Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen Question for ALL Forum members.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Q1 - What is the BEST Windowcleaner for the INSIDE of the windscreen.
This low winter sun, when we get it, shows up all the smears etc: Is there a consensus as to what is the best cleaner for the interior surface of the windscreen of an automobile. UK recommendations only.

Q2 - What is the best way to clean the inside windscreen surface? Cloth/Paper towel/Microfibre etc:

i always use a windowcleaner , those blue liquides , in a handspray
Spray on , wipe with kitchenpaper ....
Change to dry kitchenpaper and wipe dry...
Works for me

I've got a micro fibre demist pad that cleans the inside very well, mirrors too.

Ho Ho Ho!

Domestic Bliss!

I use Halfords cheapest interior window spray and Microfibre cloth. Works brilliantly.

The story:

I was giving my Sister a lift in our "shared" BMW. "Shared" so far means I pay, she uses, she cleans. It was dark, raining. I couldn't see a thing.

"Jo, when did you last clean this windscreen?" .... blank look.

"Jo, when did you last change the wiper blades"? ...... "I haven't" .... the car is 3 years old :shocked

So dearest loving Sister Jennifer, blowing a complete gasket, screeches into Halfords car park just as they were hoping to close, grabs the first window cleaner in sight, a handful of microfibres, storms outside after paying, throws them at dearest sibling with growls such as "let me show you how to clean a windscreen"..

It did, it cleaned well, and I now use it on Alberts interior!

Pay someone to do it....

Q2 microfibre cloth.

I've tried a few now use Auto Finesse Crystal and newspaper, no matter what microfibre towels I used they always shed fibres. Not saying it is the best but it works well for me.

1. Firstly remove all greasy contaminate deposits
Diluted white vinegar or warm soapy water washed onto glass with lint free cloth or sponge,keep off paintwork as much as possible
When clean (glass should be bead free when wiped with wet sponge) I go over with damp clean sponge followed by a good wipe with my dubflector synthetic chamois (silicone or grease free).......see them Windows sparkle!
2. Dubflector Synthetic chamois

Alan

Keep them coming. No real consensus yet.

DSG windscreens stay cleaner than those with manual boxes because there is less aerosol action from hand and arm movement :shocked

:Grin
DSG windscreens stay cleaner than those with manual boxes because there is less aerosol action from hand and arm movement :shocked
But our bulging arm muscles are better for windscreen cleaning than withered DSG limbs :D

Bowl of warm water with a touch of Fairy Liquid (other similar products are available) and an old dishcloth followed with old towel to dry off.

But our bulging arm muscles are better for windscreen cleaning than withered DSG limbs :D
You'll be saying Beach windows stay cleaner longer than SE Windows next. Less cooking on board.:D

At least I can clean my windscreen on the go, whilst stopped halfway across a convenient roundabout !

Q1 Not sure I've found the best yet, but currently use Mr Muscle Glass cleaner. Takes quite a bit of polishing to remove smears though.
Q2 Microfibre, plus paper towel for stubborn smears.

Oh, there's a thought.
You mean you didn't get the self cleaning add on?!
Had a new windscreen fitted in the summer and can still see through it...
Lots of good ideas here though.
Perhaps I should send the teenager out to do a scientific study on the best method...:D:D

Oh, there's a thought.
You mean you didn't get the self cleaning add on?!
Had a new windscreen fitted in the summer and can still see through it...
Lots of good ideas here though.
Perhaps I should send the teenager out to do a scientific study on the best method...:D:D
Could you. My 5 have all left home.:thumb

I use the Polish dudes at the local car wash.
Very clear inside and out.

I used baby wipes on my windscreen and it smeared so badly it almost became opaque.

I think a lot depends on just what is on the windscreen. I do hate it when someone climbs into my car or van, that may be a bit steamed up, and starts clearing patches of glass with their hands.

I gave the vicar a lift on Sunday and he did just that, clearing the side window before the demists were given a chance to work.

fortunately I am anglican and not Catholic otherwise I would be spending more time in the confessional than in Albert after my response :oops::shocked

Thanks for bringing up this subject (cleaning windscreen inside & out) as it is a continuing struggle for me & I await the miracle solution with interest!

I have generally used concentrated washing-up liquid in hot water but am never very happy with the results (smears still visible against sunlight & lamps).
My wife swears by microfiber cloths but I tried several with very poor results, both new cloths & straight after machine-washing them.
I get better results with freshly-washed old cotton sheets or handkerchiefs than with microfiber.

I think the best results have been with washing-up liquid on wet newspaper, but it is very inconvenient (black hands & black anything you rub against).

I tried alcohol without being very pleased either.

The French (where I am) use white vinegar for lots of cleaning tasks, but I have not tried that yet as I am doubtful about the smell & possible corrosion.

Years ago I gave up trying the special windscreen cleaner products as they all seemed so useless.
Maybe it's time to try again??

So please keep the solutions coming & I look forward to the best method!

I use a holt microfibre cloth, was about 4 quid
It absorbs loads of water and leaves a showroom clean screen.
the windscreen is one of the major delights of the Cali for me.
It is not allowed on any other window, and I air dry it on the handle by the drivers door
On the other Windows I have one of those rubber things that window cleaners use.works a treat.

There used to be a consensus that the world was flat!

Back