job off. I have a lifetime guarantee as well so will sort out any defects for me.

Hi Craig,
How did they get to the window where the wardrobe is? Am having darker tinting done post delivery by the dealer, but am worried now that one window will look totally different.

They can't get to that window without taking it out or removing the wardrobe. Instead Tony at Shades spent a week finding a tint which was the best match he could possibly get. You can see it if you look for it but considering the fact that it is a black panel behind a glass window which gives a strange effect he did a bloody good job.

View attachment 13936 View attachment 13938
Very pleased with the result. The attention to detail from these guys is second to none. They went over the windows to eliminate every imperfection before signing the job off. I have a lifetime guarantee as well so will sort out any defects for me.

Looks really nice, but too dark for me. Would be interested to hear your feedback on driving at night.

Looks really nice, but too dark for me. Would be interested to hear your feedback on driving at night.
I am not expecting it to be a problem as I tend to use my side mirrors for rear view not my interior mirror. I suppose it will be no different than if I was driving a full panel van.

I am not expecting it to be a problem as I tend to use my side mirrors for rear view not my interior mirror. I suppose it will be no different than if I was driving a full panel van.
Hi, have you had any issues with the dot matrix on the side (non sliding) windows at all ?
Usually does not become evident until it has dried out (about a week).

Hi, have you had any issues with the dot matrix on the side (non sliding) windows at all ?

In my case, this was clearly explained beforehand. I have been left with a silver effect line at the dot matrix on the forward side windows as expected. It is uniform, so doesn't look odd, but again if you know what to look for then it is an obvious sign of an aftermarket tint.

Yes I am aware of this but at the moment nothing is visible, it is like a uniform piece of glass. They were very careful when doing these parts so that they could remove as much air as they could so that the film could stick to the glass properly.

Yes I am aware of this but at the moment nothing is visible, it is like a uniform piece of glass. They were very careful when doing these parts so that they could remove as much air as they could so that the film could stick to the glass properly.
Thanks for the reply. I have had two different tint "experts" tell me nothing can be done other than push down with thumb after 3-4 days to minimise the effect and the thicker the film the worse it is. I think it's a case of finding someone who is prepared to spend a bit more time on it.

I don't think you will ever manage to find anyone who can avoid the issue over the dot matrix. It will appear in time. There simply isn't enough land for the film to stick to the glass and it won't stick to the matrix. At the same time the film won't stretch over the dots which are a raised surface back down to the glass.

Your right, it was suggested to try sanding the dot matrix down but that is way to risky for me.
Glue sticks, which is another option, apparently turn white in time so no better off.

Hi Rich
how are you finding the light inside with the Limo 5% tint ??
Ps looks great on the photos'

@Topman , I have 5% tints and the light is ok inside the van, If you pop the roof, push the bed up and open the top windows you wouldn't know the difference. The main downside for us is when you look out and it always seems a bit grey, however it's great to be in your own little world and have the privacy. In my opinion they are a great finishing touch and on hot days keep the van 65% cooler (I recommend SunTek).

It is a bit darker when inside but your eyes get used to it. Not had a chance to use it in a camping situation yet but as theonecraw says it properly isn't going to be that different. The big benefit is no one can see on so you do not feel like you are in a goldfish bowl and you don't have to worry about leaving coats and bags in the back. I guess on dull days we will just put the lights on as if it was evening. Very pleased indeed.

Back