Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window tint

Calimagg

Calimagg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
IMG_2305.JPG Didnt notice on collection as really sunny, but now the rear window tint looks completely different.
Didn't order privacy glass and tinting was done by dealer after delivery. Surely this can't be right?

That really doesn't look right. My aftermarket tints all look the same shade.

That's what I expected to. Were your windows standard VW before?

IMG_2308.JPG There is a mirror reflection true, as in this pic, but the tint seems completely different

Thanks for the picture Blubus, guess it must be the double glazing on the Ocean. Seems to be more obvious on a lighter colour van.

Does anyone know if I could have a darker tint (maybe limo) added to the rear windows?

I believe it is the double glazing unit as mine looks like yours too and I know the same tint was used on all the windows.

Thanks Seaview. I only went for aftermarket tint because the dealer said how good it was on the Beach he had just done. Suspect the beach doesn't have double glazing as standard.

I really think it spoils the whole look, might talk to him and see if there are any other options i.e. different tint for the rear windows.

I'm planning on talking to the person who did my tinting as I'm not entirely happy with how the film has adhered to the dotty areas on the sliding door and kitchen windows.

Hopefully your dealer can do something to improve the appearance so that it bothers you less.

I have no complaints about the quality at all, just the look.

Will talk to my dealer and post any relevant comments he makes, in case it helps you or others speccing their Cali.

Thanks Seaview. I only went for aftermarket tint because the dealer said how good it was on the Beach he had just done. Suspect the beach doesn't have double glazing as standard.

I really think it spoils the whole look, might talk to him and see if there are any other options i.e. different tint for the rear windows.
Yep you are right - there is no double glazing in a beach.

I'm planning on talking to the person who did my tinting as I'm not entirely happy with how the film has adhered to the dotty areas on the sliding door and kitchen windows.

Hopefully your dealer can do something to improve the appearance so that it bothers you less.
That's the one issue with after market tinting - the tints don't stick to the dot matrix well. The dots are a teflon material. There is not a lot you can do about it I'm afraid.

View attachment 16899 Didnt notice on collection as really sunny, but now the rear window tint looks completely different.
Didn't order privacy glass and tinting was done by dealer after delivery. Surely this can't be right?

Hi Maggs,

Apologies for hijacking your thread....

I spoke to my dealer today at SMG Tonbridge about the extra dark tinting I too have ordered for my Ocean. As my Ocean is now built (yay!!!!) it should be on the boat pretty soon so I spoke with him today just to go through everything.

Interestingly he wanted to speak to me about the tints as the tinting company have highlighted the very issue that you have raised here, i.e., the rear windows being a different shade to the other tints.

According to the tinting company, the reason behind it is the fact that the rear glass is laminated, so whilst the tint is the same depth of colour, the laminated glass makes it appear lighter.

Your attached photo highlights this perfectly, now I just need to decide whether or not to go ahead with it or stick to the standard VW tint :confused:

Trouble is, the VW privacy tint is way too light for my liking, so I might have to live with it! Interestingly it doesn't look too bad in Blubus's image.

Decisions, decisions...:headbang

Hi Maggs,

I spoke to my dealer today at SMG Tonbridge about the extra dark tinting I too have ordered for my Ocean. As my Ocean is now built (yay!!!!) it should be on the boat pretty soon so I spoke with him today just to go through everything.

Interestingly he wanted to speak to me about the tints as the tinting company have highlighted the very issue that you have raised here, i.e., the rear windows being a different shade to the other tints.

According to the tinting company, the reason behind it is the fact that the rear glass is laminated, so whilst the tint is the same depth of colour, the laminated glass makes it appear lighter.

Your attached photo highlights this perfectly, now I just need to decide whether or not to go ahead with it or stick to the standard VW tint :confused:

Trouble is, the VW privacy tint is way too light for my liking, so I might have to live with it! Interestingly it doesn't look too bad in Blubus's image.

Can you not have an external tint?

Another question, how can they tint the glass behind the wardrobe unit if they use an internal tint?

Another question, how can they tint the glass behind the wardrobe unit if they use an internal tint?
External tint is possible but I would doubt how long it would stand up to road grit & washing.
Perhaps a Vinyl Wrap would be an option, with a logo/design of your choice??

WG: good points, I hadn't actually considered on which surface the tint is applied.

My assumption is that they must be external tints, as I cant see how they could dismantle the wardrobe even if they wanted to...

Anyone else have any ideas??

Hi Maggs,

Hi there

Mine also came from SMG which is why they are highlighting this to you now.

However, yours is not the same scenario as mine. I too wanted a darker tint, so on the advice of the dealer, didn't order privacy. Problem is that you then get double glazing, and that is the issue with mine. Believe Blubus's is the same.

You shouldn't have the same problem as privacy is not double glazed. There are threads on here regarding tinting on VW privacy and they all look good.

Their tinter is called Fastline, Matt will be able to answer your questions.

I have the basic VW tint with double glazing with aftermarket limo tint which matches the tint behind the rear wardrobe. Other than a tint on the outside I can't see away around the double glazing issue.

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone has had a new idea? I really want a tint that offers complete privacy in daylight but the contrast/look between the rear and the middle window on all the vans I've seen with double glazing and an after market tint applied on the inside detracts too much from the look I feel. I read that you can only have an internal tint. i also read that one company offered a 10 year warranty on an internal tint but only a year on an external tint. I think I'd be willing to try the external tint on the rear insulated windows and see how it goes.

View attachment 16899 Didnt notice on collection as really sunny, but now the rear window tint looks completely different.
Hi
Just had my windows done today - must have the same issue as it looks identical to yours.

I have the basic VW tint with double glazing with aftermarket limo tint which matches the tint behind the rear wardrobe. Other than a tint on the outside I can't see away around the double glazing issue.
When you say basic VW tint...
Do you mean you didn't order VW privacy glass?
In other words your aftermarket tint is on standard glass?

Or are you calling the vw privacy glass the vw basic tint ?

Has anyone a solution to prevent the two tone appearance on retro tinting a SE when applying an inside privacy film? Does a darker / different privacy film ?

Has anyone a solution to prevent the two tone appearance on retro tinting a SE when applying an inside privacy film? Does a darker / different privacy film ?
Not sure there is a solution. I don't mind it personally.

Anything darker will make you turn on the internal lights earlier, making is possible again to look inside, making the tinting undone.
I even find the original privacy glass quite dark when there is no sun, or it's getting evening.
Then I need to put on the lights, making it look more dak outside, making me close the blinds for no looking in.

I'd rather have some sort of mirror glass, without the real darkening inside.

Back