Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen cover, inside or outside?

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Total newbie but it sounds like a sensible buy to get a windscreen cover which sound better than the clip on bits that come with the Beach. Are outside ones better to get than inside?

Was thinking of an outside one from Rainbow screens as the kids want one with eyes on it! Are they a good make to buy one from?

Thanks!

Total newbie but it sounds like a sensible buy to get a windscreen cover which sound better than the clip on bits that come with the Beach. Are outside ones better to get than inside?

Was thinking of an outside one from Rainbow screens as the kids want one with eyes on it! Are they a good make to buy one from?

Thanks!
We found Rainbow Screens to be excellent products, ours has dog paws on it :)

Prefer external as reduces condensation internally

External is better at reducing condensation vs most internal solutions (brandrup isolite extreme getting very close). They are easy to fit. They do get wet and that has to be dealt with on packing away.
Edit: if you wild camp and think you might need a speedy getaway if trouble arrived, internal are best as you don't need to leave the van to remove (but may have to demist your screen ;))

I use the internal one mostly- folds up small and easy to take down in the rain - usually sleep with a bit of ventilation (window open a bit) so condensation usually manageable

I have an external one bought from club shop - takes up a lot of room to pack away - but does give good black out

Thanks!
Depends:

For me the only downside to internal is the potential for condensation, which in cold, wet weather can be quite a bit. But for me there’s more disadvantages for external ones:
  • If the get wet/dirty when you pack up they’re a pain to bag and travel with (especially if you have lots of short stays consecutively).
  • If you’re off site/off grid (what some call wild camping)
    • if you have to leave a location sharpish you have to leave the van or put down a window to remove the screen before you can drive off (a couple of times I’ve been grateful I could just pull down internal screens and drive off in dodgy situations, when I’ve been on my own).
    • if you leave the van they could be nicked
I bought our internal blinds from CAK Tanks ready made for ve. They also sell their insulation ”fabric” and accessories to make your own.

Back