Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window Tints

Topman

Topman

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
When I got my Black California Beach it came with factory fitted tints. I believe these are 30-40% darker

Im looking to darken them further , but not sure how the "grading" works

I don't want to go limo style

Has any one any experiences or photo's to share

Thanks
Chris

Hi we went for laminated, so only the greenish tint of the glass and then had the dealer arrange for a tint when the van arrived.

I spoke to the company that did the tint before they did it and they said there were basically only two tints used, limo and a mid level tint which they said most people went for. We had this done and are very pleased with the results.

I think I put a photo in an earlier post about our first night away (stuck in a field!). If you can find that you can see what ours looks like.

I'm guessing though in your case you may want a light level of tint to get somewhere near to a medium tint to avoid the limo look.

Also I think there is a regulation about how much light comes through, so any company doing tinted glass ouvght to be able to tell you what the maximum level of tint is that they can apply.

I'm pleased we did laminated plus tint because as you are probably finding the factory tint isn't really quite dark enough for a camper van.

The regulation on window tinting only applies to the windscreen & front door windows. You can go as dark as you want with all other windows.

My cali has VW privacy glass. I wanted the windows darker & had tint film fitted by auto eclipse in Aylesbury.
/www.eclipseautotint.co.uk/film-shades-and-types/ this shows the different level of tint & the two types of tint available.

I don't remember which level of tint I had, it cost £250 & took John most of the day. He is a self confessed perfectionist ! Having used my cali like this I would, in hindsight, have gone for a lighter tint as it is dark inside. On the other hand you can not see inside unless your face is pressed against the window.

Hope this is of some help.

I never fancied tinted glass on "normal" cars, but thought it necessary for a California as there is inevitably "stuff" lying around & you don't want to be peered at whilst eating or worse...

So I ordered my 2013 Cali with the factory tinted option.

As soon as I saw it in daylight, I thought it was inadequate as you could still see clearly everything inside.

After a couple of years use, I just had the rear side windows additionally filmed with Glastint XS 35 (the lightest they do - about equivalent to the original) without touching the boot or front side windows.

I think that result is OK as you need to really peer close to the windows to see anything inside, but don't notice too much looking out or reading inside.
I wouldn't have wanted anything darker.

Interestingly, Glastint lent me their Polo demonstrator while they were working.
It had their next-level tinting on all side & rear windows.
- When I tried to signal to another driver, he (obviously!) couldn't see my signal...
- It was impossible to read anything on the dashboard, including the speedometer!!!

I am looking for options for some sun protection on the drivers and passenger side windows in the cab.

Especially for those long drives when the sun shines directly onto your arm.

Has anyone added additional tinting or a removable screen. Other than trapping a towel in the window or wearing a long sleeve shirt.:cool:

I am looking for options for some sun protection on the drivers and passenger side windows in the cab.

Has anyone added additional tinting or a removable screen. Other than trapping a towel in the window or wearing a long sleeve shirt.:cool:
As I said in my last post it is not legal to go any darker on the front windows. Definately not legal, or advisable to cover window with towel. You shouldn't have problems unless you drive very long days in extremely sunny conditions.
You could always use sun block.
This has also been discussed before.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Just one thing to note,
If you have the side and rear windows tinted (aftermarket) remember that the rear most side windows and the tailgate window is double glazed, and this will give a very slight mirror effect to the glass,

Sunglasses and aircon :) I would love that problem, cold and wet today :(

I've ask my dealer to fit extra tint by installing film. I hope you can see the result in this picture. It give me privacy enought

IMG_20150502_200130876.jpg

Hi we went for laminated, so only the greenish tint of the glass and then had the dealer arrange for a tint when the van arrived.

I spoke to the company that did the tint before they did it and they said there were basically only two tints used, limo and a mid level tint which they said most people went for. We had this done and are very pleased with the results.

I think I put a photo in an earlier post about our first night away (stuck in a field!). If you can find that you can see what ours looks like.

I'm guessing though in your case you may want a light level of tint to get somewhere near to a medium tint to avoid the limo look.

Also I think there is a regulation about how much light comes through, so any company doing tinted glass ouvght to be able to tell you what the maximum level of tint is that they can apply.

I'm pleased we did laminated plus tint because as you are probably finding the factory tint isn't really quite dark enough for a camper van.

Do you know how much you paid for the tint?

Perhaps an oversight but I didn't order privacy glass on my T6 Ocean due to arrive in a few weeks (just heard today that it's arrived in port so not long now). However, judging from the comments here I would probably want an additional tint anyway.

I've had a quote for, err hem, £530 + VAT... I know Aberdeen is the back of beyond but surely there are cheaper options around???

Any advice welcome :)

We were quoted £240 about 2 years ago by the dealer, so they were taking a cut too. I'd ask around a bit.

I was quoted less than 300 a couple of months ago - can't remember the exact amount but between 250 and 300

I had mine done few weeks ago.

Tailgate and rear side windows in limo 10%, and middle side windows (side door and kitchen) 25%.

180 by local garage with very good reviews. This is in London. I wanted a specific brand of film used Llumar.

Looks great inside and out. He has done a good job. Can post a pic later.

Last edited:
As promised some pictures of the Sunglasses we bought for Stanley.

He originally had privacy glass (2015 plate), which was not private enough given our plans for a long term road trip around Europe.

So, we added Llumar film onto tailgate (10%), rear-most side windows (10%), middle side windows (25%). This cost £180 via Mr Tint in London - www.windowtinting.london

I've included some internal shots, when I was deciding on % tint I wanted to understand the impact of the tinting internally, you can also see the difference inside between the 10% and 25%.

This is on a winter sun day (January).

24039543254_1371e1243d_z.jpg

24372164900_2e6c12810f_z.jpg

24667717025_dd378d7115_z.jpg

24641491606_4cccca59bb_z.jpg

Looks great in the pictures. Very mirrored from the outside and good visibility from inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. My van is reflex silver and I was also concerned that a dark tint would look too much - but liking the pictures so feel reassured that it will look great :) .

I've been advised by a neighbour who has vans for business that the company that has quoted £530 + VAT removes the windows to tint and this is the reason they're so expensive (and takes 48 hours)... however that then leads me to wonder how any potential leaks or issues would impact on my warranty if done after delivery...?

My VW dealer has recommended the same, ultra expensive company (no surprise there, I guess). Hence, I have asked them is they are able to have it done before delivery hoping that this would then cover my concern above.

In the meantime still keen to hear from anyone who can advise on a reputable window tinter in north east Scotland..

Thanks, Alison

Thanks for the replies. My van is reflex silver and I was also concerned that a dark tint would look too much - but liking the pictures so feel reassured that it will look great :) .

I've been advised by a neighbour who has vans for business that the company that has quoted £530 + VAT removes the windows to tint and this is the reason they're so expensive (and takes 48 hours)...

For reference the job on my van (pics above) did not involve removing windows!! Standard practice, they apply a film to the inside of the window. So long as you pick a quality window tinter (person and film) this should come with lifetime guarantee. The film I wanted was Llumar (after research).

Here is an example fitter in Glasgow (I have no personal experience with them), you may just need to do some web research.
http://www.mrtints.co.uk/

What i would like to hear is , how does the film on the sliding window(s) wear in time using the fly-screen.
I got the impression it would get scratched in time .
I had windows tinted on my LR Defender and in the back it had sliding windows where marks appeared in time , also stains from dog nose appeared to stay afther cleaning. Must say it was no film but window out and in a colored bath they went .

Nice to hear from only people who got their windows tinted with film...
I am thinking of having the windows done with film , here in Belgium or Holland , any recomandition welcome (although don't think many can help me on thatone)

Do you know how much you paid for the tint?

Perhaps an oversight but I didn't order privacy glass on my T6 Ocean due to arrive in a few weeks (just heard today that it's arrived in port so not long now). However, judging from the comments here I would probably want an additional tint anyway.

I've had a quote for, err hem, £530 + VAT... I know Aberdeen is the back of beyond but surely there are cheaper options around???

Any advice welcome :)
Think it was about £280 for both sides and rear

I never fancied tinted glass on "normal" cars, but thought it necessary for a California as there is inevitably "stuff" lying around & you don't want to be peered at whilst eating or worse...

So I ordered my 2013 Cali with the factory tinted option.

As soon as I saw it in daylight, I thought it was inadequate as you could still see clearly everything inside.

After a couple of years use, I just had the rear side windows additionally filmed with Glastint XS 35 (the lightest they do - about equivalent to the original) without touching the boot or front side windows.

I think that result is OK as you need to really peer close to the windows to see anything inside, but don't notice too much looking out or reading inside.
I wouldn't have wanted anything darker.

Interestingly, Glastint lent me their Polo demonstrator while they were working.
It had their next-level tinting on all side & rear windows.
- When I tried to signal to another driver, he (obviously!) couldn't see my signal...
- It was impossible to read anything on the dashboard, including the speedometer!!!
I like the idea of darkening the rear sode windows to stop people peeping in.

I like the idea of darkening the rear sode windows to stop people peeping in.
Don't know about stopping people pearing in but it definitely makes it more private ,you have to get up nearly with your nose touching to see inside

Back