Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

windscreen cover dilemma

B

Bev Farnsworth

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We’re thinking of buying a Thermal Windsceen cover for our California and have a choice of Silver or Black?? Not seen a black one before. What’s the consensus?? Black would look good on our Pearlescent White van but not sure, won’t black retain heat in the summer??

We’re thinking of buying a Thermal Windsceen cover for our California and have a choice of Silver or Black?? Not seen a black one before. What’s the consensus?? Black would look good on our Pearlescent White van but not sure, won’t black retain heat in the summer??
I think if you tested the inside/windscreen surface with an Infra Red Thermometer you would probably be hard pressed to notice any difference in temperature no matter what the outside fabric colour is.
The insulation is within the cover.

We bought a black one from the shop had silver screens previously haven't noticed any difference in temperature.

Had our black (silver backing) one on every hot day in Austria and it was incredible effective at shading and cooling the van inside.

Black will always be hotter than silver hence have a higher temperature. Assuming the insulation is the same in both products, it is obvious that the internal surface temperature will be higher with the black version. The temperature difference is what drives the heat into the van.

Black will always be hotter than silver hence have a higher temperature. Assuming the insulation is the same in both products, it is obvious that the internal surface temperature will be higher with the black version. The temperature difference is what drives the heat into the van.
Not necessarily. If the Black External material has a reflective lining it will insulate as well as the silver one. The Silver, or more Grey, external material also absorbs heat and also depends on the reflective properties of the lining material.

+1 for silver. Reflects the sun in hot weather, makes the inside just a little cooler. The insulation keeps the van warmer in the winter.
Get one that separates into 3 parts with Velcro joining them. I saw one recently that was sewn at the join between the front and the sides. You had to open both doors to fit it and then shut them.

I think it would.
You don´t see many black sun hats.
You do in California, and in fact Black and dark coloured cars are more common than White and Silver.

You do in California, and in fact Black and dark coloured cars are more common than White and Silver.
Yeah but they don´t know what they´re doing over there man.
I thought silver would reflect the heat more than a black
screen cover.

If it's primarily to keep the interior cool in summer I think the Brandrup external Isolite style is best. Rather than grey/ silver coloured its reflective "tin foil" really bounces the Suns heat away.
Having said that I wouldn't recomend the Brandrup one. Given the price the quality is suspect. The finish is very good but the actual insulation material they use is not designed to be folded. It delaminates along the creases and when wet collects water inbetween the layers.

In summer the shading effect is far more important than the insulation, ie removal of the greenhouse effect. The colour choice won’t have much impact at all, the ambient temperature will enter the vehicle from many other areas, unless you are running the a/c. Arguably, insulated Black could be an advantage in cold environments when you want to absorb the suns rays.

Thanks everyone. As I suspected everyone’s got a different opinion. Still none the wiser. Lol. But thanks anyway.

Thanks everyone. As I suspected everyone’s got a different opinion. Still none the wiser. Lol. But thanks anyway.
Foil is extremely efficient at reflecting heat hence the space blanket. Black is similarly efficient at absorbing heat hence the solar shower. The optimum to me is therefore insulation with foil on one side and black the other. Foil outside in summer and black outside in winter.

I have some silver screens that are fitted on the inside with suckers,
i like them, they pack up small.
When its not so hot i use the slide out blinds on the windscreen
and the cotton side blinds.
I wouldn´t use any external blinds because there will be a time
that i would have to pack them up when they´re wet.

B2C00A94-7FBA-429D-B212-8B09B87E6288.png
We find this keeps our van cool enough for us