Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window tint

mario+jill

mario+jill

VIP Member
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good window tinting company in the south Yorkshire/North east Derbyshire area please?
We have a California Ocean with the factory fitted privacy glass but would like it a little darker.
Thanks for your help.

Beware if you add extra tint as you will end if with odd shaded windows as they can't tint the window behind the wardrobe and it looks bloody terrible.

Beware if you add extra tint as you will end if with odd shaded windows as they can't tint the window behind the wardrobe and it looks bloody terrible.
Thanks Victor, that's very useful. We do think that we need to look at obtaining more privacy though.

We made the mistake of adding limo tint and the window behind the wardrobe sticks our like a sore thumb, I have lost count of all the people who think I missed a window out.

Area behind wardrobe is already blacked out so need for a tint.
On my Ocean that is.

Area behind wardrobe is already blacked out so need for a tint.
On my Ocean that is.

The OP already has factory tint, he just wants it darker, if you go a shade darker than original you will get the mismatch

The OP already has factory tint, he just wants it darker, if you go a shade darker than original you will get the mismatch
mine with a dark solar film. Looks the same as the other side due to double glazed effect.

20171008_143152[1].jpg

The rear nearside looks green to me, that is what happened to ours, there is no way round it.
Only get this in certain light conditions and normally it all looks the same. All looks the same from inside and not an issue in practical terms. The day that I took the photo was the first time in 6 months that I'd noticed it on that side (I was taking photo's of the roof edge at the time)
You'll notice that the whole window looks the same even though only the part in front of the wardrobe has been tinted by me. I can't remember what it looked like before.

Never notice that effect on the rear window which is probably due to not having a single glazed window next to it for comparison.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, it's much appreciated.
Sorry to hear that some people have had an extra tint and aren't happy with the results. We have decided to stick with what we have for the time being.

I do recall someone having their rear window removed, tinted and replaced. Not sure how that would affect the warranty??

IMO The benefits of having extra tint far out way any highlighting of the double glazed windows. I have 20% on the sides and 10% (limo) on the rear. Unless you cup you hands around your eyes up against the glass you can't really see in. I love this level of privacy. I sleep with the blinds up to enjoy the panorama of my location upon waking. The van is cooler in sunshine. I can stealth camp anywhere without the need to block my view with blinds just to hide my occupancy. It looks much better than the very un-private std privacy glass. Yes from some angles you can see the mirroring effect from the rear double glazed units but it's minor. From outside the window at the rear of the wardrobe looks completely uniform. It's an inexpensive mod (£180 mine) that can be completely removed if needed. What looks better, tinted or not?

7005249999_59c9488aa8_b.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

I agree Skewif, I am arranging tinting as we speak.

I agree Skewif, I am arranging tinting as we speak.
What tint are you going for? Tint darkness is very subjective. The limo tint on top of the std i'd say is too dark for most people.

What tint are you going for? Tint darkness is very subjective. The limo tint on top of the std i'd say is too dark for most people.

I have asked for one grade down from limo, so guessing 20%. It’s going onto a silver Cali so hoping that it looks the same as yours, from the side.

I was in someones van at the meet last month that had aftermatket tint and it was way too dark inside, the interior of the Cali is dull enough as it is without extra tint adding to the gloom. Standard privacy is perfect for my needs and if I need any more privacy I just close the blinds.

I have 20% on my side windows (dark smoke) and 10% (limo black) on my rear window on my Kombi which does have the factory privacy windows. Even with the extra tinting you can still see inside at night if you have the interior lights on - not as clearly granted, but still visible.

I have asked for one grade down from limo, so guessing 20%. It’s going onto a silver Cali so hoping that it looks the same as yours, from the side.
I hope you will be as pleased as I am. It always looks much darker from the outside than looking from the inside out. window tint.jpg

I am having my windscreen done. Limo plus. Reduce the sun glare :shocked

To complete the look I had the B pillar done in gloss black at a car wrapping company. Asked only £15 for both sides but because they had no change they took just £10. If only I could remember who they were to big them up. It was in an industrial estate in Chichester.

Looks just like the T6 window van our local undertaker uses. No seats in the back but a funny plinth on the rails.

Looks just like the T6 window van our local undertaker uses. No seats in the back but a funny plinth on the rails.

That's not a plinth!

It's the box holding the thetford qube :shocked

Back